GR Research Brute Speakers

VinceT

Re: GR Research Brute Speakers
« Reply #80 on: 28 Nov 2023, 03:11 am »
I always find using EQ anywhere except the mid/low bass sucks some of the life out of the music. 

I'd use EQ on the 50hz peak and that's it.  Try that first and listen to it for a while before doing any other EQ.  I think you'll find the music more lively doing it this way.

I couldn't agree more - room correction sucks the life out of it. Good to take measurements to see where the peaks are. I would decouple from the floor if haven't already done so, away from the walls, do nearfield positioning first. Secondly after more measurements do room treatments if possible, EQ cut on low end would if needed.

Denton J

« Reply #81 on: 30 Nov 2023, 03:52 pm »
I like the Brute concept.  I'm curious how the brutes paired with doubles compare against the bully.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #82 on: 30 Nov 2023, 05:13 pm »
I like the Brute concept.  I'm curious how the brutes paired with doubles compare against the bully.

Based on design, I'd say the Bully is more open to lower powered amps due to it having an MTM design and the amp only driving the midrange.  With dual midrange drivers and higher efficiency, the Bully would have more dynamics and 'jump factor' in these areas.

I think overall the Bully is the better design, but that's expected with the higher price point.

DLStryker

« Reply #83 on: 30 Nov 2023, 07:42 pm »
Top octave drop out like that is common in every room.

Another tip is to be sure to measure one speaker at a time. Trying to measure them both at the same time can cause pretty rough results down low.

Danny, that "rough results down low".  Is that what your ears actually hear?  Or is that a non-audible quirk that come along with measuring two speaker at the same time?

BrandonB

« Reply #84 on: 30 Nov 2023, 09:58 pm »
Based on design, I'd say the Bully is more open to lower powered amps due to it having an MTM design and the amp only driving the midrange.  With dual midrange drivers and higher efficiency, the Bully would have more dynamics and 'jump factor' in these areas.

I think overall the Bully is the better design, but that's expected with the higher price point.

Tyson before I purchased the Otica I was torn between it and the Bully.  I finally decided on the Otica.  I live a few hours from GR Research so I made a day of to pick up my Otica kit.  While I was there I  was able to listen to the bully and man did those speakers sound great.  I had an amplifier built by SMc Audio that I hadn't had a chance to listen to and Danny let me hook it up to his system.  It's pretty cool to listen to your amp thru a high end system like that for the first time.  I just hope it doesn't ruin me when I set it up in my system.  My point in writing this is I would have been very happy with  the bully.  The Bully is definitely hi-end.  It sounded amazing and I bet you could probably take it a little further in the crossover. 

Presb4

« Reply #85 on: 2 Dec 2023, 05:09 pm »
Danny, that "rough results down low".  Is that what your ears actually hear?  Or is that a non-audible quirk that come along with measuring two speaker at the same time?

DLStryker,
If you are referring to the measurements I posts, yes that is what I am hearing un-corrected in my room. If I was not clear how I took those measurements, they are in room measurements, and not speaker measurements.

Everyone's room will effect the sound you hear differently based on its size, speaker positioning, and where you sit in that room. There is no way for any designer to create a speaker that will measure perfect in every room combination. If you haven't measured your room before I suggest you try it, you may be shocked how moving around the room and moving the speakers changes things. This is why I originally did not post the measurements below 200Hz as those measurements are not a true reflection of what the Brutes measure in other rooms. The reason I did the second set of measurements was because I imagined many would like to know if the Brutes are full range, and my measurements show that they are very close.

The bass you get with the Brutes is very good and well controlled. If you want or need better control and a flatter more extended bass response that is what the Bully was designed to do. As the Bully uses a servo woofer you can measure your room and dial in the bass level and even pull some of the peaks out if you have too much room gain as I do. But that flexibility comes at a higher cost. I already had a mini-DSP with Dirac so I just used that to pull the 55Hz peak down the same as the PEQ setting on the servo sub amp would do in the Bully.

In the end I am very happy with the sound of the Brutes with my system and in my room. So when looking at the results I posted, read them with a grain of salt knowing other rooms will have different results.