Isolating the Crossover Board

Glady86

Isolating the Crossover Board
« on: 28 Jul 2023, 05:27 pm »

I put these isolation devices under the crossover boards. I guess they work because I can feel the cabinet vibrate with the bass tones but the Crossover board doesn't vibrate nearly as much. I'm not sure if vibrating crossover parts make an impact on sound quality but I had the devices on hand and not in use so why not try it.

Anyone else try this? or any comments welcomed.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Isolating the Crossover Board
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2023, 08:01 pm »
  I am a huge fan of an outboard crossover AWAY from the speaker. Made a big difference with everyone we did.

charles

Glady86

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2023, 08:14 pm »

I am a huge fan of an outboard crossover AWAY from the speaker. Made a big difference with everyone we did.

charles

Hi, that would be the best solution to eliminate the vibrations from the cabinet. I didn't comment on perceived improvements, but I think it improved clarity, though the clarity was already excellent before the tweak.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2023, 09:58 pm »

I really wanted to build external crossovers for my current DIY speakers, but couldn't figure out where to put them. The only two options I had was the floor or the shelves behind the speakers. Either option would require several feet of extra cables plus connectors and crossover cabinets. Then I'd have to isolate the crossover cabinets from vibrations of the subwoofers which would have been two feet away. The more practical alternative was to install the crossovers inside the speaker cabinets. 

BrandonB

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2023, 03:54 am »
What if you had an external crossover box and dampened it with no-rez. 

nrenter

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2023, 02:02 pm »
I always liked the idea of 1) a separate chamber accessible from the bottom of the speaker, or 2) the crossover as a piece of audio jewelry exposed on the back of the speaker. While neither completely isolates the crossover, it does pull it out of the primary resonance cavity.

ric

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2023, 02:05 pm »
When I upgraded my OB speakers crossovers I ended up with an external crossover. The cokecan sizes of Jupiter caps required using gasket sealer (recommended by Herbies Audio Lab) in lieu of other caulking type material for better sound quality.
Eventually I put some IsoAcoustics footers under the crossovers and did/do hear a difference. Not huge, but noticeable.
And more recently on some Tekton speakers that use 52 screws total holding the speakers, I replaced them with brass screws and heard a big difference--not as bright, mellower but better.
Then I replaced THOSE with titanium screws and it's the best of both worlds, not bright but clear, with tight bass and more realistic sound and imaging.
Who knew screws holding your speakers would make a difference!

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2023, 02:36 pm »
Who knew screws holding your speakers would make a difference!

It's amazing that everything matters!

External crossovers probably benefit from other stuff besides reduced vibration. Most people who build them are likely to use higher quality parts and better wire.

nrenter

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2023, 03:49 pm »
Most people who build them are likely to use higher quality parts and better wire.

Agreed...so why not show them off! I generally see a dogpiling of components (with some consideration to inductor separation), but a few more cm of wire between components is not going to make a material difference. Top-mount the components with electromagnetic, electrical, AND aesthetic considerations, and connect them on the underside. Display crossovers as jewelry. As my late father in law used to say to my wife, "Stick your ***s out there, Amanda Rae. Be proud of who you are."

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2023, 05:01 pm »
I could not resist the urge to show off my XO's again lol

I will upgrading the internal wiring and rebuilding the wood to look a lot nicer this winter. Wider and longer and roundovers ect.

Also was thinking about putting damping on the xo mount.

Jaytor

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2023, 08:05 pm »
I could not resist the urge to show off my XO's again lol

I will upgrading the internal wiring and rebuilding the wood to look a lot nicer this winter. Wider and longer and roundovers ect.

Also was thinking about putting damping on the xo mount.

The ARE exquisite, so why not show them off again.  :thumb:

goggle1824

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2023, 01:42 am »
First time I’m seeing them and AGREE, definitely saving the pics for possible personal implementation, very nicely done!

BrandonB

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2023, 08:26 pm »
I am curious if mounting the crossover on a piece of panzerholz (richlite) in an external box would help improve sound.  SMc audio does this for their amplifiers.  Patrick from SMc Audio said it was the one greatest modification that they done to improve sound.  I am not sure what a small piece of richlite cost but it might be worth a try.

Glady86

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2023, 09:42 pm »
I am curious if mounting the crossover on a piece of panzerholz (richlite) in an external box would help improve sound.  SMc audio does this for their amplifiers.  Patrick from SMc Audio said it was the one greatest modification that they done to improve sound.  I am not sure what a small piece of richlite cost but it might be worth a try.
  Panzerholz has good damping properties. Some people claim good results when using it with turntable plinth construction. And turntables are without a doubt sensitive to vibration.

Just from what I did with the isolation footers has knocked the vibration level down enough that Im not sure it would make any difference pursuing anything further. Though it wouldn't hurt to try it. And, then youll have people claim vibrations of passive components won't affect the sound anyway, I guess because they can't measure the affect and show it on a chart.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2023, 09:03 am by Glady86 »

NoahH

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2023, 02:02 pm »
When I made my nx-tremes, set the crossover in the bottom of the cabinet but left enough slack wire to easily pull them out. For more critical listening, I will often just pull them out and let them sit behind the speakers. If gets them out of the shared cabinet, if I set them slightly to the side, then there is very little direct energy from the driver's hitting them. Certainly not the most beautiful of approaches, but it was very easy.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2023, 02:07 pm »
My N2X's have external Skiing Ninja XO's in a plexiglass top box.  Just terminals on the speaker cabinet and cable to connect them.

Sean did a great job on them!

nrenter

« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2023, 04:51 pm »
Another consideration to add to the mix...

If they are parallel crossovers, the high-pass section could be on a completely separate board from the low pass.

T4Man

« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2023, 09:08 pm »
Sure, nerds like us appreciate a pretty crossover, but what about everyone else?  :green:

undertowogt1

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2023, 02:18 am »
My rendition of a Spatial M3 Turbo crossover.  It was a stressful but fun project.

« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2023, 03:24 am by undertowogt1 »

BrandonB

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2023, 09:59 pm »
When I made my nx-tremes, set the crossover in the bottom of the cabinet but left enough slack wire to easily pull them out. For more critical listening, I will often just pull them out and let them sit behind the speakers. If gets them out of the shared cabinet, if I set them slightly to the side, then there is very little direct energy from the driver's hitting them. Certainly not the most beautiful of approaches, but it was very easy.
Do you notice a difference in sound when you pull the crossover out of the speaker?