Plate Amp Power Cable

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
Plate Amp Power Cable
« on: 24 Jul 2023, 08:18 pm »
I am looking at GR power cables for plate amps and have a few questions.

Do I want the 16 or 24 strand?

Is 10' too long? 8' might work but it would be tight.

Wire management, how close can this cable be without touching to interconnects and speaker wire assuming I have very good cables?

The 24 strand is only slightly more expensive, so would it be better to use do to close proximity to other cables?

Thanks Everyone,

Wayne in Oregon

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Plate Amp Power Cable
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2023, 09:51 pm »
10' is too long and will over filter the power, reducing dynamics, so the max is 8', with the optimal being 5-6'

For subwoofers, there's not a big difference in performance between the cables other than a slight boost in efficiency due to the larger gauge.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2023, 01:28 am »
OK, Thanks

Wayne in Oregon

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2023, 11:08 pm »
If by plate amp you mean a sub woofer plate amp then the additional filtering of a long cable won't be a problem.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
Re: Sub Woofer Plate Amp Power Cable
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2023, 12:34 am »
If by plate amp you mean a sub woofer plate amp then the additional filtering of a long cable won't be a problem.

Yes, a sub woofer plate amp. (updated title)

I would be crossing over someware around 70Hz to 120-150Hz ish.

The wall plug outlet is about 8' from the sub location as the crow flys. But due to wire management it needs to be 10'.

I know I need to keep all cables at least 3" apart and cross other wires at a 90*. However in real life I dont have enough room to keep everthing spaced properly all the way through the run. So I want to replace all my wires/cables/interconnects with the braided wire technology. And also for the sonic improvement.

So I could get the 7' and add the lenth with a heavyduty 3' extension cord?

Or as Danny says just make it 10' and not worry about it?

I getting my sub plate amp in a week and then a month later do the cable.

Thank You very much.

Wayne in Oregon

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2023, 03:54 am »
The wall plug outlet is about 8' from the sub location as the crow flys. But due to wire management it needs to be 10'.

You answered your own question. I've been using a 10' power cord for one of my subs for 10 years, no problem.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2023, 05:10 am »
You answered your own question. I've been using a 10' power cord for one of my subs for 10 years, no problem.

Ok, is it a standard cable or the multistranded style like Danny sells?

The cable that comes with the amp will be too short. I will have to use a extension cable to the outlet. So I wanted it to be one cable, and I wanted to try out Danny's solution.

I know I could build or buy an AC Power cable 10' long and use large gauge wire and sheilding and fancy terminals.

Hobbsmeerkat said "10' is too long and will over filter the power, reducing dynamics, so the max is 8', with the optimal being 5-6' " That is refering to Danny's multistranded cable.

Danny said "If by plate amp you mean a sub woofer plate amp then the additional filtering of a long cable won't be a problem."  That is refering to Danny's multistranded cable.

So if Danny's cables are more for sorces, maybe I will wait to get one when I get a new sorce or preamp. My DAC is my sorce/volume control for now sporting a +12 volt supply with an expensive DIY cable.

But for the sub I will need a long AC cable.

When the time comes I will call and talk to Danny first then pull trigger on what ever I decide to do.

Thanks to all  :D

Wayne in Oregon

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2023, 11:46 am »
Dude -- you're really overthinking this. Do NOT use an extension cord. Just order 10 feet of Danny's power cord if that's what you want. 

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2023, 12:58 pm »
Dude -- you're really overthinking this. Do NOT use an extension cord. Just order 10 feet of Danny's power cord if that's what you want.

I overthink everything, its a curse :duh:

Wayne in Oregon

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2023, 01:05 pm »
IME, Hobbs is wrong, the longer power cables do not 'overfilter' the AC.  I run 12 foot runs in my setup and it sounds great, and a LOT better than the stock power cables.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2023, 01:08 pm »
I overthink everything, its a curse :duh:

Nah, not a curse -- a spleen-stomach imbalance. Plenty of audiophiles obsess over the details. 
https://www.tcmworld.org/what-is-tcm/the-five-major-organ-systems/promoting-stomach-health-with-five-element-theory/

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2023, 01:55 pm »
IME, Hobbs is wrong, the longer power cables do not 'overfilter' the AC.  I run 12 foot runs in my setup and it sounds great, and a LOT better than the stock power cables.

Thanks Tyson

Thanks Early B, Yes my gut is in poor health, and I have been suffering with anxiety/depression since I was a kid. Now I have Crohn's disease, not cool.

The only thing I have left is my stereo and I finally did get a sub kit. The plate amp will arive in about two weeks. So that makes my happy.

Thanks Everyone,

Wayne in Oregon