Pelicans Game Switcher

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Pelicans Game Switcher
« on: 26 Nov 2003, 12:11 am »
Has anyone used the new Pelican game system switcher?  It's a component width (ie 17" wide) switcher with 8 ( :o ) component inputs, 3 of which have optical digital inputs, for $100!  Cripes, eight component inputs!  You could hook up your X'box, P2, GC & still have 5 spaces.

For $100 I wouldn't expect perfect transparency, but I won't how good it does look?  That's been a source of annoyance for me- I have 2 component inputs, but 3 things to hook up (P2, Box, DVD).

Has anyone used this contraption?  If so, how does it work?

bubba966

Pelicans Game Switcher
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2003, 03:03 am »
I use a Sony S-Vid switcher & a couple of regular Sony switchers for my gaming systems.

Though my 'box & 'cube are run straight into my receiver with Component Video on both.

I'd be very leary of Pelican products. I've known them to make nothing but pure crap. In fact, I've known people who've had Pelican controllers fry the controller ports of PSX's. They thought they saved $ by buying a cheap ass Pelican controller instead of the Sony. But when the Pelican toasted their deck & they had to buy a new one it wasn't really cheaper.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Pelicans Game Switcher
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2003, 04:14 am »
Does your receiver have 3 component inputs?  Or maybe you hook your LD & DVD directly to the monitor?

The projector in my HT has only one Component input, so until I can go with DVI for the DVD I'll have to settle for 2 component inputs my receiver and let the games fight over one! :lol:

bubba966

Pelicans Game Switcher
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2003, 12:17 am »
My receiver only has 2 component inputs. It's too old to have 3... :(

So I run the DVDP into one component input, and the 'cube & 'box are both run into the second one. Am using high quality Y adapters to run both game decks into one input. It darkened the picture just a teeny bit, but that's all that I could tell.

As the 'cube I've got doesn't have digital out I use analog on that, and optical on the 'box.

And LD doesn't have component out, S or composite only...

TheeeChosenOne

Pelicans Game Switcher
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2003, 05:28 pm »
My experience with the Pelican products is quite the opposite.  I use the Pelican wireless controller for the GC and Xbox.  Both have been bullet proof and responsive.  Magazine reviews have also confirmed their quality.  :)

Though, I am aware that older gen products are not as well built.  Maybe the company got its act together finally.

bubba966

Pelicans Game Switcher
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2003, 07:50 pm »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
I use the Pelican wireless controller for the GC.

Why would you not use a Wavebird?

TheeeChosenOne

Pelicans Game Switcher
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2003, 09:35 pm »
Well, at the time of purchase, the Pelican had rumble control which the Wavebird didn't.  Plus, it was highly rated and competitively priced.  :)