Bryston Design: What we Do and Do Not like

gbaby

Re: Bryston Design: What we Do and Do Not like
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2020, 01:46 pm »
I guess a little attempt at some humor fell flat. Sorry about that.

I'm sorry too, as I thought you were serious. My apology.  :oops: :duh:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2020, 03:17 pm »
Like the utilitarian design of the electronics and 20 year warrantee.

Don't like the entire digital offerings (too expensive and out of date).  Ironic that the tagline is "Music for a Generation".  Just wonder what generation they had in mind. 

Don't like the entire series of speakers (all MTM designs and all actives).  External crossover/amps are cumbersome, bulky, and expensive.  Larger actives are unnecessary (better to have a "swarm" of subs with the Mini T active). 

GrooveControl

« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2020, 08:48 pm »
Speaking of speakers, I don't understand the dual tweeter approach.  Are the wavelengths at those frequencies not short enough that two tweeters can produce phasing problems.  I've seen multiple tweeter designs in PA systems, but they usually are dispersed.  I don't mind MTM, or multi woofer designs, but I think multi tweets might be a no no. 

Mag

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2020, 08:59 pm »
Speaking of speakers, I don't understand the dual tweeter approach.  Are the wavelengths at those frequencies not short enough that two tweeters can produce phasing problems.  I've seen multiple tweeter designs in PA systems, but they usually are dispersed.  I don't mind MTM, or multi woofer designs, but I think multi tweets might be a no no.

IMO multiple drivers would be better at handling heat that's generated playing higher resolution music. One of my speaker's bass driver seized up for just that reason. :smoke:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2020, 09:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

I can post the lengthy design parameters (philosophy) behind the Bryston speakers but in essence they are based on all the research that has been done over the last 20 years or so on how real speakers radiate energy into real rooms and how the ear/brain interprets that particular radiation pattern.

All the research done by Floyd Toole at the NRC and Harmon and a few European companies point to the fact that when you listen to a speaker in a room your are listening to the Total Radiated Power Response not the near-field response and the advantage of multiple drivers is it allows for huge dynamic capabilities that can produce real world dynamics.  A single tweeter especially has very limited dynamic capability and dynamic compression sets in very early.

james

PS - we also make single mid/tweeter/woofer versions of our speakers for those who do not feel they need or require the advantages that multiple driver loudspeakers provide.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2020, 10:13 pm »
Like the utilitarian design of the electronics and 20 year warrantee.

Don't like the entire digital offerings (too expensive and out of date).  Ironic that the tagline is "Music for a Generation".  Just wonder what generation they had in mind. 

Don't like the entire series of speakers (all MTM designs and all actives).  External crossover/amps are cumbersome, bulky, and expensive.  Larger actives are unnecessary (better to have a "swarm" of subs with the Mini T active).
All speakers aren’t active, and all aren’t multi tweeter. Only a few speakers in the line are optionally active. Even the flagship Model T is available as passive or active.

As far as “Music for a generation” goes, that was the slogan before they got into digital and speakers. Non digital gear - preamps, amps, and speakers all have the 20 year warranty. Not sure about turntables.

Like you, I like to keep it simple too. I run an integrated amp (Bryston B60), Rega DAC, Bluesound Node 2, and bookshelf speakers. I’ve contemplated getting something like your NAD unit with amplification and digital in one box, but I can’t bring myself to do it. Source formats come and go, wifi stuff changes; I don’t want a box that’ll have obsolete parts in a few years time. My DAC and Node will become obsolete, my B60 will die way before it’s obsolete. I was looking into a Naim Uniti a while back. I really liked it and was tempted to buy it. But all I could picture was my father’s old receiver with 8-track built in. Amplification still worked, but the 8-track section just sat there looking stupid.

GrooveControl

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2020, 10:54 pm »
I’ve contemplated getting something like your NAD unit with amplification and digital in one box, but I can’t bring myself to do it. Source formats come and go, wifi stuff changes; I don’t want a box that’ll have obsolete parts in a few years time. My DAC and Node will become obsolete, my B60 will die way before it’s obsolete.

I feel the same about my B60. It's so flexible it's hard to outgrow. The only reason I can think of for selling that piece is if in need of more power. Which at my age ain't gonna happen. I can't bring myself to invest in anything digital either. You know how many routers I have?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2020, 07:12 pm »
I feel the same about my B60. It's so flexible it's hard to outgrow. The only reason I can think of for selling that piece is if in need of more power. Which at my age ain't gonna happen. I can't bring myself to invest in anything digital either. You know how many routers I have?
I’ve thought about adding a power amp and using it as a preamp, but then there goes its simplicity and stealthiness. One reviewer called it “stealth hifi.” Spot on IMO. It’s very unassuming. Some complained about its looks, saying it’s too plain and utilitarian looking. I think it looks about perfect as it gets. I love McIntosh looks too though. Yes, I’m complicated :)

GrooveControl

« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2020, 09:09 pm »
James, in case you have a design contest for your next front panel, consider me entered  :lol:.

Cheers. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2020, 09:13 pm »
OK - will do!

james

gbaby

« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2020, 11:25 pm »
James, in case you have a design contest for your next front panel, consider me entered  :lol:.

Cheers. 

Looks circa 1974. :o

Stu Pitt

« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2020, 01:44 pm »

Cheers. 

Move the Bryston logo either more towards the corner or in the center :)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2020, 02:14 pm »

Cheers. 

:thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2020, 03:02 pm »
I like the handles on amps. The ones without just look wrong.

GrooveControl

« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2020, 05:18 pm »
I like the handles on amps. The ones without just look wrong.

The silver ones are 17".  No handles for dress panels when less than 19" or less than 3 rack spaces. 

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2020, 05:24 pm »
Seriously, handles are useful on a heavy amp if you're  senior citizen.
IMO, they should be an option - - even on a 17"

Pundamilia

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jun 2020, 04:01 pm »
When I upgraded from a 3BST to a 4B3, my dealer ordered it without the handles. No big deal, except when I go to move it, I miss the big honking handles.

masi61

« Reply #37 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:55 pm »
I would like to see the engraved faceplate logos be less stealth. I would love it if someone would come up with a way to fill in the recessed engraved “BRYSTON” script with something like a translucent blue porcelin paint. I was tempted to try it myself with all of my black Bryston components to bling them out just a wee bit.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #38 on: 2 Jun 2020, 03:08 pm »
KISS Keep It Simple but not simpler.  The best power supply one can offer. Maybe an outboard PS. That is about it. So very well done to begin with not much to improve.

charles

R. Daneel

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jun 2020, 12:29 pm »
Hello!

These are the things I don't like about some Bryston products:
1. all of their digital products like BDP and BDA - the front panel buttons feel too cheap for a premium class product-line. The buttons don't provide a sense of 'security' when pressed, leaving the user in doubt whether they've actually pressed the button or not. The tactile feel of the controls is very poor IMO and certainly not indicative of the price. This is my biggest complaint.
2. BDP, BDA and BCD - some form of remote control should be included. A neatly laid-out plastic handset made overseas would add next to nothing to manufacturing costs and would be useful to the end user. From then on, the user can upgrade to the fully-metal handset as a luxury option. Remember that 'premium' also means greater convenience for a demanding audiophile, certainly in Europe and Russia which are still important markets for Bryston I believe. Do not kid yourselves, this is a huge disadvantage. Bryston is not a household name and as such, you cannot expect that a customer will want to have a HIFI set consisting solely from Bryston components so that one universal handset can be used to control it all and therefore, needn't be included with each component.
3. integrated amplifiers - no MC phono option. I realize that Bryston tries not to do a half-job with their products and that they cannot make a low-cost phono pre as a consequence of that but if you are going to offer an integrated amplifier at all, then the whole point of 'integration' is not to have a need for external components, even if it initially costs more. While I won't argue there are some fine MM cartridges out there, I would argue that there are even finer MC ones and a natural aspiration of an audiophile would be to at least have an option to use one, if they're going to spend 6 or 7 thousand € on an integrated amplifier.

Finally, I'd like to address those buttons again. Think of it like this - the first thing a user will do is touch them. In the eye of the beholder, it is the same as buying the finest eau de toilette in a tin cannister. You know it's fine underneath but giving it to someone special would raise many eyebrows. The French know their stuff and the audio industry should learn from the fashion industry. These buttons really don't do anything to promote the quality underneath.

Please take this as a constructive critique.

Cheers,
Antun