Magnestands?

Davey

Re: Magnestands?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm »
Multiple amps are the only way to maximize performance of any speaker system....not just Maggies.  Eventually, any listener needs to push out of the entrenched audiophile paradigms and move forward with technology.

Money and worry are aspects that are reduced with a system like this....not increased.  That may seem counter-intuitive, but it's the truth.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2011, 11:34 pm »
well do you have links, some good reading?

That PlanarAsylum forum is a horrible place, very old looking forum and very confusing to use. Not sure what the "MUG" forum is.

I'm brand new to planars.

I'd like to see stuff on your build, if you have it.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:12 am »
Once you factor in Peter's upgrade cost you're into new 1.7 territory.
Has anyone here compared a set of the Magnestand (or Gunned, if you prefer) MMGs with a set of 1.7s?

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:48 am »
apparently they destroy them.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm »
So I understand but you know Missouri's motto.
If anyone in the greater Baltimore/York, PA area wishes to bring a set by for a comparison test I'd be more than happy to accomodate.
I am always willing to learn something new.
It's too hot for tubes so back to beating on my motorcycles.

Berndt

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2011, 01:49 pm »
It will eventually come to pass that this comparison takes place. One of my best audio friends has 1.7s in mye stands, and I am going to get magnestand 1.6s.
I trust both designs will sound different, better or worse will be based upon the beholder.
I've worked with John before and I trust his ears and his work.
My favorite part of this hobby is when I make friends with those I work with on my audio quest. John became a friend. I am grateful to know him.

Davey

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2011, 02:27 pm »
When I mentioned the "MUG" I was referring to the Planar Asylum.  Same place, sorry for the confusion.
Yes, the forum software is dated, but I was referring to the content....mainly.  :)

Anyways, the query of your thread was regarding Magnestand's so I don't want to steer it off course (further) with descriptions of my efforts.  Sorry about that Steve.

Cheers,

Dave.

globalkiwi

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2011, 04:14 pm »
If the old-style format of the Planar forum isn't to your taste, select "eThreads" from the view menu at the top of the page - the result is a look very like that of this forum.

Some of the debates there can get a little petty but there are many folks with a lot of expertise who are very willing to help - plus there is a wealth of info. in the archives if you care to look. 

All that said, it's great to see this site thriving!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:13 pm »
Berndt,
You owe us a review. 
Dave,
You should tell us about that sub.

Bear

« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:18 pm »
Magnestands any flavor, ie) mmg, 1.6 or 3.6 or just go with used 20.1's stock?  All thoughts, suggestions, experiences welcome.

globalkiwi

« Reply #30 on: 1 Aug 2011, 04:14 pm »
I think the answer to that question depends more on the space you're putting them into - the 20.1s would likely overwhelm a room that is suited for the MMGs.

I think the most commonly "Gunned" Maggies are the MMG's but I know many people have sent 1.6s, & fewer the 3 series to Magnestand.  John/PG claims they all benefit from the Magnestand treatment - though I think he would admit the improvement is most noticeable with the MMGs.

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 2 Aug 2011, 09:42 am »
 I am totally thrilled to be on the que for this fall and cannot wait to go through this whole experience of hearing MMG's for the first time and then getting them turned into equal parts ear/eye candy for a most incredibly reasonable sum.

I'm willing to take the risk, having not heard them. I have dynamic speakers to fall back on but I have a strong hunch I will be more than satisfied.

And as far as running active, and going all DIY on the MMG's, I would only run active if I had a large sum of money to spend on a good high quality active crossover, nothing Behringer or the like, and I would want some training on how to use it properly, not just read some webpages and there you go, and I would want high quality amplification all around. That is currently not on the menu. Maybe in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy a very high quality passive crossover and a beautiful build and apparently be listening to some world beaters.

My plan is to get these and then add a GR-Research OB servo sub, and then add another if needed.

However, sure, I'm interested in seeing Davey's diy approach, but if he could post it in a seperate thread, and if he could somehow back up his claims of performing "well beyond" a Magnestand mod, then I think many people would find that interesting. But clearly those claims can only be met by comparing directly to a Gunn'd Maggie.

I think as far as aesthetics his mod might lack something compared to the Magnestand, even  though they do look quite nice, but they are not quite the same level as Gunn'd, at leas the same as that pic, and I'd love to see how much he spent on the entire mod, total. No cheating.

:)

andyr

« Reply #32 on: 2 Aug 2011, 10:04 am »

I am totally thrilled to be on the queue for this fall and cannot wait to go through this whole experience of hearing MMGs for the first time and then getting them turned into equal parts ear/eye candy for a most incredibly reasonable sum.

I'm willing to take the risk, having not heard them. I have dynamic speakers to fall back on but I have a strong hunch I will be more than satisfied.

I suggest while you may not be that thrilled with the MMGs, stock (compared to your "conventional" monkey coffins  :D ), you will be thrilled when they come back from PG.  :)

And as far as running active, and going all DIY on the MMGs, I would only run active if I had a large sum of money to spend on a good high quality active crossover, nothing Behringer, and I would want some training on how to use it properly, not just read some webpages and there you go, and I would want high quality amplification all around. That is currently not on the menu. Maybe in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy a very high quality passive crossover and a beautiful build and apparently be listening to some world beaters.

You're correct about active.   :)  But IMO, PG's passive series XO - and, of course, his beautiful hardwood frames - will make them sound much better than stock ... but only if you have an amp that can drive them well.  :)

What amp do you have?

My plan is to get these and then add a GR-Research OB servo sub, and then add another if needed.

Hold off before you buy those subs!  :)  If you're an organ afficionado or you like dub/electronica then, yes ... but otherwise, you may find you get more bang for your buck by upgrading other things.

Good luck!  :)

Andy

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 2 Aug 2011, 10:26 am »
well currently I have a Virtue Two.2 being modified with Clarity Caps at Virtue. I hope to have it back in a week and a half.

So about 90 watts at 4ohms.

Virtue has a new Three coming out which looks interesting, and also ClassD has the new SDS-470 fully built with an audiocircle discount for $560. 500 watts @ 4ohms. 600 watts @ 2ohms stable. So Magnepan kinda power.

But I'm hoping my modded Virtue Two.2 is enough. It is a fantastic sounding amp and I just love it.

andyr

« Reply #34 on: 2 Aug 2011, 10:32 am »

well currently I have a Virtue Two.2 being modified with Clarity Caps at Virtue. I hope to have it back in a week and a half.

So about 90 watts at 4ohms.

Mmmm, only 90w into 4ohms.  I suspect this won't be enough to make them really sing ... but you need to listen.  And ask PG what he thinks - his customers use a wide variety of amps.  If you like valves, I would say a 150w VTL would certainly fit the bill ... but 90w???  :?

Good luck,

Andy

Chris Adams

« Reply #35 on: 2 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm »
I don't have Gunned Maggies yet, but I did incorporate John's crossover on my MMGs. John claims with his crossover that MMGs have an impedance of about 5 ohms and sensitivity of about 92db. My room is 12.5 x 13.5 with 8' ceiling. The speakers are much more efficient than stock and I am using a 2 x 100 watts into 4 ohm tripath amp that plays them loud:thumb: I also have a VTL ST-85 that puts out about 70 watts into 4 ohms and plays very loud.

Davey

« Reply #36 on: 2 Aug 2011, 02:03 pm »
Rclark,

:)

I'm sure you'll be happy with Magnestand's.  Magnepan's are good speakers no matter what you do to them.

Cheers,

Dave.

Rclark

« Reply #37 on: 3 Aug 2011, 08:47 am »
Thanks Davey.  :D

For me personally, I just have to have the Magnestand. His work just looks awesome. And please do post a thread of your mods, I'm sure people would find it fascinating. I know I would.

And to Andyr, you know, I told PG which amp I had and he didn't say anything one way or another. I do know that people are running Maggies with the Virtue amp and they claim it sounds really great. The Virtue amps are not super high power but they're very "torquey" and have a lot of grunt.

Apparently they thrive on 4ohm loads and sound best under that strain. People use Virtue amps to drive very large speakers. I'm currently running 8ohm monitors and only getting 55watts out of them but it is more than enough power to drive me out of the room at max volume.

I do imagine I will add another amp and it will either be the higher power Virtue Three coming soon, or I will possibly give the ClassD SDS-470 amp a try. 500 watts @ 4ohms outta get me all the way.

I do know that PG's mod increases the efficiency to 92dB so I'm fairly certain that post-mod my Virtue Two will be powerful enough. But we shall see.

Again, I'm new to planars, this is new territory for me. But I'm committed to trying this out.

andyr

« Reply #38 on: 3 Aug 2011, 09:04 am »

And to Andyr, you know, I told PG which amp I had and he didn't say anything one way or another. I do know that people are running Maggies with the Virtue amp and they claim it sounds really great. The Virtue amps are not super high power but they're very "torquey" and have a lot of grunt.

Apparently they thrive on 4ohm loads and sound best under that strain. People use Virtue amps to drive very large speakers. I'm currently running 8ohm monitors and only getting 55watts out of them but it is more than enough power to drive me out of the room at max volume.

That's good to hear, Rclark.  Good luck!  :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

sfox50

« Reply #39 on: 3 Aug 2011, 01:00 pm »
I've had Magnestand MMG's for three years now & I hope I never have to part with them! They replaced SMGa's that had upgraded crossovers. I've never tried the active  route, only full range. I usually run a GB150D kit built amp with great results. I have an old BGW 500D pro amp that really delivers the bass, I'll use it in the winter when the heatsinks help heat my basement listening room.
There's a picture of my maggies in the "we want to see" thread. Best of luck!