Magnepan 3.7 or Martin Logan Theos

miatadan

• Industry Participant
Magnepan 3.7 or Martin Logan Theos
« on: 20 May 2011, 03:12 am »
I trying to decide between these 2 speakers.... :duh:

The shop/dealer I work for sells Martin Logan but I have access to Magnepan though sales rep of different product.

I worked in audio industry since 1983 and have the honour to meet James Tanner in person at Toronto audio shows, long time ago now :D

I have owned Acoustat Spectra 22s, Martin Logan SL3, Martin Logan Aeons and Magnepan MG1.6. In dynamic speakers JM Focal Labs Chorus 726, Dali Icon 2.

My most favorite speakers were the Acoustat Spectra 22s - was able to do popular music + rock without a subwoofer :green:

Should have brought Martin Logan CLS when I had the chance :duh:

What would be close to the Acoustats now? Magnepan MG3.7 or Martin Logan Theos?

I am using a Bryston BDP-1 as a source, Bel Canto Dac 1.5. Using a McIntosh MC302 power amp ( should be good to drive either speaker )

What is better choice? as not able to hear these in person?

Dan

Zero

Re: Magnepan 3.7 or Martin Logan Theos
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 03:53 am »
Not to be a kill joy, but I'm not sure anyone can tell you.  The 3.7's are pretty new, and word on the grapevine is that it takes MONTHS for those speakers to settle-in. 

JP78

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2011, 05:04 am »
You may also want to ask this question in a Martin Logan forum to get an equivalent (weighted?) response.

Best,

rw@cn

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2011, 12:23 pm »
Having owned ML's for years, a few early Maggies and now 1.7's, I feel that if the price is about the same, go with Maggies. When I purchased my 1.7's, I felt that the only ML that was significantly better was the Summit X. The Spires had some advantages but not enough to justify the cost differential. Given the cost of the 1.7's, it was a no brainer (IMO).

Of course, you may like the way the Theos looks. Also, it is quite a bit smaller.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 01:37 pm »
For me, it would be a no brainer for one simple reason. The Maggie is all panel. The ML is a hybrid.  Part of the allure of a panel (to me) is 'panel bass'. 

Bryan

P.S.  I still run Acoustats.