Really Cassettes?

Mr Peabody

Really Cassettes?
« on: 12 Apr 2024, 03:31 pm »
LP's made a comeback to some extent, the fact that LP's are where they are today from where they ended up after the CD, I'd say comeback.  Now I see cassettes could be making a comeback.  I'd have to ask why.  A couple decades ago when I first began to get into what I'd call high end I sold my deck and all my cassettes simply because they didn't even come close to sounding as good as my Krell CDP.

With all that said I found myself in Record Exchange buying used cassettes the other day.  My grandson is into vintage cars, mainly Mazda.  He wants to keep his RX7 stock which has a cassette deck.  Plus I bought an older Lexus that has a cassette deck along with a 6 disk changer but I thought a couple cassettes might not hurt when I tire of the CD's and maybe not able to change them out.

While there I bought him a used dual cassette deck.  He will be 19 on his birthday, it's so funny him playing with cassettes.  I did manage to find a couple blank tapes around the house that managed to hide all these years, LOL  I should have looked at it closer I assumed it had a button for recording on high bias tape but it didn't.  The deck must have been out of an old rack system or something.  My grandson will get $50.00 fun out of it though.  He has a HEOS streamer I told him to try recording out of that into the deck.  I'll have to see if he tried that.  I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work.

mr_bill

Re: Really Cassettes?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2024, 03:35 pm »
It's real and CD will make a big comeback too eventually.
I don't know if you can readily buy the higher quality blank tapes without going broke now.  They were so prevalent back in the day to get the quality blanks for recording. 
I still have my NAD Monitor series cassette deck in storage.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2024, 12:03 pm »
Worked at a college radio station and thought I'd record all those albums on cassettes.  Didn't work out as the station manager listened to all of them first on a really cheap turntable (that ground the vinyl) before sending them to the station that used really heavy duty grinders.  Anyway I'd bought a Nakamichi 700, at that time about the very best machine available.  It allowed for biasing for every tape before recording. 

Found out that for cassettes it all about the tape used (Nakamichi tapes were the best) and biasing which varied by the individual machine.  So you could never successfully swap between machines in terms of sound quality.  With the advent of digital in the early 80's and literally dropping my turntable I transitioned to CD's and digital ready amps/speakers and never looked back.  Now everything is wireless, active, and streaming.

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2024, 01:41 pm »
As much as I love and in fact still use cassettes on my daily commute to and from work, cassettes are not going to make a comeback.
A few good reasons, no good decks are being made anymore. You can’t get good quality blank cassettes, if you want anything half decent you must look for new old stock. We have all seen the prices.
The older good decks that can be picked up, are crazy prices and parts / good technicians are thin on the ground.

What major company is going to invest in getting a good new deck built, and if they did it will have to be at a high price. Companies are in business to make money, not losing money and that is what I see if they invest in making a half decent deck.
Not many people will be willing to pay say £1000+ for a half decent deck, when they can pick up other sources which will be as good or better for a fraction of the price.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2024, 07:11 pm »
I used to use cassettes for my favorite songs. Drag and drop onto a digital device then simply plug in is SO much better and easier. Cassettes are just retro and nostalgia.
If you're into that, go for it.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2024, 07:17 pm »
I still have my cassettes but haven't played them in years.  Most were made from music I owned to use in the vehicle many moons ago.  When I moved (the move prior to my current location) in 1997, I gave away my Nakamichi 680 (needed a tune up and hadn't been used in some time) and just kept an old Onkyo dual cassette deck and dBX 224 (and neither is currently hooked up).

When vehicle CD changers were the thing in music playback in vehicles, I made a bunch of CDs and basically have not used my cassettes in years.  I keep thinking perhaps one day I'd digitize them just for kicks but with all the music files I have, I never get to it.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2024, 07:19 pm »
When these were the thing to own, I used it.  Now it is in a bin in the garage.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2024, 08:43 pm »
Cassetess and recording music on them, used to give me fucking nightmares, back in the day!Come to think of it, for sure I'll have nightmares tonight, lol.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2024, 09:28 pm »
Road trips and cassettes went together. I must have had a 100 recorded in real time from albums. Big trips too: Chicago to Toronto back when you didn't need a passport, Border Patrol just asked if you were an US citizen. Chicago to Denver and Denver to Tulsa, all the while listening to cassettes.

All the cassettes lived in my woodshop until I had enough CD's to replace them. When I sold my NAD cassette player I gave the buyer all my cassettes for free.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2024, 09:55 pm »
Mix tape!  I had boxes and boxes of cassettes from my Pioneer CT-A7 3 head deck.  A real beast of a deck was how my audio repairman classified it when I had a major refreshing done.  Gave away the cassettes and sold the deck in 2013 when I cleared out a lot of old equipment.  Wish I'd kept most of it now.  Cassettes were such a pain though.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2024, 10:39 pm »
Cassettes are only a pain in the backside if you did not keep your equipment maintained and cleaned.

duff138

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2024, 10:54 pm »
Enjoying a tape right now!  Fiio walkman for under $100.  Grabbed my tapes (200+) from my parents house.

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2024, 02:24 am »
The resurgence/nostalgia has been running and steadily growing since about 2016.  It's frustrating, because while records are at least potentially capable of decent sound, prerecorded cassettes, in all but the most esoteric instances, are not.  If you make your own tapes, in your own calibrated Nakamichi three head machine with adjustable bias and preferably azimuth (or something equally nice from Tandberg, Studer, Teac Z series, Sony, or Akai)...you might be able to come close to decent sound.  You also have to use chrome or metal tape.

I've got a Nakamichi Dragon (and five other nice decks), but the Dragon and RX-505 serve as high performance party tricks.  I can't imagine a world where I record another cassette, except at the behest of someone else.

Factory prerecorded tapes were 2nd only to 8 track as the worst widely-accepted consumer media format of the late 20th century.

GentleBender

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2024, 06:06 pm »