VR33 integrated amp

Gopher

Re: VR33 integrated amp
« Reply #20 on: 1 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm »
It keeps its composure for as loud as I go in my condo.  I will say I feel its better turned up.

I'd do the Cronus Magnum over Tempest 3.  Rouge admittedly refers to the Tempest as their most SS sounding amplifier.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but not how I would describe Cro Mag. 
Keep in mind Cronus has tube preamp section vs Tempest which has 10db solid state gain.

BigSwede

« Reply #21 on: 2 Apr 2012, 01:48 pm »
I have a Bel Canto eVo2i Gen II that I love, pairing it with the VR-33s has done nothing to change that opinion. Reviews at the time were right about this amp, so I'm not going to repeat them here.

Regarding volume, one of the things I really like is that it sounds good at lower volumes. Previous amps often needed to be loud to really open up the sound. And at 120 wpc it doesn't lack the ability to play loud either.

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2012, 02:26 am »
I'm running the Redgum RGi120 ENR with my VR-33s right now and its niiice.   I won't compare it to anything until I get a better handle on it, but these speakers do seem to like the extra power.

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2012, 02:29 am »
Good to see you reunited with Redgum Fred.

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2012, 02:39 am »
Selling my RGi120 was my deepest regret in this hobby.  When I saw an RGi120ENR at a good price, I had to do it.    Next time your out East, you'll have to drop in and see why I make a big deal out of these Aussies. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2012, 02:58 am »
What is the difference for the ENR?

Gopher

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2012, 03:21 am »
Other than about $1000 in msrp:

DESCRIPTION

The RGi120ENR is the ultimate REDGUM integrated amplifier for those people who demand the best. Based on our Award-winning RGi120 but taking the output power to 155WRMS/ch, the actual 'slam' available is higher than "the original" RGM175!!!

Including these 'go-fast' modifications :

Bigger 300Va Transformer
Bigger power supply Capacitors
Dual power wiring
Dual earthing
Dual internal speaker wiring
Large gold speaker binding posts
and much more.......
Get this one and you will never need a bigger integrated amplifier.

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2012, 05:48 am »
Hi Fred,

I've never heard Redgum gear. My Ambience Band Pass subs however have their amps supplied by Redgum and I can say these subs are real humdingers. After what you wrote, I'd really like to hear a set.

cheers!

sunnydaze

« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2012, 02:41 pm »

I have owned two Redgum integrateds and was deeply impressed.  And that's saying something for this toobluvr.   :thumb:

Would love to try their mono-amps, but pricey!

geowak

« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2012, 09:14 pm »
Check out this integrated amp I bought recently. It is a really great find at a tremendous price.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104440.0

Gopher

« Reply #30 on: 15 May 2012, 02:44 am »
I'm running the Redgum RGi120 ENR with my VR-33s right now and its niiice.   I won't compare it to anything until I get a better handle on it, but these speakers do seem to like the extra power.

To follow this up, over time I've found myself preferring my Melody to the Redgum with these speakers.  The Redgum is a great integrated and drives these speakers well, but I think the Vons need some toobage. 

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2012, 03:33 am »
+1 on the JD 1000RC, for that warm tubey sound. 

Or if you want something with a little more space and a little more accurate soundstage I really like the Arte Forma, I-6550 if you can find one.  the I-6550 has one of the quitest noise floors I have heard from a tube amp.  The JD 1000RD has nominally more power, but I am sure in reality there probably isn't anything to it.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2012, 03:13 pm »
Hey guys, I heard this Rogers integrated at the 2011 RMAF driving a pair of Totem floor standers and thought it was one of the top 5 sounds at the show.  It's not cheap at $6000 but is a full 100 wpc and the sound is marvelous.  Google it and read what few reviews and comments are out there.  Definitely audiophile grade stuff.

http://rogershighfidelity.com/

BLaszlo

« Reply #33 on: 16 Nov 2012, 10:13 am »
Hi!

Anyone tried ARC DSI200 for these speakers? I am thinking of buying one for these speakers. Any opinion is appretiated.

Thanks.