Best CD's of Handel's Messiah??

smilach

Best CD's of Handel's Messiah??
« on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:15 am »
I have a two-CD, 1984 recording of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the Chicago Symphony Chorus performing the Christmas and Easter portions of Handel's Messiah in Orchestra Hall.  It is a Decca Record Company recording distributed by London (maybe London 414 396-2?).  I have a young dog that recently got a hold of and crunched the CD's so now I need to replace them.

I'm looking for excellent performances and recordings of these works on CD, but not in a digital download.  I'm guessing there have been "better" recordings of the Messiah since 1984 in either smaller scale or large productions.  Is anyone out there familiar with this Decca/London recording or familiar with other performances/recordings that they would recommend as being even better?

Randy

Re: Best CD's of Handel's Messiah??
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2014, 06:25 pm »
I don't know the recording your dog ate, but I really like this recent version among the four or five I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Handel-Messiah-George-Frideric/dp/B000GUJYKQ/ref=sr_1_30?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1415989379&sr=1-30&keywords=handel+messiah