Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

Philistine

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #60 on: 18 Apr 2009, 06:49 pm »
The concept of the Oppo for TP owners, and Sony for non computer audiophiles, allows both camps to access the product they need :thumb:  Having a library of SACD/DVD-A media, and a combined music/HT system, the Oppo is a great machine for me to run alongside the TP.

Disbeliever - I used to own a Sony 999ES, along with a Sony CDP/SACD - forget the full name but it was the Stereophile rated one, and had difficulty understanding the concept of buying a modded 999ES from Dan.  My difficulty was that the 999ES was appaling as a CDP so how could it become a great CD source?  The Sony's make great platforms but, after Dan modded them my concerns were completely unjustified, they will sound completeley different - as good as the standard 5400 may be the Modwright version will be far superior. 

tomm

« Reply #61 on: 18 Apr 2009, 07:03 pm »
Someone here mentioned that the 5500 will be out in October, wonder what new features will be added over the 5400.

Disbeliever

« Reply #62 on: 20 Apr 2009, 05:21 pm »
Regret I may have misinformed everybody over a potential 5500 . This was told to me by a Sony dealer but I can get no further info so it may be just a rumour

modwright

« Reply #63 on: 21 Apr 2009, 06:30 pm »
Design of circuit for Oppo mod is complete.

I have a customer waiting to order a 5400ES and send it to us for mod development.  I believe I will proceed with this shortly.

How much interest is there for a potential tube mod for the Oppo as another option to the SS OP stage?  The SS OP stage mod for the Oppo will be in the $995 range.  A tube mod for the Oppo, similar if not identical to that which will be done for the Sony 5400ES would be $1995.

Again, just trying to gauge interest and allow for options without stretching ourselves too thin.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

edmiston

« Reply #64 on: 21 Apr 2009, 07:47 pm »
Hi Dan,

I spoke with you on the phone recently re: modding SACD players and that is when you told me of the upcoming OPPO mod.  As far as the interest in a tube output stage, I would have to say that it depends on the success of the SS output.  In other words, tubes can be the means to an end, rather than the end itself.  If stupendous sound can be obtained with a class A SS output, why bother with tubes?

Mark

modwright

« Reply #65 on: 21 Apr 2009, 08:13 pm »
Agreed!  This is easily evidenced by the input stage design of our pure SS amp, that has already garnered much praise from people who feel that it possesses the strengths of both SS and tube designs.  I won't know how the SS OP statge sounds in the Oppo until we get it installed, but you are absolutely right!

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Disbeliever

« Reply #66 on: 23 Apr 2009, 08:09 pm »
It is about time  audiophiles remember that tubes/valves are just antiques

modwright

« Reply #67 on: 23 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
I wouldn't go THAT far!  Tube have a distinct and desirable sonic character.  There are things that tubes can do, tonally and musically, that SS cannot.  At the same time, SS components offer strengths that tubes cannot match, provided that the design is solid.

I personally would not make such an absolute statement.  I like the use of both tubes and SS components and our tube designs use SS components also.

I respect your opinion.

Thanks,

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #68 on: 23 Apr 2009, 09:24 pm »
Disbeliever,
That's quite a statement in a tube euqipment manufacturer's own circle, one who has made his name in tube modifications and tubed gear.  His tube mods to digital gear like the Logitech Transporter are earning awards and great reviews everywhere.  If you are going to make such a broad simple statement, you might want to back it up with some additional points; otherwise it looks rude and like a troll.  I assume it isn't but with little feedback (8 total posts, mostly in this thread) we don't know you, your style, your sense of humor, etc.

Disbeliever

« Reply #69 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:30 pm »
I am a retired Hi-Fi manufacturer, I am not going to say which one. Furthermore I have said for many years that the only High in most of the High End is the price. I probably have more and longer experience of Hi-Fi than anyone else on this forum. I have met most of all the early Hi-Fi Pioneers  & designers just a few names Gilbert Briggs,( Wharfedale) Peter Walker (Quad) , Both demonstrated Live v Recorded sound in Carnegie Hall Dave Hafler  etc. etc. far too many to quote here ,obviously most of the British ones and quite a few American as well. Unfortunately the great reviewers of the past have all  long gone Percy Wilson Gramophone, Gordon J. King etc. There is no reviewer today that I know of that I would  trust I have to audition every thing myself. Unfortunately this does not seem to be possible with Sony which is why I fell in with the XA900ES player that got rave reviews in both Hi-Fi   News  & Stereophile but no retailer in the UK would demonstrate it. I bought one in Tottenham Court Rd London with a big discount and sold it off after 4 months . It did not compare in anyway soundwise with my 20 year old modified Marantz  CD94  I have to admit that I have never auditioned a Modwright product but I do know all about valves/tubes  Good luck to those who like the tube sound.

whubbard

« Reply #70 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:44 pm »
Disbeliver/Gerald,
I'm not sure why, but it seems you have just been going around bashing Sony products.
If you don't want anybody to know who you are, hide you email address next time...as a simple google search showed that you have been making a lot of posts about sony gear.

Even back to 1987 it seems you despised reviewers, especially stereophile:

I take strong exception to JGH's remarks that he was the first to invent subjective testing. What he meant to say must have been that he was probably the first to publish an underground magazine using subjective testing to mislead the consumer based on his personal opinions. I am not saying this was intentional, it has just developed that way.

Having had 40 years' experience of hi-fi, both as hobby and as a business, I can confidently say that you, Pearson, and our own Hi-Fi Screws and Rubbish Reviews magazine are continuing to mislead the consumer. Virtually everything Stereophile prints is pure subjective garbage, personal opinion, and has no real substance in scientific principles...

I can see from Sam Tellig's review of the Quad 306 in Vol.10 No.3 that Americans---not all, of course---do not understand what is meant by an amplifier having an output that is a larger facsimile of the input. You prefer bass-heavy amplifiers, and colored ones to boot---the Adcom 545, for example. However, I agree that the Quad 606 drives the "World's Best Loudspeaker for Music Lovers in the Home"---the Quad ESL-63---slightly better than the 306.

I am surprised that JA can test any amplifier with the Celestion SL600s: they are very room-dependent, and although not box-like, are still a poor speaker. The American reviewer who gets it right is Len Feldman of Audio.

I am going to continue to expose you for what you are: a bunch of charlatans, as I say in my ads. The only "High" in high-end audio is the price. Readers, believe absolutely nothing written in any hi-fi magazine---you must listen for yourself.
---Gerald Bearman Mayware Ltd., Edgware, England
http://www.stereophile.com/features/44/index4.html

-West

p.s. Looks like you worked for Mayware, can't say I've heard of them.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #71 on: 24 Apr 2009, 06:00 pm »
Disbeliever,
I'm not saying that your experience is not worthwhile...or is.  I AM saying that it is rude to go into someone's obviously Victorian styled home and say "Victorian styling is for losers".  It's just rude; it may indeed be your feeling, so say it somewhere else rather than in their home.  This is a specific manufacturers circle, paid for by Modwright, for Modwright product issues, ideas, etc.  Constructive criticism is welcomed; trolling is not.  To add insult to injury, you haven't heard a Modwright?  And lived in Dan's shoes as a manufacturer, and yet continue to bash?  Wow.  I always thought age brought some wisdom, not just knowledge.

Disbeliever

« Reply #72 on: 25 Apr 2009, 06:42 am »
Whilst I appreciate some people like or prefer tube sound it is of no interest to me. Sony has very poor customer relations, poor service and designs products that are both difficult & expensive to service. So far they can not resolve the problem of the STR-DA5400ES receiver tripping out that I know of and the Sony Centre that gave me a refund says that they are getting no communication from them whatsoever despite the fact that they have problems with their demo model.

Disbeliever

« Reply #73 on: 25 Apr 2009, 07:49 am »
ted-B The only reason I came on this site was because I am interested in the Sony XA5400ES  player the  first to be fitted with HDMI I.3  also the first Sony product that I have come across that is both good value  compared with all the  other overpriced so -called Hi-End products and sounds very good  after a long burn in. It was  packed with the cheapest possible power cord that is such a loose fit that if you breathe on it, it falls out. I have replaced it with a heavy duty (not expensive) power cord fitted with a 13 amp fuse. Despite previously saying that the XA5400ES does not require mods, I am interested  in discovering any worthwhile mods but definately not tube ones. My existing 20 year old Marantz CD94 is very heavily modified and this does seem the only way to get the best sound from a product.

modwright

« Reply #74 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:24 am »
I understand and appreciate your personal preferences.  I also appreciate your interest in the mods that we are offering for the XA5400ES.

As for the Sony receivers, I cannot comment.  The players have, in my experience, been more reliable than other mfrs. and I have no problem with Sony service. We are able to source parts and they are always accessible.  Now I am speaking from the standpoint of someone who does our own service, not as an end user, so I can't comment there.  Again, I know nothing of the Sony receivers as this doesn't interest me personally.

RE the cheap power cord that came with the Sony, that is not surprising.  No mfr. supplies their products with Audio Grade cords.  A 13A fuse in the Sony is quite frankly dangerous and a bad idea.  I don't know what the goal here is, but a fuse is sized for a reason, to protect the component.

Dan W.

Disbeliever

« Reply #75 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:56 am »
Hi wHubbard & Dan.  Firstly I would like to thank wHubbard for posting my 1987 blast at Stereophile & Hi-Fi News . In case anyone is wondering why I said Hi-Fi Screws !  this refers to the fact that a well known writer still writing for HFN was inserting sexual innuendo's in his articles that I took exception to and should have been removed by the then Editor in my not humble opinion.

Dan , My Sony player's cheapo cord plug was  supplied with a 13 amp fuse but unlike you I do not think this is a problem  Receivers certainly require a 13 amp fuse for best performance.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #76 on: 25 Apr 2009, 12:33 pm »
I am a retired Hi-Fi manufacturer, I am not going to say which one. Furthermore I have said for many years that the only High in most of the High End is the price. I probably have more and longer experience of Hi-Fi than anyone else on this forum. I have met most of all the early Hi-Fi Pioneers  & designers just a few names Gilbert Briggs,( Wharfedale) Peter Walker (Quad) , Both demonstrated Live v Recorded sound in Carnegie Hall Dave Hafler  etc. etc. far too many to quote here ,obviously most of the British ones and quite a few American as well. Unfortunately the great reviewers of the past have all  long gone Percy Wilson Gramophone, Gordon J. King etc. There is no reviewer today that I know of that I would  trust I have to audition every thing myself. Unfortunately this does not seem to be possible with Sony which is why I fell in with the XA900ES player that got rave reviews in both Hi-Fi   News  & Stereophile but no retailer in the UK would demonstrate it. I bought one in Tottenham Court Rd London with a big discount and sold it off after 4 months . It did not compare in anyway soundwise with my 20 year old modified Marantz  CD94  I have to admit that I have never auditioned a Modwright product but I do know all about valves/tubes  Good luck to those who like the tube sound.

Disbeliever,

What has been modified in your 20 year old Marantz CD94?

Given the leaps and bounds in digital playback in just the last five years, let alone the last twenty years, I am finding it very difficult to believe that current digital playback gear can't equal or surpass your modified Marantz.

Digital gear that was widely acknowledged as being SOTA (at any price) 5-10 years ago is easily being surpassed by products retailing for way under $5k and in some cases, under $3k. 

Just trying to get a better understanding of where you are coming from.

Thanks,

George

Disbeliever

« Reply #77 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:04 pm »
Hi George, My CD94  was modified to include the best ever 16 bit DAC the Philips Double Crown S2 TD1541 (still used in the expensive Zanden players). and lead shielded, digital & analogue supplies separated and a additional toroidal transformer fitted. New Clock, black gate caps. lengthy wiring reduced, plug& sockets to circuit boards removed, hard wired silver soldered new heavy duty power cord fitted new chips and possibly more. The latest Sony XA5400ES via HDMI  is almost as good and improving all the time. I am very interested to find out  if the Modwright SS mods. will give further improvement., incidently where is Modwright based ?

G.B.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:38 pm »

Disbeliever

« Reply #79 on: 26 Apr 2009, 06:47 am »
ted_b  Thanks for the location of Modwright