Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

vgregory

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #40 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:13 am »
I can assure everyone that the Sony SCD-XA5400ES despite being PCM/DSD is far superior to the Oppo 980H for SACD surround sound and does not require any modifications. It sounds superb with the matching STR-DA5400ES receiver with H.A.T.S. on for reduced jitter with HDMI both for RB CD & SACD.
However unfortunately I found my DA5400ES receiver to have a design fault and had to return it to the Sony Centre (U.K.) for a refund. The receiver  shuts down for no apparent reason and despite many attempts to RESET it ,as described in the manual no luck. I have reported the problem to Sony and they choose to ignore me. I understand that for 2009/10 a DA5500ES is coming.

You are correct with the Sony 5400, it is a far superior unit than the Oppo 980H. Two different levels. But understand - an upgrade should not be so costly - if the upgrade was over $1,000 for the Oppo...then I would buy the Sony. I am only interested in the audio only - not so much on Blu-ray....

Disbeliever

« Reply #41 on: 30 Mar 2009, 06:49 am »
Greg,  Kal Rubinson of 'Music in the Round'  STEREOPHILE has his Oppo modified yet he still says the Oppo's treble is etched. Female vocals are far more intelligble & distinct on the Sony. The Oppo is good for its much lower price as a universal player. It will be interesting to read Kal's take on the Sony XA5400ES in April/May Stereophile.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #42 on: 1 Apr 2009, 05:21 pm »
Greg,  Kal Rubinson of 'Music in the Round'  STEREOPHILE has his Oppo modified yet he still says the Oppo's treble is etched. Female vocals are far more intelligble & distinct on the Sony. The Oppo is good for its much lower price as a universal player. It will be interesting to read Kal's take on the Sony XA5400ES in April/May Stereophile.

Kal is also in the process of reviewing the Oppo BD93 player.  Not sure of the scheduled publication date.

modwright

« Reply #43 on: 4 Apr 2009, 07:59 am »
Hi guys, I have been paying attention to this thread.  Alan Kimmel is actually working on a design for a SS output stage that borrows from our amplifiers input stage.  That is one possibility for both HT processors and Oppo mods.  We could also do a tube mod for the Oppo.

Once the SS OP design is finalized by Alan and I get a chance to listen to it and also get a chance to work on one of the new Oppo's, then I will know which way to go.

The intent with the new SS OP stage is that it can take up much less room than tubes, could be applied to MCH uses and would be less costly.

Thank you all for your feedback here!

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #44 on: 4 Apr 2009, 01:22 pm »
Great news Dan!     :drool:   Thanks

modwright

« Reply #45 on: 5 Apr 2009, 08:00 pm »
Alan is a brilliant circuit designer and if the modified version of the input circuit that we are using in the amp can be adapted the way I want it to be, this could be a very exciting thing indeed.  We could build the boards with surface mount components to keep size down....don't worry, there are both good and poor quality surface mount parts.  There will be some through-hole parts too of course, but the more compact the PCB can be made, then the better it can be adapted to different mods.  This is ESPECIALLY true in pre-processors, for their MCH analog stages, where there isn't a lot of room.

The defacto standard for most CD/DVD players and pre-processors, is to simply drop an op-amp based circuit into the output stage.  They don't all sound bad, but most mfrs. don't spring for the better parts first of all and second of all, op-amps ALL inherently use feedback, etc.  This circuit uses ZERO global feedback and I believe could REALLY make these products sound FABULOUS!

More news as this develops.

Thanks,

Dan

SteveSun

« Reply #46 on: 8 Apr 2009, 10:05 pm »
Gentlemen: are we discussing about 5400 or Oppo Bluray?!  aa

Regarding modding a CD player or transport, here is a wonderful and very interesting article:

http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/FIKUS/Fikustransport.html

Out of the box, SCD-XA5400ES sounds not bad; however, there are still lots of room for modification...

1. Master Clock: use Kingwa clock (http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/diy/JZ-1.htm) for about USD20!
2. follow the explanation in the link above, (maybe) rebuild/mod the power supplies
3. (maybe) tab the digital signals at the pin 1,2,3,4,5,6 of the DAC (BB DSD-1796), connect to Buffalo Sabre32 DAC and I/V stage thru their OTTO 2:1 switch.

Above is my plan...

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 8 Apr 2009, 11:16 pm »
Being that this is the Modwright mfg forum, and the discussion is about Dan adding to his production by modding a player, he has said that the Oppo Blu Ray (and/or an HT processor like my Onkyo Pro 885) is a real candidate, especially given Alan's possible modular designs.  He also started this thread asking about the popularity of the 5400 for his mods.  If you want to mod your own, I suggest the DIY forum.

modwright

« Reply #48 on: 10 Apr 2009, 05:49 pm »
I am moving more towards the Oppo, given the interest in Oppo vs. 5400ES.

Agreed Ted, RE mods...not really appropriate here.

I believe Alan is nearly complete with design of the circuit and I have a customer - early adopt customer for Oppo Blu-Ray that has agreed to send me his unit to develop the mod.  Stay tuned for more details!

Thanks,

Dan

bandit

« Reply #49 on: 10 Apr 2009, 06:34 pm »
Hi Dan,

Since you're in the upgrading mode  :D is there any plans in upgrading the SWP 9.0 SE?

Victor

modwright

« Reply #50 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:07 pm »
We CAN certainly upgrade the power supply in the SWP 9.0SE to the new power supply design - same circuit used in the Transporter 'Hyper Drive' upgrade and the new PS 9.0 external supply upgrade.  Cost to do this for the SWP 9.0SE would be $400 + shipping.

Thanks!

Dan

Disbeliever

« Reply #51 on: 16 Apr 2009, 09:51 am »
My experience with Oppo is that they tend to confuse potential customers because they seem unable to quote a correct specification when asked. However the Oppo 98OH is a good value universal player and despite  it can be configured to output DSD direct to Analogue without PCM conversion it does not sound as good as the much more expensive Sony SCD-XA5400ES dedicated CD/SACD player which is a PCM mode player but with low jitter. If you want the ultimate sound buy the Sony which is being reviewed by Kal Rubinson (Stereophile) in the May issue.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 16 Apr 2009, 01:04 pm »
The Oppo 980H cannot output DSD to analog (the BD player will, which Oppo calls "a distinctly unique feature", certainly for the pricepoint).  It converts DSD to PCM first for the analog outs.  It's only DSD native capability is passed via HDMI to a DSD decoder in a processor (or, of course, also the option to convert to PCM).  Regardless, good feedback to know the Sony sounds better.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2009, 08:57 pm by ted_b »

modwright

« Reply #53 on: 17 Apr 2009, 09:17 am »
I am considering a fork in the road here guys, with two options:
(AGAIN, I HUMBLY ASK FOR AND APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK)

The Oppo mod is a given and we are nearly complete with the new analog stage design.  It looks like it will be SS, 2CH and MCH, clock upgrade, upgrades to internal supplies to benefit video and audio and I will see what also can be done to improve the unit as a transport via digital outs.  Mod price point = $995 range.

I have recently learned, although I haven't read the review yet, that the Sony 5400ES has been well reviewed in Stereophile.  The other fork in the road then, would be a 2CH, high-end, tube mod for the Sony, both balanced and SE, with external new and upgraded PS 9.0SE.  Price-point for the mod would be in the $1995 range.

Obviously, the Sony 5400ES is not likely going to appeal to the Transporter owner.  There are still a number of people however, who have a number of SACD's, prefer a disk spinner, and aren't willing to go the computer route.

I see the modified Sony and modified Oppo players as different products at different price-points and with different design goals.  Cost of admission with the Oppo being in the neighborhood of $1500, including player (assuming roughly $500 retail player cost).  Cost of admission for the Sony being $3K-$3500 including player (assuming roughly $1500 retail player cost).

The Oppo is a TRUE Universal player. I have listened to what many have shared here and first of all, THANK YOU!  The Oppo can provide 2CH and MCH music playback of every format as well as video and HT, including blue ray of course, and I expect great things from it.

The Sony will provide exceptional 2CH music playback, via balanced and RCA outs, for SACD and Redbook CD's.  I expect its performance for 2CH music to be exceptional!  It will likely appeal to the dedicated 2CH music listener. Yes, I understand that it outputs DSD via the HDMI output and is capable of MCH decoding from this interface. I believe a customer that is interested in having us modify this unit however, will be interested in purist 2CH music playback. This design will be tubed, and will allow the use of different tubes, much like the Transporter, including the EML rectifier.

I am looking at a potential fork in the road here, not a 'Y'.  Both paths may be made available, given suffient interest.  I have listened and acknowlefge interest in the Oppo and it is well under way. I am primarily interested in what people think of the Sony now, as a different path and option, at a different price.

Thanks guys!

Sincerely,

Dan W.

bandit

« Reply #54 on: 17 Apr 2009, 10:49 am »
I have heard the Sony 5400 compared to the Wadia 581 at a friends house and wow - the Sony is a nice player. He indicated that "the Sony would be it’s smaller, weaker brother, but not in a bad way. The attributes between them are closer rather than farther apart". The Wadia brings it up a level or two..which is what you would expect... For the money you can't beat it.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 17 Apr 2009, 01:49 pm »
Of course you'd know that I am voting Oppo because of my Transporter and MW Denon 3910.  But I don't want to dissuade anyone from owning a wonderful tubed analog stage and tuibe rectified PS from Dan...it's about as musical as you can get!!  :thumb:

tomm

« Reply #56 on: 18 Apr 2009, 02:01 am »
I have a TP.  I would get the one that has better video & audio outputs after the mod.  If they are very close, then I would get the OPPO.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #57 on: 18 Apr 2009, 12:05 pm »
Dan
Just read about the Sony 5400es and came directly to your site to see if you were offering a mod to this player yet. This player is exactly what I'm looking for for my system, your tube output stage and the ability to output DSD via HDMI into my AVR. I currently use the Sony DVD 9000es with your Signature Truth Mods. So needless to say I very interested in getting this player especially if it will come with your tube output stage. Are you offering the modified Sony XA5400es or do you need one to be modified?   :drool:

Disbeliever

« Reply #58 on: 18 Apr 2009, 03:02 pm »
The best sound from the Sony XA5400ES comes from  using HDMI I.3 both for RB CD & SACD  so analogue interconnects are redundant for this advanced player which is the best value on the market at the present time.

modwright

« Reply #59 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:52 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  As I said, the Oppo is a given, so don't worry about that.  I believe the Sony will likely be the other option and that we are likely to pursue it also.

RE the Sony via HDMI outs, I agree that if your system consists of this player and a Sony receiver, then this is likely an ideal combination.  I will say however, that I have found that our analog stage upgrades with their dedicated power supply and upgrades to stock internal clock and digital power supplies, have elevated every past Sony that we have modified, to the point, that use of ANY outboard DAC becomes redundant, including the Sony DACs.  For MCH DSD however, of course the HDMI out would be the way to go.

I am working on designs for both, because I believe that there is interest from two camps. I understand that our Transporter fans are likely more interested in the Oppo as they are already going the computer route for their digital.  The 5400ES however, with our mods, promises to offer Reference 2CH digital playback for CD and SACD in a disc spinner.

Thanks!

Dan