Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

tino

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #180 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:00 am »
Sorry,
in my previous P.S. I was wrong. That scheme is not resembling
a Jocko-Homo in that the input is not at virtual ground,
basically because it is not using a dual power supply.
Ciao!
Tino

Disbeliever

« Reply #181 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:11 pm »
Hi   Tino how can adding distortion( tubes etc) improve the sound ? You are the only person I know of who dislikes the  highs on the 5400ES   . IMO absolutely no mods required (a total waste of time & money) if using HDMI and SACD MCH. Vince tells me that your dirty mains supply etc. probably your biggest problem

modwright

« Reply #182 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:32 pm »
Disbeliever, I really haven't decided what your purpose or agenda is here, aside from being generally disagreeable.

I have said before, you are welcome to your opinions about tubes and we all prefer different things.

Now let me make this more clear:

DO NOT POST HERE!

Dan Wright
Forum moderator
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.

Delacroix

« Reply #183 on: 18 May 2010, 10:07 pm »
OK, possibly a stupid question but I've scanned the back pages and not found the answer. Are there any planned upgrades for this Sony that don't involve tubes? I was happily in my mind settled that I'd go with an Oppo SE next, and have it upgraded by Dan and co but the I just can't kick the feeling that as an audiophile, I really just want a great 2-ch SA(CD) player and the Sony might be the next step (from my very respectable Marantz SA11-S1). The various comments here suggest the Sony is the better sounding player once all mods are compared but I am just not sure I want tubes in my on-all-the-time rig, especially if I have to keep replacing them. Am I concerned needlessly here?

btw - I am just amazed at the level of output from Dan and co, from new products and new mods to constant polite management of this hyperactive forum. Kudos all round.

modwright

« Reply #184 on: 19 May 2010, 05:46 pm »
If there is adequate interest, it is certainly possible for us to provide a SS mod for the Sony.  In the same manner, we are going to offer tube mods for the Oppo, based on the design for the Sony.  Both mod boards are designed such that they could fit either player.  Our SS Oppo mod board would fit cleanly inside the Sony and I am certain that it would sound fantastic.

We ARE currently booking Sony tube mods!

Please, any who are interested in this, chime in!

Thanks!

Dan W.

Eric

« Reply #185 on: 1 Jun 2010, 10:30 pm »
I just reserved my unit for mod

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #186 on: 24 Dec 2010, 03:38 pm »
Hi   Tino how can adding distortion( tubes etc) improve the sound ? You are the only person I know of who dislikes the  highs on the 5400ES   . IMO absolutely no mods required (a total waste of time & money) if using HDMI and SACD MCH. Vince tells me that your dirty mains supply etc. probably your biggest problem

Man, you must be the worst troll on the entire Internet.  I have been doing a little research on the Sony 5400 and have seen your clueless posts in three different forums now.

You clearly have no understanding of the things of which you speak.  You don't understand electronics or psycho-acoustics, you have a mid-fi system, and by your own admission have never heard this modded player or, I am reasonably sure, not only no Modwright product but no digital player with a true valve output stage anywhere, ever.

Here are a few general topics to research to help you understand why a properly done valve (or discrete solid-state) output stage could definitely sound better than op-amps:

1) The effects of feedback (even high-speed feedback).
2) Parts count & circuit simplicity.
3) Perhaps most important, the sonic effects to humans of the harmonic distortion spectra: low vs. high-order harmonic distortion as well as even vs. odd-order.

That speaks to the output stage.  Dan's other mods address things like power supply regulation and jitter - perhaps even you can have some inkling of understanding of the effects of jitter in digital playback.

That's great that your stock player sounds fine to you.  Guess what: my stock 5400 sounds great too.  And for some people an iPod with earbuds is all they will ever need or want.  Good for them (seriously).