New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« Reply #160 on: 9 Jun 2018, 08:46 am »
Hey Greg
16 Heo 3's per  speaker /  6 Neo 10's per speaker IIRC.     

jay

Thanks Jay, there's some cost there for sure but man I bet they sound good!

Captainhemo

« Reply #161 on: 9 Jun 2018, 04:10 pm »
Thanks Jay, there's some cost there for sure but man I bet they sound good!

Yup,  don heard them  when he was  down   to see danny, he  was  pretty dam impressed to say  the least.  In fact,  don't  know  of anyone who heard them that  wasn't !
2 way networks so   parts  count is not  likely too high but for a pair of these, I'd be going  "all in"  with  the parts so there'd  be  some expense there too

I've looked at some composites that I think may work ( would requier some testing) but they'd still end up  pretty spendy

But, the end result.....  :beer:

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #162 on: 9 Jun 2018, 04:41 pm »
Yup,  don heard them  when he was  down   to see danny, he  was  pretty dam impressed to say  the least.  In fact,  don't  know  of anyone who heard them that  wasn't !
2 way networks so   parts  count is not  likely too high but for a pair of these, I'd be going  "all in"  with  the parts so there'd  be  some expense there too

I've looked at some composites that I think may work ( would requier some testing) but they'd still end up  pretty spendy

But, the end result.....  :beer:

jay

I would have to agree with Don's assessments as well as Scott's and anybody else that has heard them. At the time I heard them, Danny was calling them the Six Sixteens due to the driver count. Glorious sound for sure but remember, the complete system has 4 towers: the two 6/16s and a pair of triple 12 OB H-Frames. That puts the drivers and A370 amps north of $7,600. That would put a DIY build probably at least $10k.  Now go top tier on the crossover components and finish ...

That's not to say it wouldn't be a massive bargain and worth every cent, I'd just have to save up for 4 or 5 years to afford it. Then come up with a room large enough to put them in. I only have two rooms big enough in my house, the living room and master bedroom. Somehow I don't think either will fly with my wife  :(

Mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #163 on: 9 Jun 2018, 07:30 pm »
A line array of Neo10's is the ONLY thing that would give me any kind of envy re: speaker performance at this point.  I "might" consider making one or buying one if I had the space, but there is absolutely no way to shoehorn them into my current living room.  The Super 7's already completely dominate that space :P
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2018, 11:57 pm by Tyson »

Folsom

« Reply #164 on: 9 Jun 2018, 08:34 pm »
What is the minimal amount of Neo8's to achieve good SPL? Say down to 300hz?

Danny Richie

« Reply #165 on: 9 Jun 2018, 10:01 pm »
What is the minimal amount of Neo8's to achieve good SPL? Say down to 300hz?

Neo 8's simply can't play down that low. That would really be a stretch even for a long line of them.

I crossed 9 of them in the LS-9 where they were naturally rolling off and that was at 850Hz.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #166 on: 9 Jun 2018, 10:03 pm »
If you want a Neo driver to reach down to 300 Hz, I suspect you need the Neo 10.  On my LS9's the Neo8's cross around 900Hz handing off to an array of 6.5" midwoofers. 

Danny beat me to it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #167 on: 9 Jun 2018, 10:09 pm »
Yeah, a line of Neo 10's will get you to a -3db just below 200Hz.

Folsom

« Reply #168 on: 9 Jun 2018, 10:32 pm »
Ah, ok.

The Piega planar midrange is like the Neo's, but plays farther. I thought the Neo's went farther.

*** Looks like the 10 fills that kind of requirement.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #169 on: 10 Jun 2018, 12:08 am »
Sorry all, I mis-spoke in my earlier post - I did indeed mean the Neo10, not the Neo8.  IMO the Neo10 is much better sounding than the Neo8, and is probably the best pure-midrange driver I've ever heard.  And the Neo3 tweeter is right there with it, quality wise. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #170 on: 10 Jun 2018, 02:31 am »
Not entirely sure I'd agree with "much better" assessment.  I suspect they'd be hard to identify from each other over most of their overlapping range.  But, as you mentioned, the 10 is a true mid, and the 8 can handle most/all of the tweeter range as well. 

nerdorama

« Reply #171 on: 23 Jun 2018, 07:39 pm »
Another update...

Jay sent me these baffles.

Then I modified the tweeter wave guide.

And I played with the short side wing a bit.

The response looks excellent.

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and have been reading about the Wedgie speakers when I found this thread.  The Wedgie looks like a great project but this one with the Neo10's seems even more interesting to me.  Is this something that will be documented, or made into a kit, so others can pursue it?  I've also tried to find where the Wedgie flat packs might be available but haven't found it yet.
Thanks so much,
John

Danny Richie

« Reply #172 on: 24 Jun 2018, 01:16 pm »
We will offer it as a kit.

rockdrummer

« Reply #173 on: 25 Jun 2018, 03:02 am »
I looked and didn't see it, and also don't know if it's something one can figure out on their own. What's the sensitivity of something like this upcoming kit? The wedgie is between 93 and 94. Would this be higher or lower?
Ben

WC

« Reply #174 on: 25 Jun 2018, 03:21 am »
You could put a Neo3 and Neo10 together like shown, but will it sound the same or as good? Probably not. You most likely would need to get the waveguide right to get it to sound it's best. Danny will also put together a crossover that maximizes the performance. Most likely the kit will include a flat pack or front baffle of the top speaker since the waveguide is a critical piece.

Captainhemo

« Reply #175 on: 25 Jun 2018, 04:56 am »
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and have been reading about the Wedgie speakers when I found this thread.  The Wedgie looks like a great project but this one with the Neo10's seems even more interesting to me.  Is this something that will be documented, or made into a kit, so others can pursue it?  I've also tried to find where the Wedgie flat packs might be available but haven't found it yet.
Thanks so much,
John

The wedgies will be available  soon.... I know, they are way over due   :(.   We've been migrating to a new   shop(s) and it's taking  longer  than expected,  I apologize to  you guys  who have been waiting patiently,   we're  working on it

I looked and didn't see it, and also don't know if it's something one can figure out on their own. What's the sensitivity of something like this upcoming kit? The wedgie is between 93 and 94. Would this be higher or lower?
Ben

Ben,  not  100% sure but I'd guess they  will be  a little shy of the    93/94   mark... not sure  a single  Neo 10    will  make it up  that  high

You could put a Neo3 and Neo10 together like shown, but will it sound the same or as good? Probably not. You most likely would need to get the waveguide right to get it to sound it's best. Danny will also put together a crossover that maximizes the performance. Most likely the kit will include a flat pack or front baffle of the top speaker since the waveguide is a critical piece.

Yeah, and there is a lot of R&d that goes into  each of these, they are almost  all different.  the Neo is   sensitive to everything, baffle  width,   wave guide depth,     wave guide  flare (s),  wing shape  etc  etc.... then you  combine it all and it  gets  tricky.   they all have to be modeled, programmed and   prototyped, it's time  consuming.      Hoping the next  one  will be the cat's  meow"   at least for this   speaker.
Also note, there will be an active version of these available from HAL  (Hollis Audio Lavs)   :thumb:

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #176 on: 25 Jun 2018, 04:05 pm »
Ben

I posted the measured response on the previous page: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152039.msg1690550#msg1690550

rockdrummer

« Reply #177 on: 25 Jun 2018, 04:49 pm »
Ah, thanks for the responses. I don't know much about those charts. I see what you measured. (I knew there was probably a way an informed person would know it) :duh:

Danny Richie

« Reply #178 on: 25 Jun 2018, 06:06 pm »
Ah, thanks for the responses. I don't know much about those charts. I see what you measured. (I knew there was probably a way an informed person would know it) :duh:

Draw a line through the summed response (red line) that averages the level. That is the averaged sensitivity.

studiotech

« Reply #179 on: 28 Jun 2018, 03:17 am »
Sorry all, I mis-spoke in my earlier post - I did indeed mean the Neo10, not the Neo8.  IMO the Neo10 is much better sounding than the Neo8, and is probably the best pure-midrange driver I've ever heard.  And the Neo3 tweeter is right there with it, quality wise.

If you never tried the Neo8-S, I'd urge you to try them out.  In my opinion, they sound as good in my sealed, three way studio monitors as the Neo10s in my main system open baffles.  They play an octave lower AND cleaner than  the original  Neo8.

Greg