California Audio Labs System 1 - DAC - SOLD

audiowalker

California Audio Labs System 1 - DAC - SOLD
« on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:13 pm »
Clearing out more equipment. For your consideration is a nice California Audio Labs System 1 DAC, an oldie but goodie. Here is a bit of information on this DAC:

"Made in 1992 and selling for $1995, the CAL System 1 was one of the high end digital analog processors of that time. The sound of the unit could be customized with four different plug-in modules. This unit has the MASH IV 1-bit, 32x oversampling module and the Indus 20-bit, 8x oversampling module."

This unit only comes with the MASH IV module. The condition is good to excellent. Part of the "glide" for the top panel is broken off. I have a picture but it is hard to tell. I am the second owner of this unit. Purchased this it when I was going through a phase of trying out different DAC. The picture of the top is taken to show the condition. The screws will be placed back in their place when shipped.

Unit is heavy, approximately 25 lbs so shipping costs will be accordingly. Provide zip and I can give you an estimate. Shipping will be UPS, insured, with tracking number. Paypal, please add 3.5% and I will only ship CONUS.

Thanks for your interest and PM if for questions.

« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2011, 03:06 am by audiowalker »

bummrush

Re: California Audio Labs System 1 - DAC
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:28 pm »
How much?

audiowalker

Re: California Audio Labs System 1 - DAC - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:30 pm »
Hi there:

I knew I forgot something. I am thinking $125 is fair. Really do not know what this is worth. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2011, 03:07 am by audiowalker »

bummrush

Re: California Audio Labs System 1 - DAC ($125.00)
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:42 pm »
Thanks I'm sure you will find a buyer,,price looks like more then fair.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2011, 08:07 pm »
These are still pretty good DAC's. I still use one in my wood shop and the sound is better than everything at this price point, it took a AVA Insight DAC to beat it's sound. I use the Indus module because the MASH IV was damaged so I was never able to compare the two modules. Note that the CAL uses a muting relay that audibly clicks between songs so the box clicks twice between cuts, it is soft but noticeable. I use a real cheap Sony DVD player as a source and get fantastic sound. At $125 it's a screaming deal.

More interior photos of this 1992 State-of-the-Art DAC along with a PDF copy of the Stereophile review from August 1992 (Vol. 15, No. Eight) can be found here:
http://www.wghwoodworking.com/cal/cal.html

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm »
A blast from the past. Very sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Anand.

audiowalker

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2011, 02:20 am »
Thanks everyone for the posts. I just checked shipping for another member and shipping to 40000 zip code was between $42 to $45, insured either UPS or FedEx. Boy has shipping gotten expensive. Also, double checked all connections, sounds amazing considering the age. I only wish I had the other module.......Cheers and Happy 4th!

audiowalker

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2011, 03:08 am »
SOLD! Thanks.