Elac BS41 Bookshelf Speakers

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
Elac BS41 Bookshelf Speakers
« on: 19 Feb 2022, 09:30 pm »
One of the better cheap and cheerful deals for me and for under $70 brand new ... built good and sound overall good with some rich deep bass for their size ... they have some of that former Pioneer BS22 speaker sound ... but no mention of whether or not Andrew Jones designed them ... the tweeter and woofer are different from the older Pioneer series speakers ... for me they are one of the best deals out there for under $100.

jmc207

Re: Elac BS41 Bookshelf Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2022, 11:46 pm »
Neat little speaker. Does anything they do compare to the DCM TP160S?

Thanks, John

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2022, 12:03 am »
Neat little speaker. Does anything they do compare to the DCM TP160S?

Thanks, John
They are on the heels of the TP160S ... the midrange of the Elac is more even ... the Elac has a little more bass ... The TP160S will have a little more clarity and treble response. The TP160S can handle a little more power.

On a side note I pulled off the Elac tweeter grill and it opened the treble some more

jmc207

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2022, 05:26 pm »
I'm surprised you say the Elacs have more bass than the DCMs, though I assume they can't go as loud overall. I bought the DCM TP160s intending they would to go to a friend in need of better speakers. However, I've been so pleased with them that I kept them. They have been great in my desktop system. Now, a pair of the Elacs is on the way to me and I hope to be surprised again.

BTW, I finally ordered the 20 ohm resistor that Dennis Murphy mentions adding to the DCM TP160s, but haven't installed it yet. Have you tried that mod?

Thanks again,
John

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2022, 05:36 pm »
I'm surprised you say the Elacs have more bass than the DCMs, though I assume they can't go as loud overall. I bought the DCM TP160s intending they would to go to a friend in need of better speakers. However, I've been so pleased with them that I kept them. They have been great in my desktop system. Now, a pair of the Elacs is on the way to me and I hope to be surprised again.

BTW, I finally ordered the 20 ohm resistor that Dennis Murphy mentions adding to the DCM TP160s, but haven't installed it yet. Have you tried that mod?

Thanks again, John
With the Elac you will love, like, or hate it ... the voicing is different

The DCM will play louder ... the Elac does go low and can get around 55, 50 hz in room, but also has a bass bloom around 90 hz, so they for sure need room from the walls or put some poly-batten in the ports if near a wall ... good price and easy return if you do not like, but maybe also give to a friend ... enjoy the journey

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2022, 06:13 pm »

Thanks again,
John

I have the TP160's. The resistor tames a bit of the high end harshness if that bothers you. But I would highly recommend dampening the front panel on the inside and the port tube and brace the cabinet walls. That makes the bass so much better and tighter as well as improving the midrange -when you turn up the volume.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2022, 10:47 pm »

Thanks again, John
I did not do the mod ... while it was a little bright, it was not sharp or edgy to me, they were within my tolerance level.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2022, 07:49 pm »
I think that I have found my happy place with the Elac BS41 speakers ... in my room even with them about 12 inches from the back wall and even more from the side walls, the rear port was a bit too much ... a sock in the port effects it too much ... so I put Poly-batten in the rear ports, that way some air can still pass through ... so with that and the tweeter grill removed this is an all around better sounding speaker and some good sounding budget-friendly speakers

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2022, 03:34 am »
Well one more time ... Well after doing more so called analytical listening today ... I decided that after taming the sort of over-ripe port, that the overall sound seemed to be a little off balance ... so I put them Tweeter grills back on and this brought more overall balance ... So for me with the port full open, the tweeter grill needed to come off ... And with the port tamed the tweeter grill needs to be back on ... all in all for me, this is an impressive set of budget speakers and they are keeping the modified Cambridge speakers out of duty for now.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2022, 09:40 am »
Well as the Amazon World Turns ... they put the Elac BS41 back up to the suggested retail price of $149

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2022, 12:29 pm »
With the price now equal at $149 which one, DCM 160S CH or Elac BS41, would you go with now?  And are they the same bargain at twice the price now?  As silly as it sounds the cherry vinyl wrap on the DCM speakers make a difference for me.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2022, 01:27 pm »
You can set up a price alert on camelcamelcamel, chances are they will come down again
https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08W9B2DBL?context=search

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2022, 03:25 pm »
With the price now equal at $149 which one, DCM 160S CH or Elac BS41, would you go with now?  And are they the same bargain at twice the price now?  As silly as it sounds the cherry vinyl wrap on the DCM speakers make a difference for me.
They are both really good for the price, and for me the Elac is worth $149 and the same for DCM ... the sonic sound signature is a little different on both ... but they both have real good bass, the 4 inch woofer on the Elac is surprising, while it has some bloom around 90 hz, it can still go down to 50 hz in room ... the Elac has a better midrange to me and voices are a little better on the Elac to me ... the DCM is a little bright in the mids and treble, but still not sharp or edgy to me, and their treble will have a little more clarity. For long period listening, I can listen to the Elac longer ... it will come down to a matter of preference, but the mids on the Elac is hard to pass up ... I am a fan of the cherry finish on the DCM

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2022, 07:10 pm »
I thought that the DCMs were out of production. Anyway, the binding posts are crap. It's a shame too because they are some really nice speakers - when the cabinets are  dampened.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2022, 07:13 pm »
I thought that the DCMs were out of production. Anyway, the binding posts are crap.
They are out of production ... and the Elac has better binding posts