Omni’s stream mini

RooX

Omni’s stream mini
« on: 27 Jan 2022, 02:32 am »
Ok, so is the stream mini all I’ll need to stream hi res audio (or best quality audio in Spotify connects case) from tidal, quobuz, etc?

It would be going directly into my ida-8.

Is it pretty much comparable to a bluesound node?  Is the wr-1 better?  Nuprime has a large number of streamers, and I’m just a bit lost on what does what I’m regards to only “non-local” streaming

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Omni’s stream mini
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2022, 02:40 am »
I'm with you, RooX. The selection on the Nuprime website is a bit overwhelming.

RooX

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2022, 03:17 am »
Glad I’m not the only one. Years of I.T experience and been streaming since the o.g squeezebox, yet completely lost on all of nuprimes offerings

redcoat28

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2022, 04:23 am »
Hi all, I just got a stream mini today and just wondering if there is any benefit to using a linear power supply with it. Anybody tried this?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2022, 02:57 pm »
It would probably be much better if NuPrime put a comparison chart.  Some of their offerings also have DACs and amps built in.  So that's something that someone with an IDA-8 wouldn't need.  The WR-1 for $100 more than the mini adds the capability to connect a local drive for your own files and of course is capable of higher resolutions vs. the 192Khz of the mini.  The WR-1 also has wired ethernet so that if you don't have an ethernet jack, one could always get something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084CZMYNM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details 

Apparently the WR-1 only has SPDIF out (vs. USB) and I believe you can only get single rate DSD (via DoP) to the IDA-8 if you had a hard drive connected to the WR-1.  The mini has a I2S output which will work with some of the NuPrime DAC offerings.

So it depends on what other hardware you have and your system goals.  If it is just for streaming then you might have a different selection vs. someone who wants streaming and playback or just playback from a hard drive.  For some, they may find it easier to buy a small fanless PC for around $150, give or take and a used computer monitor and a wireless keyboard and get by for a little less than something like the mini (but of course one has to deal with Windows and some don't want to do that).  With that, an ethernet powerline adapter and hard drive could be added at a later date along with a program like JRiver. 

There's a bunch of products like the Bluesound mentioned (or Sonos).  Like everything else it depends on budget, preferences, and what one has in their system (audio and video wise).  With DLNA, one can use various devlices, including some Blu-Ray players.  While Oppo isn't made any longer, if I so wanted, my BDP-103Ds can do DLNA from music on my network to Tidal (https://tidal.com/about/oppo).  Some won't want video disc playback on a 2-channel system and won't want to connect a monitor.  So decide on what features you want or will want in the near future and then make a list of what equipment is out there new and used that fits the bill.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2022, 05:20 pm »
The streaming products are differentiated from each other by functions.
Stream Mini is for existing integrated amp or DAC whereas Stream Mini DAC is for pairing with active speaker or amp.
If you have a high-end DAC and want the best streaming audio performance, then go with Stream-9.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=885871802087329&ref=sharing

RooX

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2022, 09:04 pm »
what about the wr-1? Is it higher performance than the stream mini?

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 4 Feb 2022, 09:13 am »
No, WR-1 cost more simply because it has other features than Stream Mini which is a pure streaming transport. Stream Mini has higher re-streaming (24/192K with other Stream Mini) capability than WR-1 (which can only re-stream at 16/44.1K).  Furthermore, Stream Mini supports AirPlay 2 and WR-1 doesn't.

giordy60

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:05 pm »
Jason a question
I have a mini stream dac at home
if i use its app and log in to qobuz i can't play hi-res file, but everything is played at 16 / 44.1
if i use mconnect app i can play qobuz hi-res files on mini stream dac.
where am i wrong?
thank you.

giordy60

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2022, 12:47 pm »
I solved.....
it was a set-up within the app that was not selected.

giordy60

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2022, 02:49 pm »
anyway congratulations to Jason for the realization of the small mini stream dac  :dance:

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2022, 01:57 pm »
I'm with you, RooX. The selection on the Nuprime website is a bit overwhelming.

I have added Stream system to the buying guide: https://nuprimeaudio.com/systems/

giordy60

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2022, 07:26 am »
hi Jason
a question....
omnia mini stream-dac what impedance does it have?
on the net I can't find the value
thank you.

giordy60

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2022, 12:30 pm »

If you have a high-end DAC and want the best streaming audio performance, then go with Stream-9.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=885871802087329&ref=sharing

Jason a question .....
can stream 9 do upsampling to PCM and DSD?
also from streaming?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2022, 03:48 pm »
Jason a question .....
can stream 9 do upsampling to PCM and DSD?
also from streaming?

I believe this answers your question:

The NuPrime Stream-9 ($1099) is a reference class multi-room streaming station capable of Wi-Fi 24-bit/192kHz and Bluetooth 5.0 aptX HD streaming. The Stream-9 includes multiple digital outputs for connecting to external DAC. It supports all major online streaming services, Bluetooth 5.0 (aptX HD), network DLNA and AirPlay 2 streaming. A selectable sampling rate converter (SRC) samples the streaming source music to a higher sampling rate (up to PCM 24-bit/768kHz and DSD256) with ultra-low jitter and distortion.
* No internal DAC and analog output

giordy60

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2022, 05:40 pm »
I believe this answers your question:

perfect !
thanks for your answer  :dance:

giordy60

« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2022, 02:43 pm »
hi Jason
a question....
omnia mini stream-dac what impedance does it have?
on the net I can't find the value
thank you.

Jason
maybe you missed the tread ..... I asked what output impedance has the omnia stream-dac .......
but here's a new question ......
always the stream-mini-dac ...... how does it connect to the qobuz site?
what protocol does it use?
http or with https?
thank you

giordy60

« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2022, 09:44 am »
what does the new firmware on omnia stream dac correct? .....
I haven't downloaded it yet .....

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2022, 11:43 am »
It fixed the gapless playback problem (meaning it can now do gapless playback).
The firmware update is only available for Stream Mini and Stream Mini DAC.  Still working on the firmware for A300, A300SE, A200 and Stream-9.

Westerwälder

« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2022, 03:24 pm »
Nuprime Audio FR has confirmed on Facebook the update also for the WR-1:
"An upgrade is proposed since a few days, on our models NuPrime WR-1, Omnia A200, Omnia A300, Omnia Stream Mini and Omnia Stream Mini DAC."
Is that possible?