DIY speaker level to line level conversion

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
DIY speaker level to line level conversion
« on: 25 Jan 2022, 03:26 am »
So I wanted to try an experiment in how I connect my pair of subwoofers. Currently my receiver has two subwoofer outs but both connections are summed mono. I know there is minimal directionality to sound below 80hz but like I said it's an experiment to see how it goes. I wanted to build a converter box to have a paralleled speaker out that gets dropped to line level for making stereo subs. I've seen most examples stating a 0.25w 10k resistor in conjunction with a 1k resistor and rhe output should be a 10:1 voltage drop back to line level. So my real question is this; does the type/brand of resistor matter for this experiment? Should I wire up a cheap-o set of $0.50 resistors to some female RCAs or is there something more specific to do this correctly? I don't mind tinkering with this experiment cause it sounds like it could be fun and my speaker wire is terminated in KLE bananas on the amp side so it will be easy to arrange. Looking forward to any info and recommendations.

Thanks for the help

nlitworld

Re: DIY speaker level to line level conversion
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2022, 12:19 am »
We're going to give this a try as it's a cheap experiment. Bought some Takman metal film resistors and KLE rca plugs. I'll make a little plastic enclosure real quickie and wire them up when they arrive and see how everything goes. Could be total crap, but it could be a nice touch. My main goal is to position myself to have an easy changeover for upgrading to a decent tube integrated shortly down the road and some of the more affordable options don't come with preouts. This would allow an easy plug and play for still running stereo subs, and if it benefits the system sound currently then all the better!

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2022, 02:04 am »
I use a Jensen Iso-max that converts speaker output to RCA to feed my sups and it work great. If the resisters don’t work you might look into one.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2022, 01:08 pm »
My vintage Marantz preamp (the 3300) converts speaker power to a line level (and combines the two channels) to create a mono center channel. In the wiring diagram, they (Marantz designers) put a 22K resistor on the positive and a 1-ohm resistor on the shield side. They use 1/2 watt for the 22k  and a 2 watt for the 1 ohm resistor.

That is if you feel like doing a DIY thing.

nlitworld

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2022, 02:13 pm »
In the wiring diagram, they (Marantz designers) put a 22K resistor on the positive and a 1-ohm resistor on the shield side. They use 1/2 watt for the 22k  and a 2 watt for the 1 ohm resistor.

That is if you feel like doing a DIY thing.

Thanks for the tip. If the 10k and 1k resistors I ordered don't seem to do the trick quite right then I'll keep those values in mind. When resistors are a whopping $0.65 each, I can afford some experimentation. I'm really looking forward to having true stereo subs that I can hear when the guitars and bass guitar are off to one side or the other in the mix it is noticable. I love to geek out on spacial cues like that.

nlitworld

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2022, 06:25 am »
So I finished soldering my converter box this evening and popped on Dark Side. I know, how typical. On The Run took on a whole new sound with all the bouncing back and forth. Definitely a nice improvement and a fun little project to work with. Most importantly is that it sets my system up for an easy upgrade down the road when I replace my pioneer receiver with a tube integrated which may or may not come with sub outs. While it's a little funky to have a little box hanging off the back, the sound that comes from it is worth it.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2022, 12:45 am »
So I finished soldering my converter box this evening and popped on Dark Side. I know, how typical.

"How typical", definitely got a chuckle out of that statement. Glad it worked out, your analysis of what you were doing is sound. I have stereo subs, not sure if I get any localization (stereo), but it helps considerable with room modes due to the distribution. I really am pleased with my setup and am sure you are also.