High End OB Design

JEM1978

High End OB Design
« on: 31 Dec 2021, 09:47 pm »
Hi, I’m new to the forum.  My current stereo setup costing in the lower five figures has Nola V1 speakers.  I have built some decent box speakers and subs in the past and am now wanting to build some OB speakers that will outshine my Nola speakers.  My wife nixed buying the Spatial Audio X3 and the new Nola V3 speakers.   So I am looking to diy to get equal or better for less.   I have been toying with the idea of the Liionidas Open baffle speaker but I like the idea of AMT drivers for high end plus the separate amps on the X3 for the woofers.  (I have not heard either).  Also considering an active x-over with room correction (at least for woofers).  I have decent carpentry skills but not skilled in speaker design.  So I would prefer piggybacking on someone else’s proven design.  Budget is $2,000 to $4,000. Excluding baffles.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JEM1978

Re: High End OB Design
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2021, 09:53 pm »
Correction to my post:  My current setup has Nola KO V1 speakers.

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2021, 10:57 pm »
On this forum, I think you will very quickly receive recommendations to check out GR Research designs.  Have you taken a look at the NX series options - especially the NX Treme or NX Otica? 

But it would be helpful to know why your wife nixed the X3 and Nola V3 as options.  The GR Research options take more space than the X3 for sure - X3 is the space-saving option.  But hopefully your wife didn't nix the X3 because it was too large or took too much space?  But if those were her concerns, I have a feeling you won't find any OB options that are better than the X3. 

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2021, 11:08 pm »
On this forum, I think you will very quickly receive recommendations to check out GR Research designs.  Have you taken a look at the NX series options - especially the NX Treme or NX Otica? 

But it would be helpful to know why your wife nixed the X3 and Nola V3 as options.  The GR Research options take more space than the X3 for sure - X3 is the space-saving option.  But hopefully your wife didn't nix the X3 because it was too large or took too much space?  But if those were her concerns, I have a feeling you won't find any OB options that are better than the X3.

Yeah, quite frankly, there's only one high-end, DIY OB option for you if size is a factor -- GR Research for OB monitors and "narrow" OB floorstanders similar in size to your Nolas. Even if you decide to build from scratch, you'll still need someone to design the crossover for you and to give you expert advice. It's not as simple as it appears to be. Once again, that's GR Research. If you build the NX Oticas, for example, it will likely be significantly superior in sound to your current speakers.

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2021, 11:18 pm »
Right, but while the NX series are narrow baffle approaches like the Nola KO, they unfortunately require separate subs for full-range sound (and pretty much require the stacked OB subs by GR research to do this, given OB synergy but also ability to play up to 200hz cleanly as needed by the main NX tower designs).  So, you're dealing with two towers for each channel, and one of those towers ain't a narrow baffle one. 

Maybe she'd be alright with a dual OB H-frame sub with the NX studio monitor on top?  This could be a good fit and large improvement as long as your listening room isn't cavernous. 

BTW, I do know what you're trying to improve on, since a buddy of mine has had Nola KO V1's for years and I've heard them at his house on a number of occasions.  Another buddy has built the NX studio monitors by GR Research, but I haven't heard those yet to have a sense of how they compare. 

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2022, 12:25 am »
Take a look at Linkwitz Speakers, they are open baffle and d.i.y. Show your wife the LX521.4.

https://www.linkwitzlab.com/

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2022, 02:09 am »
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with genjamon.  I've owned a pair of Nola KO's since 2016 and I'd be hard pressed to see what great improvement you would get from a DIY OB project without spending five figures in parts and ending up with something larger and more intrusive.. The KO's in any of the three versions is without a doubt one of Carl's great accomplishments in getting great sound without the very high prices of his top end models. The only significant changes in the three versions involve changes made to the midrange driver by the manufacturer that required a new crossover design. He also changed the wiring from Neotech OCC copper to Nordost and increased the price 25%.  I have yet to figure out from the promo material what actual changes accounted for version 3 and another large price increase. The tweeter change again from a manufacturer's change happened part way through version 1.  I own Carl's actual personal pair Serial #'s 001 and 002 which made their debut at RMAF.  The crates have the exhibitor tags still on them.  I bought them from Carl when V2 was released.  I've owned and still own several speakers that cost considerably more than what I payed for the Nola's and while they each may be better in some ways and not in others than the KO's they are not flat out top to bottom better. I've also owned two Spatial models so I understand the attraction to full OB over the partial OB design of the KO. My 2 cents.

JCarney

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2022, 03:06 am »
I have never heard these in any of their forms, but they sure look interesting.

https://www.pureaudioproject.com

Good Luck,
JCarney
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2022, 03:26 pm by JCarney »

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2022, 03:31 am »
If a single footprint is required you can build out the NX Otica as an MTM and stack them on the sub, these are fantastic sounding, I have not heard the full Otica.  Here are mine:

My sub amps are built into the ends of the equipment rack.

Good luck with your search!

Best,
Ed

Bumpy

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm »
Out of interest does the longer baffle return go to the inside or outside of the speaker set up and can you describe the differences in the two orientations?
Thanks

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2022, 04:03 am »
The longer wings go on the inside and provide for better separation between the two channels.  If the longer wings were place on the outsides than the two distinct channels get pushed together and lose distinction, with some loss of soundstage width/depth, depending on the room.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2022, 03:38 pm »
Those things look amazing!!!!

Chewbacca

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2022, 07:44 pm »
The NX-Oticas bass extension is going to largely depend on your room. My room is a bit of an oddity - It's ~ 19.5' x 12', with the speakers placed on the 19.5' wall. Speakers are about 4' into the room, and the bass extends flat to 50hz without a sub. I then use a Rythmik F15HP to play the lower frequencies. You won't need a sub that plays clean to 200hz for the Oticas. This is more for the Super 7's and Otica-MTM's. My sub hardly plays at all for organic music, and have the crossover almost as low as it goes (~35hz). Electronic/bass heavy music, it get's moving of course.

I'm going to move over to dual OB sub towers eventually, but if I was more limited on space, I wouldn't have the slightest issue keeping the sealed sub I currently have. The current configuration is jaw dropping. The NX-Oticas are no doubt world class speakers! I'm so glad I took the time and effort to build them.

Bumpy

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2022, 08:58 am »
The longer wings go on the inside and provide for better separation between the two channels.  If the longer wings were place on the outsides than the two distinct channels get pushed together and lose distinction, with some loss of soundstage width/depth, depending on the room.

Thanks for that :)  In addition, what type of acoustic panels do you have on the wall behind the speakers?

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2022, 04:04 am »
My latest build uses the ESS great Heil AMT on top and an Audio Nirvana Super 12 in open baffle. The drivers are so well matched and wideband that I am just using a first order on both at about 1800 Hz crossover. I use an SVS sub below 70 Hz. Best system I have ever had. I tried for many years to match the speed and efficiency of the Heil AMT and I finally succeeded with the Audio Nirvana 12 inch full range driver.

No more audiophile jargon analysis - this just sounds like LIVE music with decent source material.

I sold my Spatials as they are not refined or dynamic enough for me. My DIY sounds like electrostats blended with high efficiency horns without the drawbacks of both.

Nsm1979

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2022, 01:55 pm »
Got pics?

drmike

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2022, 12:17 pm »
horizons,
are baffle dimensions and speaker positioning available?
thnks

embty2002

« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2023, 11:45 am »
My latest build uses the ESS great Heil AMT on top and an Audio Nirvana Super 12 in open baffle. The drivers are so well matched and wideband that I am just using a first order on both at about 1800 Hz crossover. I use an SVS sub below 70 Hz. Best system I have ever had. I tried for many years to match the speed and efficiency of the Heil AMT and I finally succeeded with the Audio Nirvana 12 inch full range driver.

No more audiophile jargon analysis - this just sounds like LIVE music with decent source material.

I sold my Spatials as they are not refined or dynamic enough for me. My DIY sounds like electrostats blended with high efficiency horns without the drawbacks of both.

Hello, i use an Eminence Beta 12A + Great Heil new Limited edition with 1st order 2500hz . Sub 2 X 15" MCM 55-2974 for each channel below 70Hz with minidsp nanodigi crossover.
Beta 12A + Heil sound as one driver i love them.