Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings

Desertpilot

• Retired
Re: Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings
« Reply #100 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:48 am »
Very nice.  I can affirm that the DSD recordings of the Tokyo Quartet performing the Beethoven string quartets are also excellent sounding.

Thank you Tyson

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #101 on: 24 Dec 2021, 12:50 am »
Solid pick Marcus!  What was the second one?

Just posted.  Rick Stotijn (Double Bass) and members of the Amsterdam Sinfonietta.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177443.msg1888909#new

Marcus
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2021, 02:12 am by Desertpilot »

rotarius

« Reply #102 on: 24 Dec 2021, 04:09 am »
Just posted.  Rick Stotijn (Double Bass) and members of the Amsterdam Sinfonietta.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177443.msg1888909#new

Marcus

Thank you.  Just streamed it on Amazon, very enjoyable with the double bass.

Chewbacca

« Reply #103 on: 28 Dec 2021, 08:50 pm »
I just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for the time and suggestions for my musical requests! The first one I listened to was my favorite so far... The Aeon Trio - Elegy album. I first put this on as some background music to eat dinner to, then after about two songs found myself sitting on the couch (I think I finished dinner?.. Maybe not lol!) and didn't leave until the album was over. It was one of the most beautiful and EXHAUSTING albums I've ever listened to. By exhausting I mean, I was so into it, that afterword's I could hardly stay awake. It took so much out of me - I needed a nap :lol: But this is all GREAT praise! It is now, no doubt, one of my favorite albums of all times!

I'm sill going to go through all of the other suggestions - which I have a few down. BUT, if anyone else knows more along the lines of the Aeon Trio... That would be extremely appreciated! I know it's technically classified as jazz... but idk. It's kinda jazz/classical fusion? Maybe? But I do prefer smaller ensembles with different instrunments. Like this album: a piano, cello, and double bass. AMAZING!

Thank you all!

Aeon Trio "Elegy"

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #104 on: 28 Dec 2021, 09:19 pm »
I just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for the time and suggestions for my musical requests! The first one I listened to was my favorite so far... The Aeon Trio - Elegy album. I first put this on as some background music to eat dinner to, then after about two songs found myself sitting on the couch (I think I finished dinner?.. Maybe not lol!) and didn't leave until the album was over. It was one of the most beautiful and EXHAUSTING albums I've ever listened to. By exhausting I mean, I was so into it, that afterword's I could hardly stay awake. It took so much out of me - I needed a nap :lol: But this is all GREAT praise! It is now, no doubt, one of my favorite albums of all times!

I'm sill going to go through all of the other suggestions - which I have a few down. BUT, if anyone else knows more along the lines of the Aeon Trio... That would be extremely appreciated! I know it's technically classified as jazz... but idk. It's kinda jazz/classical fusion? Maybe? But I do prefer smaller ensembles with different instrunments. Like this album: a piano, cello, and double bass. AMAZING!

Thank you all!

Check out stuff by Terry Riley, Philip Glass, Steve Reich and John Adams.

dB Cooper

« Reply #105 on: 28 Dec 2021, 11:20 pm »

Thank you all!

Chewbacca, if you liked the Aeon trio, check out these Rolf Lislevand releases (especially 'Nuove Musiche')

and the following: Cello and guitar, a husband-and-wife collaboration:

dB Cooper

« Reply #106 on: 30 Dec 2021, 07:28 pm »
As a big believer in digital (no offense to the 'spinners' out there), I'd usually be the last to post something like this in a thread like this, but...

For a 1958 recording, this is a helluva piece of work as far as SQ is concerned. Whoever did the original engineering obviously knew what he was doing to get sound like this out of analog equipment. It doesn't say 'remastered' on the artwork anywhere AFAIK (I'm streaming it) but it's gotta be. It may even be Plangent-processed. The dynamics may fall a bit short of what you can get from digital, but when the original is done right (proper miking in particular) you can get results that are quite impressive for a 1958 recording. Especially in terms of dynamics and clarity.

Chewbacca

« Reply #107 on: 30 Dec 2021, 08:40 pm »
Thanks, Tyson and dB!

I should have some time this weekend, and will absolutely check those suggestions out! Can't wait! :thumb:

I'll also put that Leonard Bernstein album on my radar when searching the record stores! :wink:

Tyson

« Reply #108 on: 30 Dec 2021, 09:40 pm »
There are also a few groups that specialize in more modern style classical music.  The Kronos Quartet and Brooklyn Rider are 2 groups that do really interesting things.  In fact it was via the Kronos Quartet that I was first exposed to works by Terry Riley and Steve Reich. 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #109 on: 30 Dec 2021, 10:42 pm »
... It is now, no doubt, one of my favorite albums of all times!

Thank you all!

Comments like this one really encourages me to continue!!!  You are most welcome!  Glad you are enjoying the music.  I have more I will post soon.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #110 on: 5 Jan 2022, 06:48 pm »
Rota: Nonetto, Martinu: Nonet No. 2, Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 4

Intercontinental Ensemble, In Motu

Evaluate your system for ensemble music.

Marcus' thoughts:  I downloaded this album based on very positive reviews.  It's more than chamber music.  The ensemble has nine performers, four strings and five winds.  This is their second release from TRPTK.  Sonics are superb.  In surround, the rear channels are more aggressively used, so you get that "music in the round" effect.  Track 1 is typical chamber music but then, as it advances to track 2, the music turns drama filled.  The wind instruments play with each other with different melodies, separate and together.  Strings come in giving the music depth.  These 2 tracks set the tone for a wonderful listening experience.  The last set of tracks is the Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 4 orchestrated by the ensemble for their nine member group.  They have done this with a few other symphonies on their first album, Traveling Light.  If you like chamber music, this one is highly recommended.

HR Audio Review by Mark Werlin:  "... the nine-piece ensemble projects clarity of melodic line and bold strokes of instrumental color, and in their divergent idioms, generates movement—the unifying theme of “In Motu” (in motion)."

Alpha Audio:  "Few ensembles make such a varied and surprising musical journey as the ever-moving Intercontinental Ensemble."

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD or download from either Native DSD or TRPTK.
Catalog #TTK0071
Venue: Westvest 90 Church in Schiedam, Netherlands
Recording Date: May 17-19, 2021
Release Date:  September 3, 2021
Recording/Mastering engineer:  Brendon Heinst

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2022, 03:01 pm by Desertpilot »

noreilly

« Reply #111 on: 10 Jan 2022, 10:00 pm »
Thank you so much for this list, it'll be great to have such a listing to reference.

Regards,

Niall

Craig B

« Reply #112 on: 11 Jan 2022, 04:22 pm »
This one is not for the traditionalists, but the recording is remarkable. It seems I find that to be true for Naxos standard redbook CDs more often than not. The have an impressive catalog.

Tyson

« Reply #113 on: 11 Jan 2022, 04:23 pm »
Penderecki - not for the faint of heart!

bkatbamna

« Reply #114 on: 11 Jan 2022, 06:57 pm »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #115 on: 16 Jan 2022, 06:15 pm »
Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 2 in E minor Op. 27, Vocalise No. 14 Op. 34

Budapest Festival Orchestra
Ivan Fischer (conductor)

Marcus Thoughts:  Ordinarily, I do not highlight older recordings.  This one is from 2004 (gosh, eighteen years ago) and early in DSD performances.  However, I must offer to you a superb recording of Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 2 in E minor Op. 27.  This recording is highly praised both for performance and sonics.  I own the surround version in DSD 64.  The album continues to outshine even newer performances and I agree wholeheartedly.  Highly recommended.

David Hurwitz, Classics today:  "Fischer turns in what is unquestionably the finest version of the Rachmaninov Second Symphony to come along in years.  ...I can’t recommend this performance highly enough: everything about it is excellent, and it merits the enthusiastic attention of anyone who cares about top quality music-making presented in state-of-the-art sound."

Gramophone:  "Ivan Fischer and his magnificent Budapest Orchestra have made a Rachmaninov Second for our time staggeringly played and recorded."

Tech Specs:

Original Recording Format: DSD 64
Available in Stereo or Surround, SACD, CD, Download.
Catalog: Channel Classics 21604
Recording/Mixing/Mastering Engineers:  Hein Dekker, Jared Sacks
Venue:  Italian Institute, Budapest Hungary
Recording Date:  October 2003
Release Date:  2004

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2022, 03:03 pm by Desertpilot »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #116 on: 17 Jan 2022, 12:17 am »
"Ordinarily, I do not highlight older recordings."
Wow.  Of my multi thousand vinyl collection, very few are later than  the 2003 date you call "an older recording".   
I guess you are digital only, and I'm nearly all analogue.  Different universes. 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #117 on: 17 Jan 2022, 12:55 am »
"Ordinarily, I do not highlight older recordings."
Wow.  Of my multi thousand vinyl collection, very few are later than  the 2003 date you call "an older recording".   
I guess you are digital only, and I'm nearly all analogue.  Different universes.

Yes, all digital.  I try to stay away from DSD/SACD recordings between 2000 and 2005 as it was in its infancy.  It took awhile for recording/mastering engineers to get it right.  Lately, many engineers, even if they record in DSD, will now master in DXD (typically, 32/352.8 ) and modulate the master to DSD 64 to produce an SACD.  BIS is one of a very few recording labels that sticks to recording in PCM 24/96.  They then convert the master to DSD 64 to produce the SACD.

Why digital?  Lots of reasons but the most important for me is 5.0 (or 5.1) multichannel surround.  I rarely buy SACDs anymore.  I prefer downloads.

Why focus on digital in this thread?  I am trying to offer members the recordings that I feel are exceptionally well recorded and mastered for a sonic presentation which will challenge the member's audio system.  If you are looking for classical music which offers exceptional dynamic range with spectacular breadth and depth of soundstage then I hope the titles I have listed will be fulfilling.

Marcus

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #118 on: 17 Jan 2022, 01:20 am »
+1  :thumb:
But Iam buying vinyl again when the cover art are nice,  it looks great on the wall.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #119 on: 7 Feb 2022, 04:21 pm »
Ravel:
La Valse
Ma Mère l'Oye
Alborada del gracioso
Pavane pour une infante défunte
Vales nobles et sentimentales
Boléro

Sinfonia of London
John Wilson

Marcus' Thoughts:  I downloaded the album from Chandos (FLAC 24/96 surround). I've listened to it twice now and can attest that this is a superb recording both for performance and sonics. The winds are spectacular and make the music all the more enchanting. There's more, in fact, too many instruments to name that all have their moments to engage the listener. Once you realize there is nothing distracting in the performance, you can settle in and enjoy the musical journey from beginning to end. An emotional connection is easy to make with every track. Forget what was intended. Instead, sit back and allow the music to conjure up in your imagination whatever pictures come to mind. It is that good!

Aside from the performance, I need to comment on the sonics. When I first listened to the album, I was amazed at the clarity of each instrument. It was as if I could see the performer, on stage, in their rightful position. Aside from the individual performers, the whole orchestra comes together in a wide and deep soundstage. I'm not sure how it was accomplished, but the sonics in multichannel were among the best I've ever heard in my system. All the action was up in the front. My rear surrounds had only a minor role. It didn't matter. I was completely engaged from beginning to end. ...And what a great ending with Boléro. It is a wonderful feeling to purchase music and while listening it makes you sit up and take notice.

Graham Williams HRAudio.net:  "Comparisons with any of the countless other recordings of these ever popular pieces, all of which are already well represented on SACD, are superfluous and while one or more of them will be found already in the libraries of Ravel aficionados, the eloquence of Wilson’s performances – subtly nuanced in the more reflective pieces and rhythmically incisive elsewhere – are unmissable."

James Longstaffe – Prestomusic.com:  "… for me the highlight of the album has to be La valse, offering a dizzying kaleidoscope of shifting moods and colours. From complicated string harmonics to flutter-tongued flutes and raucous brass, it's a fiendishly difficult work to perform, and yet with this ensemble it comes across as nothing other than deftly effortless…”

David Mellor – The Daily Mail:  "… The ballet version [Bolero], with beautifully taken solos, is, for me, the major discovery here. This is a truly captivating album, particularly when the sound is of such demonstration quality. A great issue. I’m only giving it five stars because I’m not allowed to award ten.”

Tech Specs:
Available as CD, SACD or download (24/96).
Download and sample of tracks:  https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%205280
Catalog # CHAN 5280
Original Recording Format PCM 24/96
Originally Recorded in September 2021
Release Date: February 2022
Venue:  Church of S. Augustine, Kilburn, London
Sound Engineers: Ralph Couzens

Marcus

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2022, 03:03 pm by Desertpilot »