Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Instruments Truth Modifications A Review

TomS

Has Cambridge been rolling out any of the anticipated adds to this (e.g., MQA,Tidal)?
As I understand it, MQA would require a hardware change for MQA certification, so not very likely. Tidal Connect, if that's what you're looking for, has been there for some time.

jwes

Makes sense, thanks!

Meicheng

I'll post in the for sale section, but if anyone is interested, I have a minty like new CXN V2 that I'll sell for $795 plus shipping.  It is just a few months old and has seen very little use.  Includes everything that came with it new.  So you can save yourself some $$ over the $1100 price of a new unit.  If you're interested you can email me at meicheng101@gmail.com

TomS

I'll post in the for sale section, but if anyone is interested, I have a minty like new CXN V2 that I'll sell for $795 plus shipping.  It is just a few months old and has seen very little use.  Includes everything that came with it new.  So you can save yourself some $$ over the $1100 price of a new unit.  If you're interested you can email me at meicheng101@gmail.com
Plus they can send it out to Modwright and add a fantastic tube output stage to top it off! GLWS

morganc

Bumping this thread as I need a new source. For those of you who own this, how has is it now a few years in?   Any reviews or feedback appreciated. 

nature boy

I have the initial modified CXN V2 from Dan. It is working like a champ, no issues and the sound quality is fantastic. You can also roll the 6922 tubes to suit your taste.

NB

RonP

Mine still works and sounds great. However, lately I've been enjoying my fancy new MC cartridge on my Turntable.  :)

crunchmaster2000

To answer the questions: Sound stage, yes it improved tremendously. And my unit still works without ever any hiccups or issues.

I find the 6922 tubes you put in the power source has a very significant impact. Tubes I've tried so far:
- JJ (stock tubes Mod Wright provides): too bright and a bit flat overall
- TAD: a little less bright and some holographicness going on
- Mullard: very smooth, but almost to the point where it sounds muffled, Over time this improves, but the holographicness is almost killed
- Amperex: Almost best sounding, most holographic but still a tad too bright for me
- Matsushita: favorite, has a bit of holo and the highs are tamed

Mind you my speakers and audio chain have their own specific need. Going to shop this morning a bit around for other premium NOS tubes...

duegi

Folks, I've got a CXN V2 on a 2nd system in my house and considering the upgrade from ModWright. I realize this is a very subjective inquiry but how much would you who heard the old VS the upgrade say the SQ is improved. I was originally using a Node (3), upgraded the power source which resulted in a slight SQ improvement. Later on, I borrowed a friends CXN V2, noticed another improvement in SQ, not massive but better. Today (relative) I'm reading about and diffing for info on having the ModWright upgrade done to the CXN V2 and would like input from folks who have experience with the pre and post mod sound of the CXN V2.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2023, 03:26 pm by duegi »

Carlton9000

I would also be interested in hearing others impressions of the Modwright CXN. I am taking it that of those that have the modded unit are mostly satisfied, hence not much feedback on the web.

nature boy

I am extremely satisfied with the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. It's truly the swiss army knife of streamer/DAC's IMHO. Very easy to set up and link to WiFi and has performed flawlessly. I use my Modwright modified unit in conjunction with Qobuz and Roon controlling software. The Roon makes for a seemless interface giving me easy access to stored music on my hard drive and Qobuz.

Sound quality is outstanding.

NB
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2023, 05:55 pm by nature boy »

Carlton9000

Thanks for your feedback. I went to the Florida Expo hoping that the unit would be on display. I did have a few questions that I was able to as Kristen at Modwright. Mostly concerned if there were any issues in the field with the units that they have modded and the possibility to keep the network active with the tubes shut down to allow remote awakening by initiating playback. I will be shipping a unit out to them next week for modding.

nature boy

I think you'll be really pleased. Keep in mind the there are two 6922 tubes that come with the modifcation. You can adjust the sound to a degree depending on the tubes. Dan supplies tested JJ 6922 which sounds very good. After 50-100 hours you might want to try other 6992 tubes or other equivalent variants

NB
« Last Edit: 10 May 2023, 07:59 am by nature boy »

vert

He's a big proponent of the U1 mini + you dac of choice. He also recently picked up Innous and Volumio, while continuing to speak highly of Auralic who he used to carry. But when you ask him bluntly, Lumin is his go to.

I use the Modwright CXN as a DAC with a Lumin U2 mini (modded to run off linear power supply).

This way I can bypass the stream magic app, and get the performance of the U2 mini as a server.

They sound great together.

I removed the WiFi dongle to ensure it wasn’t broadcasting and affecting the sound.

My next upgrade is to replace the CXN fuse with a Beeswax M1.

vert

So I decided to replace the stock fuse with a 1.0 amp Synergistic Research Orange fuse since I have these in my other tube equipment. I wasn't expecting much improvement in SQ but Holy Crap, increased dimensionality and sonics.

I have the Beeswax M1.

And yes, it was a holy crap moment.

Throw the stock fuse in the trash.

I found the modwright with the stock fuse to have a grayish tone.

The M1 gives it tonal color while opening up the sound and sweetening it.

And gets rid of the coarseness.

I definitely think Modwright should have upgraded the stock fuse with their mod.

nature boy

You can really change the sound characteristics of Dan's modified unit both with the choice of 6922 tubes and aftermarket Audiophile fuses. Dan gives excellent advice along these lines. I found a great balance between tonality and an expansive soundstage with the SR orange fuse and mathed Wathen Cryotone 6922WC tubes. YRMV.

NB
« Last Edit: 15 May 2023, 09:37 am by nature boy »

vert

You can really change the sound characteristics of Dan's modified unit both with the choice of 6922 tubes and aftermarket Audiophile tubes.

I’ve seen several second hand units for sale, and the owner may have tube rolled, but never upgraded the fuse.

My assumption when I first heard the unit was that I was hearing the ceiling of it.

But the M1 fuse brought the performance to another stratosphere.

It’s unlocked the magic of the analog tube output stage.

I questioned my sanity spending this much on a fuse, but it’s undoubtedly made the unit much more musically engaging and listenable.

vert

There’s a great review of the stock CXN by darko audio.

CXN up samples everything to 24bit/384kHz.

He said the unit is rich, warm, with a soft top end.

Possibly ideal for people coming from vinyl.

Of course the Modwright unit (with an upgraded fuse) takes everything to another stratosphere.

I’ve noticed I’m able to listen to streaming music for longer and more comfortably with this unit (than with my other DACs).

vert

I saw a review of the stock CXN and they said Cambridge could have charged 3-4x more by using a fancier case and better power supply.

There's a lot of snobbery in high end audio.

This experience opened my eyes to the fact that it's not all about brand names with cache.

There are so many ways to get into high end audio streaming, and this modwright unit is a gem.

Especially now that the mod has been discontinued.

Dan chose a great unit to modify.

2bigears

:D why are the mods not done any longer ? To much of a bita ?  Great gear at a great price with a little touch-up is inviting !   :D