SET 120 control amplifier with bluesound node 2i

aquashash

SET 120 control amplifier with bluesound node 2i
« on: 4 Nov 2021, 05:08 am »
Happen to stumble on the SET 120 control amplifier and was thinking if I can build a simple 2.1 system with bluesound node 2i feeding directly into this amplifier.
The plan is to set the amplifier volume to a fixed level and then control the actual volume via the bluesound node either using the blueOS app or a remote.
The other advantage of using the bluesound is the HDMI eArc for TV.
I currently have the Philharmonic BMR's and a Rythmik subwoofer.

Would appreciate feedback if anyone has tried this or running this setup and how this would sound. My online search unfortunately did not yield any results.

Thanks.

jjss49

Re: SET 120 control amplifier with bluesound node 2i
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2021, 05:46 am »
depends how pure a sound you are seeking

the onboard dac of the node 2i is mediocre at best...  and i am being nice...  :|

otoh if you are using these as a feed to a system that is for av viewing, it is probably good enough

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2021, 06:06 am »
With your sub, you'll have to ask Frank to make yours with a pre-out and 3 line inputs instead of having four line ins on the Control Amp.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2021, 06:35 am »
As to the Rythmik sub it depends on which one you have as you could run speaker level from the Control SET amp but as to the DAC in the Bluesound for music it is bad and cheap.  For movies you may not notice or care as if simple is what you want then your plan could work. 

BadDNA

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2021, 12:15 pm »
If the Node's DAC is as cheesy as everyone is saying, you could add a relatively inexpensive Schiit Audio DAC that will walk all over it.

Stercom

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2021, 12:48 pm »
Yes, that would make a nice system. I used the Node 2i app to control the volume on a power amp for awhile. I don't see why you couldn't do that with the SET 120 control amp. Like you say, just set a level on the amp and use the Node's app to control the volume. As to the quality of the Node's DAC - don't worry about it - its a $400 very well made streamer which fits in well with the rest of your equipment.

maty

aquashash

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2021, 02:58 pm »
Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm currently running a basic and a temporary setup using raspberry pi 4 with allo DigiOne board feeding Loxjie A30 (class D). The sub used is Rythmik L12 (sealed).
It sounds good and my listening levels are moderate. Volume level of 30 on the Loxjie gets pretty loud when listening to music from Spotify or Quboz.
The bluesound has a sub woofer out and I believe one can set the low pass filter which also sets the high pass filter.

I want to limit myself to 2 boxes, so my only other option is to find a streamer w/ DAC (around $1k budget) with at least 2 optical inputs (TV and PS4) with an actual volume knob and a remote (which will be a plus) and ask Frank if pre-outs can be substituted for 1 input.

Or go some other route.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2021, 10:06 pm »
The Node 2i does a good job of streaming, it's digital output to an external DAC is quite good.  It also has good software and full MQA compatibility.

Where it is weak is in its DAC and analog outputs.  The DAC is a $3 Texas Instruments chip.  The analog output stage is also compromised of low-end components.

When using its internal DAC and analog outputs it is equivalent to a 14-bit device.  Yes, it can decode full 24/192 streams, but much of that resolution is lost in processing. 

This said, there are many people who are satisfied with how it sounds.  A fair number of people cannot discern a difference between 320K MP3 vs 16/44 CD quality.