Stay tuned for a review of new AVA mono blocks

I.Greyhound Fan

Stay tuned for a review of new AVA mono blocks
« on: 19 Sep 2020, 09:06 pm »
Frank asked me to review a pair of prototype mono block amps that are 225 wpc at 8 ohms that will be going into production soon.  They have only XLR inputs.

I just picked them up today and will place them in my system tonight.  I will post a full review in several days with a picture of the amps.

They have a small foot print and weigh quite a bit.

Larry

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Stay tuned for a review of new AVA mono blocks
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2020, 10:45 pm »
I just hooked up the amps and have been listening for about 20 minutes.  These amps sound fabulous.  My gear still needs to warm up.  I haven't turned on my system for a few weeks and my BAT preamp with 8 tubes needs about 30-40  minutes to sound its best.

I will post a full review in several days.   

Larry

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2020, 03:56 am »
Small footprint.....Are you permitted to post a photo of them?

Michael

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2020, 05:40 am »
If they are heavy they are not Class D.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2020, 02:52 pm »
I will post a photo of them when I write the review.  I did extensive listening last night and could write a review today but I want to listen to them some more with different genre's of music and a different music player.  I am currently using Bug Head but want to try Audirvana which has a thinner sound but more air and transparency where the versions of Bug Head that I have present with a lush and deep sound.  I also want to try them in a different system.

The dimensions are approx. 10.5" deep by 8.75" wide. 

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2020, 03:27 pm »
No, not Class D.  Class AB although voltage gain section does run Class A. Amps have fully regulated power supplies, separate for each section.

Frank

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2020, 03:48 pm »
Are these going to replace the SET600's or the DVA850's?

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:15 pm »
No. The new DVA M225 mono amps are 225 watts each and will cost about $1699 each.  They are less powerful then the bigger solid state and hybrid tube versions which remain available of course.

RonN5

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2020, 08:03 pm »
Frank

Was you goal for the new amp... same sound as it’s bigger solid state cousin ( but less power).. or have you tweaked your design for different Sonics for the new amp...

Greyhound... looking forward to your review.

avahifi

Re: Stay tuned for a review of new AVA mono amps
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2020, 06:01 pm »
The goal is to at least equal the same sound as our much higher power mono amps and still retain the sonic advantage of true differential performance.  We managed to accomplish this in a compact sized and lower cost package too. 225W/ch and nearly double that into 4 ohms.  More then enough power for most people.  Available later this fall.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2020, 01:39 am »
Gratuitous post to follow the thread and new product.

Thank you for the heads up, I.Greyhound Fan.

trebejo

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2020, 11:11 pm »
Oh, why does reading this thread make me feel like I'm going to have a baby...

Frank, I don't mean to sidetrack you on this beautiful moment, but how is that RCA <--> XLR option coming along for one of your beautiful solid state preamps? Maybe a phase inverter helps?!

I'm asking for a friend.

BruceSB

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2020, 10:53 am »
Must admit that I had the same thought!!!
Power amps with only XLR inputs and no current pre amp with XLR outputs surely must mean that a new pre amp is in the pipeline!
Only a question of time.
My guess it will be some time (relatively shortly) after these new power amps have come out and been well received!
Looking forward to these new mono block power amps.
Love to see a picture, and a review, and some more details.
Bruce

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2020, 02:51 pm »
We actually do have a new RCA in to balanced XLR out circuit designed and in use here. It works great.  Both plus and minus signals are active and identical so there are no output impedance differences.

We could fit it into our Vision Q phono preamp size box, but it would take a chassis redesign. Cost around $400 - $500. Don't know if there will be enough demand to go ahead and invest in the tooling cost.

Your advice appreciated.

Frank

RonN5

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2020, 03:17 pm »
Maybe not the best solution... but what about a Neutrik RCA to XLR adapter such as this one...

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/na2mpmf

Parts Express sells them for $9 each.

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-na2mpmf-3-pin-xlr-male-to-rca-phono-jack-adapter--092-2406

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2020, 04:10 pm »
Those low cost adaptors only output one side of the balanced circuit as they have no way of splitting the single ended signal into two opposite polarity balanced signals.  It takes an active circuit or transformer to do this.

Frank

RonN5

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2020, 04:21 pm »
No doubt that a balanced signal fed to the amplifier is the ideal...but for those that currently only have RCA output....

Since the Neutrik adapter results in half the circuit output being fed...does that mean that the all of the signal information is fed but with half the voltage .. or is there also a loss of musical information as well?

avahifi

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2020, 05:02 pm »
Since you would be feeding only one phase of the two internal identical gain stages, output voltage would be cut in half and thus power to one-quarter of normal.

BruceSB

« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep 2020, 05:47 am »
Just wondering about the ability to drive electrostats, its low impedance capability, and if it has a high current delivery.
I assume they are all good and that heavy weight would be coming from a big transformer.
Just wondering.
Bruce

avahifi

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2020, 02:55 pm »
No problem for a pair of AVA M225 mono amps driving Maggies. Plenty of power and current. And, of course exquisite sound.

No issue driving electrostatic speakers either.  I have used it with recent Janszen electrostats and combination sounds fine

We sent our prototype active single ended RCA in to balanced XLR out converter box home with GreyhoundFan a couple of days ago so he can try the M225 amps in his son's system which does not have balanced outputs on the preamp.  So we will probably get feedback on this device too.

Frank

« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2020, 07:09 pm by avahifi »