Bryston SP4

Alphonse

Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #500 on: 10 Dec 2021, 09:39 pm »
Rod, your comments about up firing speakers got me curious so I called some local dealers and none had demo setups with up firing speakers. Of two dealers that I have purchased from and appreciate their opinions, one said that up firing speakers can add something to the emersion effects but are nothing like ceiling mounted speakers, the other one just came right out and said do not waste your money on up firing speakers. Having said that I do have a true dolby atmos theater near me and plan on going to check it out once the new Matrix movie gets released later this month.  :popcorn:  Al

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #501 on: 20 Jan 2022, 05:57 pm »
So with clearly no interest from Storm in pulling Bryston forward and at some point the inevitable is going to happen, they will no longer support the MK1 platform, do you foresee the discontinuation of the SP4 in the near or not to distant future?

Have you given any thought of partnering with Trinnov? JBL Synthesis has been one of their partners for years now and I believe Trinnov sees that the JBL units receive the latest updates and also Trinnov allows JBL to run their own proprietary EQ software so like you had been hoping to do with the SP4 eventually and add in your own DAC section Trinnov may be a much better fit for Bryston as your player in the high-end home theater market who allow you to make your own tweaks to the unit.

I currently own both an SP3 and a Trinnov Altitude 16. My listening space is my living room. Aerial 7T's up front with a 7C center, and two in-ceiling speakers for surround. My source is a Kaleidescape for video. For music I use Roon. With the SP3, I used a Bryston BDP2/BDA2 for music. With the Trinnov, Roon is built-in.

In my experience, if you do not have a treated listening space, the Trinnov is a clear winner for movies. I find the difference to be clearly noticible and impactful. Speach is clearer, sound effects are more distinct and better located, etc.

For music, it isn't as easy. The Trinnov again does a better job of making instruments distinct. I heard things clearer than before. However, there was a loss of empty space between instruments, if that makes sense? As someone else clearly explained to me, the Bryston is "more musical".

From an ease of use point of view, the Trinnov (as the far newer product) is infinitely easier to use. It's like old stick shift transmissions vs modern paddle shift automatics.

For me, the Holy Grail would be a Bryston designed SP5 that was an update of the SP3. New DACs, Bryston's amazing analog section and sound, and some form of room correction that can be disabled per input, and ideally customized per input. As James has said, maybe bass only correction, etc.

Unfortunately, we watched the SP4 lagnuish. Bryston never customized the SP4 at all, to the best of my knowledge. And it seems unlikely they will proceed down that route. As someone who can only have one system, I'll need to make that choice between music and movies, which makes me sad. I remember when I discovered the SP3 and was new to Bryston. I thought I had surely found the Grail. And at the time, I had!

It appears there was only ever to be one Grail. Choose wisely (which will be different for each of us, depending on preferences, room configuration, equipment, and type of use).

- Garrett

gbaby

« Reply #502 on: 21 Jan 2022, 02:13 am »
I currently own both an SP3 and a Trinnov Altitude 16. My listening space is my living room. Aerial 7T's up front with a 7C center, and two in-ceiling speakers for surround. My source is a Kaleidescape for video. For music I use Roon. With the SP3, I used a Bryston BDP2/BDA2 for music. With the Trinnov, Roon is built-in.

In my experience, if you do not have a treated listening space, the Trinnov is a clear winner for movies. I find the difference to be clearly noticible and impactful. Speach is clearer, sound effects are more distinct and better located, etc.

For music, it isn't as easy. The Trinnov again does a better job of making instruments distinct. I heard things clearer than before. However, there was a loss of empty space between instruments, if that makes sense? As someone else clearly explained to me, the Bryston is "more musical".

From an ease of use point of view, the Trinnov (as the far newer product) is infinitely easier to use. It's like old stick shift transmissions vs modern paddle shift automatics.

For me, the Holy Grail would be a Bryston designed SP5 that was an update of the SP3. New DACs, Bryston's amazing analog section and sound, and some form of room correction that can be disabled per input, and ideally customized per input. As James has said, maybe bass only correction, etc.

Unfortunately, we watched the SP4 lagnuish. Bryston never customized the SP4 at all, to the best of my knowledge. And it seems unlikely they will proceed down that route. As someone who can only have one system, I'll need to make that choice between music and movies, which makes me sad. I remember when I discovered the SP3 and was new to Bryston. I thought I had surely found the Grail. And at the time, I had!

It appears there was only ever to be one Grail. Choose wisely (which will be different for each of us, depending on preferences, room configuration, equipment, and type of use).

- Garrett

Just lets you know Jame Tanner was right about Room Correction.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #503 on: 21 Jan 2022, 08:08 am »
For music, yes. But I'd take the improvements for movies ANY day over none.

Rod_S

« Reply #504 on: 27 Jan 2022, 01:46 am »
Hi James, anything new to report or anything in the works to be able to continue on with this product? Any possible replacement in the works which will be properly supported going forward via consistent and frequent firmware updates especially if once again partnering with another manufacturer?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #505 on: 27 Jan 2022, 01:55 am »
Hi James, anything new to report or anything in the works to be able to continue on with this product? Any possible replacement in the works which will be properly supported going forward via consistent and frequent firmware updates especially if once again partnering with another manufacturer?

Thanks

Hi Rod,

It is really up in the air as the parts shortages are affecting any updates so I am not sure what the future holds for the SP4.

james

Testsystems

« Reply #506 on: 7 Feb 2022, 04:40 pm »
Hi James,

My two cents worth.  With the introduction of Spacial music ( Dolby Atmos) I replaced my SP2, which I still have with a new Anthem AVM70 ( $4500 cdn).  The addition of height channels was appreciated but the sound is disappointing compared to the dynamics of the SP2.  The SP4 is out of my price range.  But I would love to see an SP5 along the lines of the SP3 just updated for newer codecs.   For those  with smaller rooms / low ceilings I still think you can’t beat the SP2 or SP3 for sound quality. 

Cheers
Drew

Rod_S

« Reply #507 on: 8 Feb 2022, 05:37 pm »
Hi James,

My two cents worth.  With the introduction of Spacial music ( Dolby Atmos) I replaced my SP2, which I still have with a new Anthem AVM70 ( $4500 cdn).  The addition of height channels was appreciated but the sound is disappointing compared to the dynamics of the SP2.  The SP4 is out of my price range.  But I would love to see an SP5 along the lines of the SP3 just updated for newer codecs.   For those  with smaller rooms / low ceilings I still think you can’t beat the SP2 or SP3 for sound quality. 

Cheers
Drew

Had you considered waiting for the Anthem AVM90 with the upgraded DACs and circuitry? Sound wise it might be more what you expected in comparison for the old SP2. Not sure about the DACs in the AVM70, isn't the 70 just a MRX1140 without the amps?? but the DACs in the AVM90 would be superior to those in the SP2 and most likely the SP3 at this point given the SP3's age now.

Testsystems

« Reply #508 on: 8 Feb 2022, 06:03 pm »
Hi Rod,

Yes I am sure the AVM90 will be an improvement, but in November it was not available. At the time Technical information from Anthem on its availability and design improvements was very limited.  Based on looking at the website just now is still says available winter 2022.  Only time will tell.  The intension with the post was to show that the SP2 & SP3 are still excellent audiophile components worthy of serious consideration and point a direction for a future "TBD" SP5.   

Cheers Drew

Rod_S

« Reply #509 on: 9 Feb 2022, 02:46 pm »
Yeah the AVM90 has had a long hard road to release, originally supposed to have AKM AK4499EQ DACs apparently but with the AKM factory burning down in Japan resulting in a worldwide chip shortage they had to pivot to ESS SABRE ES9038Pro, arguably a better DAC. The DACs in the AVM70's had to be switched as well. But as you mention specific details have been few and far between and release windows keep shifting. At some point specs are going to have to get released so potential customers can see why the unit costs twice the price of the AVM70 while only offering 2 additional sub outs and seemingly nothing more besides the known DAC upgrade. Well apparently it's supposed to ship with the new HDMI 2.1 board while the board will remain an optional upgrade for the AVM70??? if so I guess that would also account for some of the price difference. In my opinion Anthem should have licensed Auro3D for the AVM90 plus added 1, if not 2 AES/EBU inputs plus one set, if not 2 sets of balanced audio inputs plus a dedicated USB audio input. Things like that would more easily set it apart from the AVM70 in the eyes of consumers.

gbaby

« Reply #510 on: 9 Feb 2022, 03:06 pm »
The first time I heard ATMOS was in a high end shop featuring the Anthem AVM70. With me owning the SP3, I thought the sound was steely, fatiguing and gimmicky. It sounded very Japanese like the older processors I've owned. The Anthem AVM 90 is a feature rich processor featuring a phono input, room correction, blue tooth, and the like. You should not expect it to perform on the level of the Bryston SP3 or 4. You cannot expect the Anthem to have balanced inputs or Bryston's proprietary analog section. You get what you pay for most times.

Rod_S

« Reply #511 on: 9 Feb 2022, 03:49 pm »
The AVM90 is not in the same league as the Storm ISP MK series (Bryston SP4) and as such would never have the capabilities of that platform, regarding to speaker layouts particularly.

Concerning the DAC, the AVM90 DAC should be a better performer than the DAC in the SP3 given the SP3's age, last I seen discussion that DAC was the Crystal CS4398 I believe however it may have been updated since then. That was discussed way back when the BDA-2 was around and people were asking for comparisons and at the time the BDA-2 had the AK4399 I believe. It's entirely possible the current SP3's have moved to a more modern DAC though. Heck if the SP3's now have the same DAC as say the BDA-3 then major kudos to Bryston.

The main analog section with the exception of the DAC is a moot point in a comparison to the AVM90 (or most SSPs for that matter) as most people run a digital input into their SSP's and the signal remains in the digital domain until the output where it's then the DACs that come into play. If the SP3 DACs have been updated over the years then I suspect the DACs in the SP3 may actually be of a higher quality than the SP4 but not as good as that being used in the AVM90. I say that because it's my understanding that the uber high end units like the Storm MK series and Trinnov Altitude series are not currently running the highest end DACs, apparently an annoyance to some owners :) and I can understand that given the price of those units.

Now on the other hand for those running analog into their SSPs and don't do things like matrixing a stereo signal into a 7.1 output via Dolby PLIIx, dts Neo, etc. or are sending an analog 5.1/7.1 signal in and running in bypass then the Bryston SP3 (not the SP4) may very well have the advantage over most SSPs as that was a primary focus of it's design. Most modern SSP's are focused on an all digital signal path until the output with some units i.e. the Storm and Trinnov units even offering digital outs for users that have systems that can accommodate that.

Rod_S

« Reply #512 on: 9 Feb 2022, 04:37 pm »
Forgot to mention for reference, I believe the DACs in the BDA-3 are the AKM 4490EQ

gbaby

« Reply #513 on: 9 Feb 2022, 04:47 pm »
I don't know Rod. You seem to think the D/A converter is the most important part of the SP-3 design. I don't. Remember, that the SP3 in particular was designed to be used as a "hub" for an audio system. One can add a phono pre-amp as well as a new D/A converter by adding the BDA-3 to the SP3 which is what I have done. As a matter of fact, the SP3 D/A converters was designed around surround performance, not 2 channel. With no room correction or gimmicks, I see the SP-3 as a purist pre-amp processor. I have even added the BDP-3 digital player and I use both the AES outputs as well as the BNC.

Rod_S

« Reply #514 on: 9 Feb 2022, 05:14 pm »
For sure, DAC alone is not the sole source of audio fidelity in a unit, everything contributes to it. Your usage of an outboard DAC doesn't really help to spread the gospel of how good the SP3 is :) but I understand what you are saying about how good the SP3 is. Outboard DACs like the BDA-3 can be used in conjunction with any SSP however the ability to connect the BDA-3 to a SP-3 is nothing unique or proprietary.

gbaby

« Reply #515 on: 9 Feb 2022, 07:43 pm »
Outboard DACs like the BDA-3 can be used in conjunction with any SSP however the ability to connect the BDA-3 to a SP-3 is nothing unique or proprietary.

The synergy between the SP-3, the BDA-3 and the BDP-3 is simply phenomenal. I can even play my own DSD files through the BDA-3 using the BDP-3. I use the SP-3 mostly as a switching device and for movies. Again, I enjoy the synergy between them.

PascalP

• Bryston SP4
« Reply #516 on: 11 Feb 2022, 11:04 am »
Hi all, new member to this forum and someone on the AVS forum recommended me to check here for some questions I have with my SP4 :)

So as a short introduction I have been owning the SP4 for 9 months or something now and I absolutely love it! Huge step up from my previous processor.
Paired it with some Parasound amps and MK sound speakers in a 7.4.2 dedicated room.

But I have some questions, I have forwarded them to my dealer, who asked the distributor, who asked Bryston which gave some answers, mailed them back but no reply yet so perhaps just try my luck here on the forums and I see James frequenting quite often as well in this thread so perhaps that might help as well :)

So basically I have 3 questions:
1. How about the monitoring license? It comes included by default in the Storm branded units and Bryston offers it with the remote measurement kit, which I'm not interested in honestly, just want the monitoring page to check internal temps, VU meters, etc.
2. Does Bryston also offer the HDMI board upgrades like Storm, or can I just drop in a Storm HDMI board like the 7+2 eARC board and will it work with the Bryston Firmware? I expect in the following year many Storm users will upgrade to the announced HDMI 2.1 board so perhaps some of the current 7+2 eARC boards will be available on the 2nd hand market?
3. Will Bryston get the 4.2 FW as well with stuff like StormXT, or will the current 4.1r1 be the last?

Thanks for your answers on this  8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #517 on: 11 Feb 2022, 11:49 am »
HI Pascal - please email Adam - atanner@bryston.com

james

PascalP

• Bryston SP4
« Reply #518 on: 11 Feb 2022, 12:38 pm »
Cheers James, will do!
Love it when a manufacturer is accessible for end customers like this  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #519 on: 13 Feb 2022, 04:01 pm »
Somewhere in Florida - I know not where ?