speaker and amp isolation

mitcheft

speaker and amp isolation
« on: 6 Sep 2014, 03:00 am »
after much indecision I have finally decided to start the isolation process with my speakers and amp. My speakers are Thiel 3.6s. Currently I have replace the standard spikes with Black Diamond Racing cones. After looking over your site I'm thinking of going back to the spikes and putting your stainless steel Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider under them. Or should I maybe just put them under the existing BDR cones? My amp is a McIntosh MC300 and for it I was thinking about your Iso-Cup w/SuperSonic Hardball. Currently I am just using it's stock feet but have it sitting on a maple slab. Should I use the maple block in conjunction with your Iso-Cup Hardball or ditch it?

I am attaching a pic so you can see what I am working with. I am open to any other ideas or thoughts you may have.

Thanks,

Tim

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: speaker and amp isolation
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2014, 01:26 pm »
Hi, Tim. Though BDR cones have rounded tips, they do very well with Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders. Thiel speakers, which often tend to be a bit on the harsh side, do very well with Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders also. You never know until you audition in your own environment, but I would bet that BDR cones/Gliders would be the best combination.

For the amp, four Iso-Cups w/SuperSonic Hardballs under the amp should do very well either on the slab or on the bare floor. Four or five 1.25" grungebuster Dots (or "Thin" Fat Dots) under the slab would be beneficial. I don't see any reason to not use the maple slab; it looks nice and has potential to have some sonic benefit depending on the vibrational environment.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab