CD Hum

Deafbykhorns

CD Hum
« on: 23 Jun 2013, 12:55 am »
Hi Herbie

I have a McIntosh MVP871 that has a mechanical hum that is transmitted thru my entertainment center
Weight is about 30 lbs
What would you recommend?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: CD Hum
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2013, 01:43 pm »
I use Sorbothane Hemisphere Bumpers under any unit that has a hard drive, CD player or large fan.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/optomechanics/optical-breadboard-components-laboratory-tables/laboratory-tables-breadboards/sorbothane-mounts/35264

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: CD Hum
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2013, 02:05 pm »
I recommend four TenderSoft Tenderfoot isolation feet under the player. A SuperSonic Stabilizer or two on top is additionally beneficial.

Tenderfoot
SuperSonic Stabilizer

Sorbothane hemispheres are okay with low-fi or mid-fi systems but kinda suck for hi-end audio applications. For some macro-vibration benefit you'll usually sacrifice some sonic linearity with Sorbothane, which has reverberation and resonance issues that adversely affect the sonic results.

With Tenderfoot isolation feet, linearity will be improved as well as the micro-vibrational influences that cause a lot of the sonic glare and grunge, resulting in improved tonal textures and more life-like rendering of the music. Macro-vibrations like footfall and motor hum are also reduced or eliminated and you'll realize more of the inherent potential of the player.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab