Another DIY speaker project

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Another DIY speaker project
« on: 19 Feb 2020, 02:16 am »
Since October of last year I've been working on my biggest-ever speaker project, and in the coming weeks I will be posting some photos, as the project nears completion.

Several of my Carver-Fest buddies have been bending my ear for years to build them some speakers, but until now I've declined because my designs are tedious and exhausting builds, I'm not young anymore (66) and I still work full time.  For better or worse; I finally agreed to do it.

I'm about 85% through building four (4) pairs of a hybrid design with a 12" woofer in an open baffle (modified H-baffle). The frames are red oak and ESL panels use symmetrically segmented wire stators supported on an oak lattice.  The video below shows a similar speaker that I built in 2018, and also shows me building one of the wire stators for the new speaker project.

More to come, but for now; enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/814iWnmz6_4

Donald

Re: Another DIY speaker project
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2020, 02:25 am »
I am so lucky to be one of those Carverfest buddies. This is the real deal. Every time Charlie brought his Stats to Carverfest, it was the best sounding imho as well as others that heard it.
Thank you Charlie. May the force be with you. :D

Since October of last year I've been working on my biggest-ever speaker project, and in the coming weeks I will be posting some photos, as the project nears completion.

Several of my Carver-Fest buddies have been bending my ear for years to build them some speakers, but until now I've declined because my designs are tedious and exhausting builds, I'm not young anymore (66) and I still work full time.  For better or worse; I finally agreed to do it.

I'm about 85% through building four (4) pairs of a hybrid design with a 12" woofer in an open baffle (modified H-baffle). The frames are red oak and ESL panels use symmetrically segmented wire stators supported on an oak lattice.  The video below shows a similar speaker that I built in 2018, and also shows me building one of the wire stators for the new speaker project.

More to come, but for now; enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/814iWnmz6_4

Jazzman53

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2020, 02:54 am »
Surprised here, Donald... I didn't even know you were on this forum!

Donald

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2020, 01:06 pm »
One of my favorite forums. Wealth of knowledge is exchanged on this forum. Don’t post much, but read a lot.

Jazzman53

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2020, 04:53 pm »
More build pics:

Below:  Lattice support details for (16) stators

Below: Speaker frame glue-up

Below: Staining & satin clear coating the frames

Below: Amplifier/panel interface (bias power supply & step up transformers)

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2020, 05:00 pm »
I will be the first to say " I WANT TO BE THERE" when all of the finished speakers are playing at ONCE :flame:

I am very flexible for travel times.

Alan

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2020, 05:24 pm »
Yeehaw! This is so freakin' cool.

The woodworking is as interesting as the speaker itself...at least to me.

I believe you about the patience and commitment it takes. Once started, it kinda takes on a life if its own, I'll bet.

Jazzman53

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:23 pm »
Yeehaw! This is so freakin' cool.

The woodworking is as interesting as the speaker itself...at least to me.

I believe you about the patience and commitment it takes. Once started, it kinda takes on a life if its own, I'll bet.

It also includes a suicidal phase where you wish you had never started it. 

Jazzman53

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:31 pm »
More pics:

Stator lattices temporarily assembled for spray stain & clear coat:

Stator wires being stretched to plastic deformation to render them straight:

Stator support lattice assembled over the wires, in the stretching jig:

Jazzman53

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2020, 11:23 am »
I will be the first to say " I WANT TO BE THERE" when all of the finished speakers are playing at ONCE :flame:

I am very flexible for travel times.

Alan

PM me when you're ready to visit and I'll send you my address.  BTW; the speakers are bi-amp'd and I'm running short on amps & crossovers so please bring six amps and three DSP crossovers with you. 

Jazzman53

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2020, 06:25 pm »
One of 16 stators:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2020, 07:05 pm »
Wow. How are you bending the stator wire so precisely?

Rocket Ronny

Jazzman53

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2020, 09:10 pm »
Wow. How are you bending the stator wire so precisely?

Rocket Ronny

The bends in the wire loops result from the wires being stretched around the pins in the stretching jig.  The wires were strung up into my jig and stretched to 1% elongation to render them perfectly straight; as shown in this video: https://youtu.be/814iWnmz6_4

I'll be posting another video soon showing the remaining steps of assembling the electrostatic panels.
Stay tuned!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2020, 11:48 pm »
PM me when you're ready to visit and I'll send you my address.  BTW; the speakers are bi-amp'd and I'm running short on amps & crossovers so please bring six amps and three DSP crossovers with you.
I've been compiling a list of Pawn shops and used audio stores between Oregon and Texas.  I took a break and was watching your video on stretching and......why did I think you lived in Texas.  That drawl/TWANG SOUNDS LIKE GEORGIA :duh: :duh: :duh:

If I could just get the wife to cross the Mississippi I would think this a great spring time drive.  And considering I have made a few three day road trips to here speakers already.

It aint over yet yuall...............

Alan

Jazzman53

« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2020, 12:24 am »
I've been compiling a list of Pawn shops and used audio stores between Oregon and Texas.  I took a break and was watching your video on stretching and......why did I think you lived in Texas.  That drawl/TWANG SOUNDS LIKE GEORGIA :duh: :duh: :duh:

If I could just get the wife to cross the Mississippi I would think this a great spring time drive.  And considering I have made a few three day road trips to here speakers already.

It aint over yet yuall...............

Alan

Yup, Texans have a drawl too but us Georgia boys can squeeze 4 syllables from a 3 letter word :-)

Alan, I would love to have you visit and hear my speakers.  In fact; you have a standing invitation.

Charlie

Jazzman53

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2020, 01:15 am »
Update  Tuesday March 3:

All (8) ESL panels, power supplies & speaker frames are completed.
Now assembling the (16) segmentation resistor networks.
Still have to buy woofers and make the grills. 

Here's another video; showing the diaphragms being installed and the panels assembled:

https://youtu.be/ECM3gfrJPxQ 

Craig B

« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:55 pm »
As an intermediate woodworker of smaller projects, I'd love to know how you cut the fingerjoints on the vertical frame pieces. I've only ever seen fingerjoint or dovetail cuts done when the workpiece is vertical, either business end up (via hand saw or router jig) or down (via router table or table saw), but those pieces appear way too long for those methods.

Jazzman53

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2020, 01:27 pm »
As an intermediate woodworker of smaller projects, I'd love to know how you cut the fingerjoints on the vertical frame pieces. I've only ever seen fingerjoint or dovetail cuts done when the workpiece is vertical, either business end up (via hand saw or router jig) or down (via router table or table saw), but those pieces appear way too long for those methods.

I cut those finger joints on my table saw, with the frame rails upright, using a simple jig cobbled together from scrap wood.  But I did have to relocate the saw so that the frame rails would clear the ceiling rafters in my garage.  This project (eight speakers) has been a huge amount of labor.

Craig B

« Reply #18 on: 4 Mar 2020, 01:40 pm »
This project (eight speakers) has been a huge amount of labor.

I'll bet! Wow. Good work.

marc513

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2020, 05:06 pm »
WOW AMAZING you sir are truly  a professional just beautiful work. They look amazing and I bet the sound is just heavenly
I have owned 3 different Acoustats , model 3 ,2+2 and now 1+1 that need some work .
I have always had a love of electrostatics but now own speakers I built ( cone and ribbon drivers ) with plans from North creek music systems the manifest . I know the hard work and joy you get from building something for yourself.
Your build is way beyond my skill level but really enjoy your videos of the build thanks for posting.

Marc