New Here-Greetings from STL

jpipes

New Here-Greetings from STL
« on: 5 Jun 2020, 06:36 pm »
Greetings-first time posting here on AudioCirlcle. I'm in St. Louis, MO area. I'm a broadcast professional, so have worked with professional audio my entire career, but only recently began the journey of high end audio for home enjoyment. Until a few years ago our home entertainment gear was pretty standard big box store gear, maybe a bit higher than some on the video display side of things, but pretty pedestrian regarding audio. I'm here to learn. I look forward to it. All the best

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Here-Greetings from STL
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2020, 10:53 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2020, 10:54 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle from Wright City, MO

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2020, 11:08 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jpipes   :thumb:  You'll want to check in with the GAS folks here  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=70.0  , good group.  8)

dflee

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2020, 01:36 am »
Oh what a group you have around you.
Welcome, search and be amazed.

Don

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2020, 02:28 am »
Welcome to AC!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2020, 11:24 am »
Welcome!

In the 70's volunteered as a DJ at a very small college radio station.  Hi-fidelity was the last thing on their minds: monophonic; monster turntables/record grinders; public service spots on 8-tracks. 

For home enjoyment, things are a bit different.  One of the big factors is the room.  Generally speaking bigger the better, but proper shape is also important (avoid cubes).  Domestic bliss is another consideration (good setup, effective insulation, possible need for room treatment).  Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition as the consummate audiophile primer to learn how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  In it you'll learn of the huge bass peaks/dips inherent to residentially sized rooms and how to best deal with them (use of multiple subwoofers), although many try to shortcut it all via use of room correction software. 

Another factor is picking out the type of speaker: monopole; dipole (including open baffle); bipole; omnipole; and vertical array.  What type of presentation do you prefer?  Then there are the type of drivers and the materials used in their manufacture.  Advanced design like controlled directivity and passive versus active should also be considered.  Shopping for gear in the age of the internet and loss of so many bricks and mortar stores is a daunting task.  Even before CoVid-19 audio shows were primarily good only to veto gear/companies that don't strike your fancy (because of show conditions of noise, crowds, and small rooms to name a few). 

Then there are the classic choices between solid state and tube amplification as well as media (vinyl, CD, digital downloads/streaming).  Solid state and digital streaming are the easy/painless choices and would fit into the video side.  Speaking of which video tends towards special effects and initially impressive dynamics/high volume while home audio leans into revealing the soul of the instruments/voices. 

jpipes

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2020, 08:01 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I look forward to connecting.