BDA-3 DAC

Phil A

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #160 on: 12 Jan 2016, 02:27 pm »
Hi

I have not used jriver with a MAC just Windows  and and my BDP so will have to look into that.

james
James - he got it working - called me the other day and spoke to him last week

Iuliucra

« Reply #161 on: 12 Jan 2016, 02:33 pm »
I tried using the setting in the manual however it didn't work. What I found works is setting JRiver bitstream to DSD and output format to none. The BDA 3 switches correctly to DSD files when played and PCM files when they are played. Could this be correct?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #162 on: 12 Jan 2016, 03:26 pm »
I tried using the setting in the manual however it didn't work. What I found works is setting JRiver bitstream to DSD and output format to none. The BDA 3 switches correctly to DSD files when played and PCM files when they are played. Could this be correct?

Hi

Yes I am playing with it now and that seems to work fine.  They are the same settings for Windows as well.

james

scirica

« Reply #163 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:34 pm »
Hi

Yes I am playing with it now and that seems to work fine.  They are the same settings for Windows as well.

james

Only difference I see is that with JRiver on a PC you have to pick a driver, which in this case should be ASIO.  Works like a champ for me with both JRiver and RoonServer. 

Today I actually removed by Regen my Uptone Audio from the chain. I wanted to hear the BDA-3 "naked".  I may or may not be putting the Regen back on as it sounds great.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2016, 07:09 pm by scirica »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #164 on: 12 Jan 2016, 06:35 pm »
Only difference I see is that with JRiver on a PC you have to pick a driver, which in this case should be ASIO.  Works like a champ for me with both JRiver and RoonServer. 

Today I actually removed by Regen by Uptone Audio from the chain. I wanted to hear the BDA-3 "naked".  I may or may not be putting the Regen back on as it sounds great.

Hi Steve

What is a Regen?  - misspelling of a past President???

james

mav52

« Reply #165 on: 12 Jan 2016, 06:38 pm »
Hi Steve

What is a Regen?  - misspelling of a past President???

james

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

works great.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #166 on: 12 Jan 2016, 06:41 pm »
http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

works great.

Thanks - looks like a nice piece but would not be needed with the BDA3 USB input.

james

scirica

« Reply #167 on: 12 Jan 2016, 07:08 pm »
Thanks - looks like a nice piece but would not be needed with the BDA3 USB input.

james

James, based on what? The Regen is widely accepted as an upgrade for most, if not all DACs. I'd be interested in how you made such a quick assessment. Believe me, I'd love it to be proven true!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #168 on: 12 Jan 2016, 07:51 pm »
James, based on what? The Regen is widely accepted as an upgrade for most, if not all DACs. I'd be interested in how you made such a quick assessment. Believe me, I'd love it to be proven true!

From what I can see it is a device to optimize the USB interface and that is not at all required with the USB input on our BDA3.  Am I mistaken?

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #169 on: 12 Jan 2016, 08:48 pm »
hi, Bryston!

according  to the manual of the BDA-3 the toslink inputs can 'only' accept pcm audio up to 96/24 ?!?

al.

scirica

« Reply #170 on: 12 Jan 2016, 09:49 pm »
From what I can see it is a device to optimize the USB interface and that is not at all required with the USB input on our BDA3.  Am I mistaken?

james

James, you are not mistaken but you are certainly oversimplifying the benefits of the Regen. I'm not an engineer, but my understanding comes from this paragraph by John Swenson:

"PHY chips and processors at the input of every USB DAC (even those with galvanic isolation) are sensitive to "packet noise modulation" and ground-plane noise—caused by poor signal integrity and impedance mis-matching.  Every USB audio source (computer or streamer) and cable causes this, every DAC is affected by this."

So, even a great DAC can be at the mercy of what precedes it and the Regen can therefore relieve some of the correction processing that needs to be done on by the DAC.  Once again, don't shoot the messenger, but all I know is that I've heard the difference on my BDA-2 and on my PS Audio Directstream DAC.  As I mentioned earlier though, I've temporarily taken the Regen out of the BDA-3 because I really want to get to know this DAC, and so far is sounds wonderful!!

scirica

« Reply #171 on: 12 Jan 2016, 09:50 pm »
James, you are not mistaken but you are certainly oversimplifying the benefits of the Regen. I'm not an engineer, but my understanding comes from this paragraph by John Swenson:

"PHY chips and processors at the input of every USB DAC (even those with galvanic isolation) are sensitive to "packet noise modulation" and ground-plane noise—caused by poor signal integrity and impedance mis-matching.  Every USB audio source (computer or streamer) and cable causes this, every DAC is affected by this."

So, even a great DAC can be at the mercy of what precedes it and the Regen can therefore relieve some of the correction processing that needs to be done on by the DAC.  Once again, don't shoot the messenger, but all I know is that I've heard the difference on my BDA-2 and on my PS Audio Directstream DAC.  As I mentioned earlier though, I've temporarily taken the Regen out of the BDA-3 because I really want to get to know this DAC, and so far is sounds wonderful!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #172 on: 12 Jan 2016, 10:01 pm »
hi, Bryston!

according  to the manual of the BDA-3 the toslink inputs can 'only' accept pcm audio up to 96/24 ?!?

al.

Correct - need to use USB or SPDIF or HDMI if you want higher.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #173 on: 12 Jan 2016, 10:09 pm »

Hi Steve

You have to believe your ears of course but the USB input on the BDA3 is state of the art and already has impedance matching and excellent grounding. 

I just prefer to have less in the signal path and some of these devices may work on poorly implemented circuitry but just seems redundant with quality USB receivers like we use.  If you remember the review that was done in Absolute Sound Magazine on the BDA2 the reviewer was surprised as he always preferred SPIDIF over USB but with the BDA2 he was convinced that proper implementation of USB was actually preferable.

james'

scirica

« Reply #174 on: 12 Jan 2016, 10:14 pm »
Hi Steve

You have to believe your ears of course but the USB input on the BDA3 is state of the art and already has impedance matching and excellent grounding. 

I just prefer to have less in the signal path and some of these devices may work on poorly implemented circuitry but just seems redundant with quality USB receivers like we use.  If you remember the review that was done in Absolute Sound Magazine on the BDA2 the reviewer was surprised as he always preferred SPIDIF over USB but with the BDA2 he was convinced that proper implementation of USB was actually preferable.

james'

Well I'm starting to be a believer, because with the REGEN out of the path it sounds damn good to me.  I might have a REGEN for sale very soon!  :thumb:

I think what he is saying though is that taking that load off the DAC may be beneficial.  Regardless, it's the music that matters!

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #175 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:14 am »
Anyone able to give some direct comparison comments between the BDA-2 and BDA-3?

bjski

« Reply #176 on: 13 Jan 2016, 05:01 pm »
I have both. It was noticeable improvement immediately. To me it was the next step up in the audio chain. I have not used it with DSD yet. The highs have less glare, while adding more subtleties to the highs and midrange.  The bass seems similar to the BDA-2. When I inserted the BDA-3 it was very shocking to me. James downplayed the BDA-3 so I did not expect such improvement. It's as if you get a new preamp,speakers or amp and you listen to your music collection all over again. I am hearing more information that I never heard before.

I am using the BDA-3 along with BDP-2 with the new sound card using AES. I'm sure everyone results will differ along with their opinions. Hope this helps.
I did keep my BDA-2 and BDP-1, just moved it to another system.
Cheers,
BJ

scirica

« Reply #177 on: 13 Jan 2016, 06:23 pm »
I have both. It was noticeable improvement immediately. To me it was the next step up in the audio chain. I have not used it with DSD yet. The highs have less glare, while adding more subtleties to the highs and midrange.  The bass seems similar to the BDA-2. When I inserted the BDA-3 it was very shocking to me. James downplayed the BDA-3 so I did not expect such improvement. It's as if you get a new preamp,speakers or amp and you listen to your music collection all over again. I am hearing more information that I never heard before.

I am using the BDA-3 along with BDP-2 with the new sound card using AES. I'm sure everyone results will differ along with their opinions. Hope this helps.
I did keep my BDA-2 and BDP-1, just moved it to another system.
Cheers,
BJ

Great to hear this. I sold my BDA-2 before receiving my BDA-3, so I can't do an A/B test.  I am VERY happy with the BDA-3 sonically and as the new Swiss Army Knife of DAC's!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #178 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:12 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDA-3 DAC

January 2016

CUSTOMER FEEDBACK:

Bryston BDA-3 DAC Serial # 000010 - Early Impressions

After spending many enjoyable hours listening to downloaded music (PCM and DSD) and ripped CD's I'm pleased to say the BDA-3 paired with my BDP-2 is, to my ears, a very significant advance in sound quality over my previously owned Bryston BDA-1 DAC also paired with my BDP-2. 

The year long wait after ordering the BDA-3 was well worthwhile as I hear significant improvements in all areas and no criticisms other than a clutter of HDMI inputs that I probably will never use.  I noticed a lower output level over the BDA-1 which simply meant having to use higher volume settings than in the past.  Hopefully, Bryston will come out with a more complete specification to include the BDA-3 output level as they did with the BDA-1.

The most important improvement for me is a more relaxed sound quality but certainly not at the expense of detail.  In fact, to use the much used cliché, I have been hearing detail on downloads and ripped CD's  that I had not previously noticed.  Despite all the extra detail I was surprised to find less sibilance on recordings such as Cowboy Junkies "The Trinity Session".  Bass was deep and forceful and the soundstage in my room was somewhat wider than the BDA-1 but the depth was much deeper which made symphony recordings very realistic.

There was plenty to evaluate on the BDA-3 like listening to DSD downloads for the first time and comparing the USB and AES/EBU inputs.  For me I could live with either the USB or the AES/EBU input but I did have a slight preference for the AES/EBU but I would not want to try and describe why!  It was great to have the opportunity to listen to DSD downloads but overall I did not feel there were repeatable improvements in sound quality over PCM 192/24 to justify the extra download time and storage space not to mention the extra cost.  Sometimes I actually thought I preferred PCM 96/24 over DSD on some Beethoven piano concertos and Mozart violin concertos where I could compare.  DSD sometimes seemed to have a slight edginess that was occasionally noticeable for PCM downloads on my BDA-1 but the new BDA-3 on PCM downloads never gave rise to any edginess whatsoever.

I've had some late nights listening to all the improvements the BDA-3 is making to playback of my music collection.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to listen to DSD and PCM downloads but for me I believe I will spend my money on PCM  downloads only and replay using the AES/EBU input on the BDA-3.

For anyone owning Bryston's BDA-1, or any other quality DAC, I think a listen to this latest BDA-3  DAC is a must.

It is amazing how much improvement has evolved since the BDA-1 was introduced by Bryston about 6 years ago.

Thanks
Roger

Yitshak

« Reply #179 on: 13 Jan 2016, 08:17 pm »
Great,

fine  comments on the BDA-3 Waited for those...
I also use the BDA-2 and Intent to move it to my other setup as soon as
My new BDA-3 will show up.

And I thought my BDA-2 performance in native is every bit like described in comments on BDA-3 above.
Looking forward to it.

Itshak