VPI Classic 3 + 3D Tonearm SRA Adjustment issue

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: VPI Classic 3 + 3D Tonearm SRA Adjustment issue
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2014, 09:31 pm »
"I don't know where you could buy such a spacer, you might have to make it."

The angle of the wedge spacer would only have to be 2 or 3°.  That's not much of an angle and it probably could be accommodated by the mounting screws without problem.   For each degree you angle the cart, you save 5.3mm (?) arm height.  It's much more efficient to angle the cart instead of at the end of 10.5" hypotenuse.  You need a precisely made wedge that fits between the cart mounting screws and is approximately the length of the cart.  If the cart hangs over the end of the headshell, subtract that amount from the length of the spacer.
neo

isaacrivera

« Reply #21 on: 2 Sep 2014, 07:38 pm »
Ok. It was good timing that VPI just started a support forum on their own website last week. I posted the issue there and they responded quickly. It turns out VPI's unipivot arms' female bearing socket height can be adjusted with a hex wrench. It adjusts quite a bit. I had to play with this some because if raised too much this way the arm's lift will not reach the tonearm anymore. However I was able to reach a good overall compromise position that did allow to set the SRA at my desired angle and lock the platform in place to the guiding post--and operate the lift. Thanks to all who helped.

Gzerro

« Reply #22 on: 2 Sep 2014, 09:05 pm »
Ok. It was good timing that VPI just started a support forum on their own website last week. I posted the issue there and they responded quickly. It turns out VPI's unipivot arms' female bearing socket height can be adjusted with a hex wrench. It adjusts quite a bit. I had to play with this some because if raised too much this way the arm's lift will not reach the tonearm anymore. However I was able to reach a good overall compromise position that did allow to set the SRA at my desired angle and lock the platform in place to the guiding post--and operate the lift. Thanks to all who helped.

Thank you for posting the follow up! I never knew that you could adjust that part.

Does the wrench go through the hole in the top of the tone-arm base? Is it the same size as all of the other hex screws, or is it different?

Always more to learn..

Tom

isaacrivera

« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2014, 03:09 pm »
Thank you for posting the follow up! I never knew that you could adjust that part.

Does the wrench go through the hole in the top of the tone-arm base? Is it the same size as all of the other hex screws, or is it different?

Always more to learn..

Tom

Yes Gzerro, the hex key goes through the top. I forget the size but I can find it out tonight and post it later. It is not the same as the little keys provided by VPI for the arm rest, etc. It is much larger. Again, you can't abuse it, because soon you will lower the female bearing socket too much and the arm lift won't reach the arm wand anymore. But there is a few precious millimeters that can make a difference in SRA adjustment while keeping the VTA tower and guiding post lockable.

Here is a link to the thread on the VPI forum:

http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37