IDA-8 gain?

dewar

IDA-8 gain?
« on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:17 am »
Hi, could anyone tell me how much gain this amp has?

I'm concerned about the 1x pre-outs having enough gain to do drive my sub amps. Unusually, my main speakers are 6db more efficient than my subs, so I believe the IDA-8 would need to have 6db less gain than the sub amp (30db) for there not to be issues?

Thanks
B

JackD

Re: IDA-8 gain?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:28 am »
Don't your sub amps have gain controls or are you using passive subs with outboard amps?

dewar

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:13 am »
The sub amps (Crown XTI 1002) does have gain controls, but with my current integrated amp I need to run the Crown amp 100% volume to match my main speakers. These speakers and passive subwoofer drivers are fairly similar in efficiency.

The new speakers and new sub I intend to buy will have a bigger (6db) discrepancy in sensitivity. If I were to use my current integrated with the subs would not be able to level match with the mains.

I need therefore for the pre-outs on the IDA to be of higher level relative to the speaker-outs than my current amp, if my understanding is correct?

Cheers

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2016, 04:25 pm »
The standard IDA-8 that we are shipping now has 2V max on the pre out but can be adjusted to 4V or 6V.
We have to charge $50 for the gain change by TDSS (i.e. Bob Smith).  It is a simple resistor change but the labor pay for opening up the case, etc.

dewar

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2016, 08:07 am »
Thanks Rusty, the dealer in New Zealand I've ordered from told me he will order me a high-gain one, though he didn't mention that it could be either 4 or 6v...hopefully 4.

Cheers
Bevan