Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

Wayner

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #480 on: 11 Sep 2009, 11:56 am »
I was in the Hutch cafe the other morning and this really drunk guy (homeless) came in and walked to the back and used the women's bathroom. When he came out, he took out his harmonica and played the boys in the back a little tune, with words, but I couldn't understand what he was singing. After he finished he came back up by us in the front and sat down. He then asked the waitress if she had a shot of whiskey to which she replied, the bar is down the block, so off he went. Hey, it was free and it was entertaining!

Wayner :)

toobluvr

« Reply #481 on: 13 Sep 2009, 02:11 am »
Today:  The Blue Vipers of Brooklyn, Long Beach Jazz Festival

:banana piano:

These guys are friggin great!  Like slippin back in time to authentic sounding early jazz, swing and Dixieland.  These guys have the sound nailed.  Smoooth like aged single malt.  Great harmonies.

Everyone loved 'em.....big smiles all around,  Great infectious fun.

http://thebluevipersofbrooklyn.com/Biography/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGXmSy5tBqU

Demarche

« Reply #482 on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:45 pm »
Porcupine Tree at the Roseland Theater  :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9dnpx1KSJw

Great show. They played 2 sets, for the 1st set they played new album "The Incidnet" in it's entirety. This approach can be a challenge, for the band and the audience. The album was only released the day before the show, so most people had not heard it. The band sounded terrific and the execution of the songs was great. The new album seems to draw heavily from PF - Animals, Dogs in particular. The audience responded well to the new stuff and to my ears it sounds like another very solid album from these guys.

The 2nd set was a mix of songs from previous albums, including a great version of 3 and Trains.

If you like prog/metal then I recommend you check out these guys out on this tour.

BobM

« Reply #483 on: 18 Sep 2009, 06:52 pm »
Porcupine Tree at the Roseland Theater  :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9dnpx1KSJw

Seeing them next Thursday here in NYC, with Topround and JoshK. Got the new album and getting the songs in my head before the show. So far my ultimate verdict is still out for this new one compared to some of their other stuff. I'll see how they play it live before I really decide.

Bob

Demarche

« Reply #484 on: 21 Sep 2009, 11:28 pm »
BobM, I hope you guys enjoy the PT show!

It appeared that the executiuon of the new stuff was very good, but like I said it was new and I hadn't heard it. I will say that the new album didn't grab me quite like some of his previous work, so I'd be interested in your take on the new album.

One of the more intersting tracks that they saved for teh 2nd set was "Bonnie the Cat". This one sounded very different and quite interesting.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #485 on: 24 Sep 2009, 08:52 pm »
Rodrigo Y Gabriela at the Fox theater in Oakland Ca. Saw them last night. They were great. JustAWESOME!!!

Cheers
                           Charlie

JoshK

« Reply #486 on: 25 Sep 2009, 03:39 pm »
topround, BobM, Mario and I saw Porcupine Tree at Terminal 5 (formerly Copa Cabana) last night.  :thumb: Its going to be a long day today.   :roll:

BobM

« Reply #487 on: 25 Sep 2009, 03:45 pm »
Great show ... but I must be getting old. I can't stay up till 2AM and then get up at 6AM and go to work (then do it all over again tonight) like I used to in my younger days.

At least I don't have to do advanced math all day, like Josh does. I would fall asleep for sure ... need ... more ... coffee :lol:

Jumpin

« Reply #488 on: 25 Sep 2009, 10:17 pm »
U2 Giants Stadium 9/23.  Really impressive.  Bono and the boys rocked the house all the way to the last row.

Norah Jones 9/24.  Private Album release show in NYC.  Beautiful voice, just not enamored with her writing & song choices. If she would only listen to me, I am sure she would go places!

K Shep

« Reply #489 on: 26 Sep 2009, 10:26 pm »
I attended the San Francisco Symphony last night at Davies Hall, Gustav Mahler.

Michael Tilson Thomas and the SFS present an evening of songs, chamber music, and symphonic selections spanning Mahler?s career.

Kirk

low.pfile

« Reply #490 on: 28 Sep 2009, 04:46 pm »
Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions on Saturday night....

Being a Mazzy Star and HS&WI fan, I was anxious to see Hope Sandoval at the Fillmore, San Francisco. But left disappointed.

While she has a great sound, the overall performance was lackluster. They didn't use any front stage lighting so the entire show was in sillhouette. And I mean NO front lighting--there were blue downlights at the back edge. The projected video occasionally was Some sound technical difficulties made this sub par as well. Ther performance would have been much better at the Great American Music hall.

She has a new album coming out this week, which I will pick up and enjoy in my home. Quite a few live shows have been disappointing maybe I am spoiled by my system? ;)

stlrman

« Reply #491 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:11 pm »
Two Free shows at Hartwood Acres in Pittsburgh Pa.
Son Volt    Awesome !! :thumb:
Rusted Root    I have seen them at least 10 times They are always stellar!! :drool:  I will be seeing them on New Years Eve . If you ever have a chance to see them , do so !!
Todd

Ruby Mae

« Reply #492 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:19 pm »
Two Free shows at Hartwood Acres in Pittsburgh Pa.
Son Volt    Awesome !! :thumb:
Rusted Root    I have seen them at least 10 times They are always stellar!! :drool:  I will be seeing them on New Years Eve . If you ever have a chance to see them , do so !!
Todd

Son Volt free??? Lucky you!  :thumb: I'm jealous!!!

toobluvr

« Reply #493 on: 1 Oct 2009, 02:07 pm »
A few years ago I saw Rusted Root at Mulcahy's Pub right here in Wantagh LI.   

I was kindof surprised to see them play this venue, which is basically a large sports bar / live music venue that usually showcases local cover bands.  My thought was that they had fallen upon hard times and had prematurely entered the oldies circuit.

RR are a fun jam band, polished and tight.

pjchappy

« Reply #494 on: 8 Oct 2009, 12:14 am »
Saw Wilco again last night in KC.

Details here: Wilco (The Concert)

GregC

« Reply #495 on: 8 Oct 2009, 01:02 am »
My wife and I saw the Twinkle Brothers at Moes Alley in Santa Cruz on 9/27/09 and we are going to see Dark Star Orchestra tomorrow night in Santa Cruz (where they will be doing an acoustic show).

roscoeiii

« Reply #496 on: 8 Oct 2009, 01:34 am »
Saw Grizzly Bear and Mono in separate shows last week. If you are anywhere that either is still touring, I'd highly recommend checking both out.

Beach House is opening for Grizzly Bear, and they are a band I would certainly pay to see headline. So  it's like getting two headliners for the price of admission. They play Boston 10/8.

Mono is an instrumental band from Japan, big on the slow build-up to a rocking cresendo. Nicely layered and built up stuff. Their opener Maserati was also a nice surprise. Didn't know them, but walked out the door with one of their CDs.

rodge827

« Reply #497 on: 8 Oct 2009, 02:17 am »
A few weeks a go we took a trip across the bay to see Tommy Emmanuel at the Surflight Theater in Beach Haven, NJ. 8) My wife went along just too appease me. At the end of the show the first words out of her mouth were " We ARE going to see him next year, right?" :o

Listening to Tommy is one thing, seeing his show is an entirely amazing experience. If he comes to you home town, do make the attempt to see him.

You WILL be entertained!  :thumb:

Rodge

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #498 on: 8 Oct 2009, 02:24 am »
My wife and I saw the Twinkle Brothers at Moes Alley in Santa Cruz on 9/27/09 and we are going to see Dark Star Orchestra tomorrow night in Santa Cruz (where they will be doing an acoustic show).

I'll be at the Dark Star show also.

kyyuan

« Reply #499 on: 8 Oct 2009, 03:55 am »
Dallas Symphony at the Meyerson Center -- Mahler No. 1