Austin Texas Audio Club?

apollophono

Austin Texas Audio Club?
« on: 12 Sep 2014, 03:14 am »
What no Austin Texas Audio Club?  Austin calls itself the "Live Music Capital Of the World"
I'm surprised and ashamed that we don't have one.  I'm hoping this will be the impetus
to start it.  I know there are enthusiastic audiophiles in this town. 

I would start it myself except I work nights from 6:00 PM to 2:30 AM and only Wednesday
and Thursdays off.  I also work overtime many days.  I hate it, but it pays the bills. 
I'm also not the tidiest person (understatement).  I would be willing to take some
equipment to listen to although I'm a cheap and cheerful guy. 

As you can see I'm not the tidiest.  I'm on quest to eliminate vibration to my turntable.
Items I've used: Silicone baking sheets( cut to size), Silicone earplugs for swimmers,
PVC feet, sandstone coasters, moon gel (gel window stickers also), Play Doh and other
assorted doo dads. 

I have a Apt Holman pre to my Dayton Audio DTA t-amp with Furez speaker cables
to JBL Studio 530 speakers. Turntable is Technics SL1200 MK5 with KAB sonic domes
for feet. 

None of the mods have been able to come close to my nirvana system of many years ago.
In a pier and beam house I attached a shelf on load bearing wall for my Rega Planar 2
TT with an AT 95e modified by the Linn dealer in town.  It was attached to Hafler DH 101
preamp and DH220 power amp. Speaker cables were AudioQuest ? and speakers were
Cerwin Vega HED speakers on Dalquist DQ10 Stands.  The Dalquists were in the shop.
What I heard I new I hit nirvana.  It sounded live and it could be played loud w/o distortion
and ear fatigue.  I could listen to it outside and as Thomas Turner from Stereo Times
describes Listen In Another Room and believe a band was playing. 

I've been living in nothing but cement slab houses and have not wanted to deal with my wife's
displeasure at seeing a turntable mounted on the wall.  I've suspected the secret to my
previous nirvana was the elimination of destructive vibration by mounting TT on load bearing
wall and just recently thinking the MDF in the Dalquist stands did wonders for the Cervin
Vega speakers.  I know it sounds crazy, but it did sound very realistic (not most detailed).
The soundstage developed to a believable stage.  What I enjoyed the most was the bass.
I was not able to distinguish the bass (pedal) drum thwacks and the plucks from the bass
guitar and hear all the notes.  It's amazing to me how much music there is at the lower
registers and I don't hear that in most systems. 

Time to end the story and hopefully someone will step up and start our own Austin Audio
Circle. 

FredT300B

Re: Austin Texas Audio Club?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2014, 10:42 pm »
There are audio clubs in Houston and San Antonio. I'm a member of the Houston club, and you are invited to any of our meetings. I'm hosting the next two monthly meetings at my house. On September 20th we're comparing identical speakers with different crossovers. The meeting  topic is "Sending the Woofs to the Woofer and the Tweets to the Tweeter, and Hoping it Sounds Something Like Music". On October 18th our guest presenter is John Busch of Manzanita Audio Solutions, who will demonstrate his open back speakers. http://manzanitaaudiosolutions.com/  My house in the Western Houston suburbs is only 2-1/2 hours from Austin.

I know you would be welcome at the San Antonio club's meetings too. Here's some information about both clubs:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/houstonaudio/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rivercityaudiosociety/info

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2014, 01:34 am »
Ive been in Austin for last 7 yrs, weve had several AC inspired audio meets/BBq's. But its been several yrs since anyone has organized and the chaps that did it before seem to have fallen away.  :scratch:

I believe we have a handful still on AC. ??

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2014, 02:12 am »
FredT300B is too modest.  I can testify that he and wife Linda are the warmest and most generous hosts you are likely to ever meet.  The Houston Audio Society is for real and I predict it's only gonna get better.  Besides the main group, smaller group members meet frequently.  My listening room is anyone's listening room at their leisure.  Well, almost.  A phone call in advance would be appreciated (832-973-1059).  And speaking of believable stages, I'm into that like white on rice.  Austin is a 3 hour drive for me and I'll travel for good sound and music and I am given to believe that there are some good music and audio heads in Austin. 

turbotr

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2015, 06:40 am »
Hello- I'm also in the Austin area (Buda). If there are any updates on an audio group of some sort I'm all ears :)

Thanks,
Turbo

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2015, 02:19 am »
not in the Austin area but if you want to get together and listen to some audio equipment.
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168958/north-texas-meet-3-for-2015#latest

FredT300B

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:30 am »
The idea of an Austin audio club comes up occasionally, usually within the context of "It would be great if we had one, but I'm too busy to make it happen". I've been active in the Houston club for several years, and I've watched the progress of the San Antonio club. These clubs are successful because a small number of people have been willing to do most of the planning and meeting implementation, including finding places to meet, planning interesting meeting topics, and lugging heavy and expensive equipment to the meetings. I'll be moving to Austin sometime next year and would be willing to help start a club, but not by myself. When I finally get there I'll post a request for help, and if two or three other reliable people will volunteer to share the work with me we'll start an Austin Audio Club.  :thumb:

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:11 pm »
Jim, Fred and Austin audiophiles.. I have the Von Schweikert VR55's in place (Featured on the cover of the Oct edition of TAS).  I've been a dealer for Albert while working a "real" job over the last couple of decades and traveling lots.  I've just recently retired and I'm devoting more time to music!  I'm heading to RMAF to scout new amplifier and playback source components.  Though the 55's are outside the reasonable budget for most, the Von Schweikert and Endeavor Audio Engineering (they are one with the news of the recent acquisition by VSA) line of speakers are within reach for many.  They convey the emotion of "live" and I've been a big fan.  Though I am not able to host a large club event, like my 2-seater sports car, the room is quite comfortable.  Btw, its a very simple set-up;  Karan Acoustics KAS-180, The Memory Player from Laufer Teknik, VSA Masterbuilt cables, an old Quantum surge protector. No preamp. All are housed in a simple custom made wood cabinet.  The multi-use room is untreated.  See the Greg Weaver review in The Absolute Sound on stands now for background. 

Jack
Houston