Symphony Orchestra Floor plan

John Casler

« on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:12 pm »
I just sent the following note to all my audio friends and clients.  I thought it might be of interest here (also possibly in the beginners circle)

To All my Clients and Friends,

While in listening to music, we often feel the goal is to reproduce what the event sounded like when it was recorded.  To this end, it is helpful to know just where "on stage", and or in the soundfield, the performers were originally.

With contemporary groups this might be impossible unless the liner notes show pictures of the stage positions, but with a symphony orchestra there is a general layout which is occasionally deviated from, but the general layout is always the same.

In setting up your system, it is best to know where the violins, french horns, bassoons, cellos and such are placed and attempt to recreate this "sonic hologram" in such a way as to reproduce the original event.

My RM40s are set up in this manner and the resulting soundstage presentation is an incredible experience.

The depth and width (and even height) are all there and I am transported to the original hall and sit "virtually" 5th row center.

To that end, I thought you might find this URL and its simple Symphony Orchestra Layout useful.

If you can, print this diagram out and have it with you during the listening session.  Look at the diagram and close your eyes and listen to see if your set up "does" put everything in the right spot on the soundstage. (if you wear glasses take them off since they skew audio sensation and actually are subject to airborne vibration and thus block that from the face and create tactile sensations that can interfere with perception)

Here is the URL for a basic Symphony Orchestra
http://isu.indstate.edu/gbechen/%20orchlayouts/orchlay.gif

Do be aware that each orchestra may change this slightly.  For example the tympanis and percussion may be more in the center than to the sides.  Soloists, (like pianists or violinists) may be located just to the left of the conductor but almost centered and so on.

Some recordings reproduce this layout with astonishing reality and some are horrible.  When you find the good ones, they quickly become your favorites.

These "good" recordings are very valuable in speaker set up and the idea would be to move your speakers the proper width and distance from the side walls to recreate the left to right soundstage, and forward and backward, to create the proper depth and 3-D effect.

Moving your seating position in relation to the speaker width, can also move you forward or backward in the hall

Hope you find this useful

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2003, 06:17 pm »
This is great, John!  Thank you very much!  I don't own VMPS speakers, but I assume this will still apply to my MM De Capo I's :wink:

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2003, 07:30 pm »
My pleasure.:D

Orchestral Soundstaging will work (of course :wink: ) with all types of speakers, but some better than others.

SWG255

Orchestral spread and instrument location
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2003, 08:16 pm »
The ability of the RM40 to portray the full width and breadth of the symphonic orchestra was one of the primary reasons why i purchased them last week.

However, care must be taken when considering the idealized orchestral layout and the reality of modern (and not so modern recordings). If a recording was made with simple microphone techniques in a real performing hall, one will indeed get a three-dimensional orchestral image spread out realistically in space before you when listening. Far too many classical recordings are not made with such techniques, and the orchestra is not spread in a life-like manner between the speakers.

Also, many famous conductors like Stakowski played with the basic orchestral seating arrangements for various reasons, not least of which was his feeling that the way he arranged the orchestra sounded better on the radio!

I find that the more live orchestral music one listens to, the more one is able to identify and make use of the best recordings in regard to the spread and location of the orchestra as reproduced in the home. This will show you that the perception of the orchestra's layout and scope varies widely with the seat one occupies in the hall, not to mention the acoustics of the hall itself.

When the recording is "right on", and reproduced on an accurate and emotionally-involving system, it is all the justification I need for this persuit.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2003, 12:44 am »
John,

Since you live in LA, have you had the opportunity to see an orchestra in Disney Hall?  I was watching the arts network here in NYC and saw the LA Symphony Orchestra playing in this amazing hall!  Well, it happened to be the Disney Hall, so I'm curious how the acoustics are there because it sure looks amazing on the inside.

Thanks,
Michael

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2003, 01:20 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
John,

Since you live in LA, have you had the opportunity to see an orchestra in Disney Hall?  I was watching the arts network here in NYC and saw the LA Symphony Orchestra playing in this amazing hall!  Well, it happened to be the Disney Hall, so I'm curious how the acoustics are there because it sure looks amazing on the inside.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

No I have not.  The hall is rather new and tickets seem to be difficult to get for the "good" performances.

Plus my schedule doesn't leave a lot of time for the Symphony.

I have to work harder on that. :mrgreen: