Trinaural with RM/X

Sedona Sky Sound

Trinaural with RM/X
« on: 30 Oct 2003, 10:03 am »
It took me a little longer than I thought, but I finally got around to doing a review of the Trinaural Processor mated with the RM/X as a center channel:

You can check out the complete (i.e., somewhat long) review here:
http://www.sedonaskysound.com/trinaural_review_update.htm

I was actually surprised at how different this RM/X+RM40 setup reacted to the Trinaural versus the original RM40+626R. The two biggest differences were:

1) The soundstage was beyond belief. Think of the largest soundstage (width and depth) you have ever heard and multiply by 10, that is roughly the effect of the Trinaural. On some pieces, it actually sounded as if the music/performers were directly beside (or maybe even slightly behind) me. On classical recordings, you go from being in the patron seats to being on the conductor's podium.  

2) As hard as  tried, I could not force myself to hear music coming from the left or right speakers on some CD/SACDs. The sound was originating from a point that was at least 4 feet in front of and maybe 6 feet to the outside of the speakers.  

The "audible illusion" created by the Trinaural should cause just about anyone to question their understanding of how sound waves, your ear, and your brain interact to produce an audio image in your head. This Trinaural "experience" has shown me two very important things:

1) Your ear/brain is continually "re-learning" how to hear when exposed to new things (could explain the concept of cable break-in?)

2) You will hear something the way your ear/brain interprets it even if you know that it is logically incorrect (i.e, hearing music come from an illogical point in space)    

That being said, the Trinaural is definitely a Revolutionary versus Evolutionary product. You absolutely WILL here a difference (finally an audio product that no-one can refer to as unscientific snake-oil  :roll: ).  
Whether you like the difference will likely be a matter of taste.  

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

Andrikos

Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2003, 08:47 pm »
Now I wonder....
How much better if the setup was made of 3 (THREE!) RM/X Elixirs rather than just one.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2003, 05:47 am »
Quote from: Andrikos
Now I wonder....
How much better if the setup was made of 3 (THREE!) RM/X Elixirs rather than just one.

Brian had 3 at CES.  My live Sinatra CD was simply off the scale.  You'd swear he was right there in the room, his facial expressions, love for the crowd, the drinks being served at the Sands....the images had more density than any reproduced sound I've heard, in this way more like live than anything imagined.

Julian's review is remarkable.  I am in awe.  I will NOT miss an opportunity to hear Julian's rig if I am ever nearby.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2003, 07:01 pm »
Jim,

Were you on vacation??? Didn't see you respond lately.

Julian,

Nice reviews!!!!

I do have a question about your "home theater" setup with the Trinarual. Do you think there is a way to not have three identical speakers with the lrc in the center and still see enough value of the Trinaural???  A rm-40 or RM/x would not work for the center speaker for movies,per se. Any other ideas using the rm-40 0r Rm/x as the left and right fronts?????

Larry

Sedona Sky Sound

Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2003, 10:09 pm »
Hello Larry,
Integrating the ideal Trinaural system into a Home Theater setup has been a quandary for me also. When using an RM40 or RM/X in the center for HT, the only way I can think of is to use a perforated screen positioned in front of the speaker. You will loose some sonics during movies (but the sound will probably still be good enough for most people) but you can then just raise the screen when you want to listen to music.

I personally would not suggest using the Trinaural with RM/Xs on the sides and an LRC in the center. The RM/X is so far better than the LRC that any Trinaural benefit would be lost by the difference in the two speakers. Using the Trinaural with RM40s on the sides would be a closer call. In this setup, you would want to also integrate a sub into the mix to "warm up" the sound. If you currently have 626Rs on the side and an LRC in the center, adding in the Trinaural is a no-brainer. You would have lots of sonic benefit with very little/no sonic down-side.

Where space permits, the use of a 626R (or RM1/2) is actually a better choice than the LRC for the center. Since the drivers of the LRC are placed horizontally in relation to each other, it is physically impossible to get the same level of imaging that a vertical orientation can provide. That is not a problem with movies (in fact, you don't necessarily want pinpoint imaging with movies) but you will be able to hear the difference in imaging when using the Trinaural.  

I hope that helps.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

ABEX

Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2003, 10:58 pm »
What a setup! Makes me drool just looking at it!

I would have to have a dedicated room for it! With the amps I bet the pricetag would be around $15K?

Must have taken time to consider what to use. WOuld love to hear it.

Nice work! :wink:

rblnr

trinaural/Meridian's trifield
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2003, 08:16 pm »
I have a Meridian processor that does Trifield which I understand to address the same issues as the Trinaural processor.  I use a pair of RM40's w/an LRC, all TRT'd and FST'd as my array.   I have the thought sometimes that I'm gaining some distortion by using the LRC w/its single ribbon panel vs. the RM40 w/four -- wonder if I'm degrading midrange purity somehow as either of these three speaker schemes place heavy demands on the center.  Any thoughts?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2003, 06:41 am »
Quote from: Sedona Sky Sound
Hello Larry,
Integrating the ideal Trinaural system into a Home Theater setup has been a quandary for me also. When using an RM40 or RM/X in the center for HT, the only way I can think of is to use a perforated screen positioned in front of the speaker. You will loose some sonics during movies (but the sound will probably still be good enough for most people) but you can then just raise the screen when you want to listen to music.

I personally would not suggest using the Trinaural with RM/Xs on the si ...

I think Brian should make a super duper LRC to fit atop or below a regular TV: 2 or 3 mids mounted horizontally at the bottom of the cabinet, above that centered 1x HET, flanking the HET 2x 5.25" woofers on each side (4x total).  The low bass cutoff would be limited but who cares, that's why God invented the LSW.  Sensitivity & max output would be huge.  It could come with little shims or something else to tilt it down or up a bit if neceesary.  With the little 5.25s it could be as short as about 12".

jgubman

Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2003, 06:46 am »
I'll take one!
Now that I have my RM40s, I'm struck w/ how far behind the LRC is lagging. When we're watching a movie/tv, I find myself switching to 2-channel operation, just to get the massively stronger clarity and output from the 40s.

Hell, if things keep going like this, I'll be dusting off my old prologic receiver and I'll be all the way back to 1996 (only w/ much better speakers).

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Trinaural with RM/X
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2003, 07:13 am »
Yeah you are right.  The LRC sounds fantastic by itself.  The first time auditoined I thought one of the best sounds I had heard.  One customer who was stuck having to put his 2 main stereo spkrs on a huge mantle bought two LRC fully loaded with TRTs & loved them.  

But then when directly placed next to the RM40s.........well.....