DAC-9

phusis

DAC-9
« on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:30 pm »
Hi all

Any news on the upcoming DAC-9, and when it'll be released for sale? Last I heard on this board, from Jason, was end February.

What will be the expected price for a DAC-9?

Best,
M

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
Re: DAC-9
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:42 pm »
For the music lover, the Nuforce DAC9 stands as the definitive digital-to-analog conversion hub. The DAC9's six digital inputs offer total compatibility with every existing digital source. With its defeatable volume control, the DAC9 can be used without a preamp as an exclusively digital setup. When switched to Fixed Output, the volume control circuit is completely bypassed for the cleanest signal path.

A uniquely designed output filter and minimalist analog output stage with no negative feedback allow the DAC9 to preserve phase coherency and musical harmonics while maintaining an excellent transient capability. The absence in the signal path of an oversampling filter and sample-rate conversion circuitry further contribute to the DAC9's excellent performance characteristics. In addition, a toroidal transformer with multiple stages of voltage regulation provides tight, low-impedance power.

The DAC9's USB input supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 176.4, and 192kHz from PCs and MACs.

For added convenience, the DAC9 includes a high-performance headphone output with independent volume control.

Features:

6 inputs: USB, AES/EBU, RCA/BNC, RCA, Toslink, 3.5mm Optical*
        Outputs:  XLR, RCA, 3.5mm and 6.3mm headphone output*
        Touch panel control
        Remote control: volume, input select, dim, mute
        Volume and sample rate display

* The headphone output and optical input share the 3.5mm Optical Input

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:46 pm »
The final price is not set, should be between $1500 to $1900 (some of the costs are still not finalized).  Production will begin in 2 weeks time, so availability should be around end of March or slightly sooner.

We are convinced that there is no similar product with so much features and performance anywhere close to this price range

phusis

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2011, 11:10 pm »
Thanks for the information, Casey! It really sounds like this will be a killer-DAC at a very reasonable price, also taking into consideration the amount of features and inputs.

Great there's a volume control included as well - I take it it operates in the digital realm(I attenuate digitally in my setup as is, sans a hardware preamp, and would like to continue with this)? How would you assess the DAC-9's potential as a "preamp," or more specifically: what's the imprinting on the sound of its native (digital) volume control?

EDIT: How does the HDP hold up against the DAC-9, as a DAC alone?

Best,
M

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2011, 12:08 am »
The volume control is a digitally controlled analog volume control.  The DAC9 is a Reference Class product with designation #9 which denotes it being our high-end performance product.  HDP is indeed the top of the Icon class product.

(on the other hand HDP will soon get it's long awaited linear power supply upgrade in March too, which brings the performance closer to DAC9).

phusis

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:53 pm »
(on the other hand HDP will soon get it's long awaited linear power supply upgrade in March too, which brings the performance closer to DAC9).

Have you tested the HD(P) with the linear power supply, and if so, what's the perceived difference in sound quality? If you haven't tested it, then why or how do you expect an upgrade in SQ? I'd very much like to get a bearing on the sonic impact of the upcoming linear power supply...

Moreover, can you confirm whether the volume control found in the Icon HD is the very same as the HDP?

Are there any pictures of the DAC-9 yet? I imagine the cabinet size and design will be that roughly resembling the 8 & 9-series amps and CDP-8.. 

Best,
M

PS. Oh, am I correct in understanding that the volume control of the HD will be disabled/fixed when connecting the RCA outputs to my poweramp, and that it hereby only functions with the headphones? Sorry if I didn't get that to begin with, but that's suddenly how I came to realize the matter when reading elsewhere that the preamp has been excluded in the HD, hence the omission of the letter "P" in HDP. If anything, might it not proove a slight advantage not having the signal to pass through a volume control and an input "shifter"?

PPS. Just read a little more up on this, and it actually appears, as per the people from head-fi.org, that the volume control of the HD will indeed affect/control the RCA output as well. Total confusion here. Maybe you could clarify... :)

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:56 am »
Have you tested the HD(P) with the linear power supply, and if so, what's the perceived difference in sound quality? If you haven't tested it, then why or how do you expect an upgrade in SQ? I'd very much like to get a bearing on the sonic impact of the upcoming linear power supply...

Moreover, can you confirm whether the volume control found in the Icon HD is the very same as the HDP?

This is not related to the subject of this thread, we'll post more info later. (HD has the same volume pot as HDP.)

Are there any pictures of the DAC-9 yet? I imagine the cabinet size and design will be that roughly resembling the 8 & 9-series amps and CDP-8.. 

Yes, it has the same new look, much like the CDP-8, with 2 display windows.  Picture should be posted later in March.

PS. Oh, am I correct in understanding that the volume control of the HD will be disabled/fixed when connecting the RCA outputs to my poweramp, and that it hereby only functions with the headphones? Sorry if I didn't get that to begin with, but that's suddenly how I came to realize the matter when reading elsewhere that the preamp has been excluded in the HD, hence the omission of the letter "P" in HDP. If anything, might it not proove a slight advantage not having the signal to pass through a volume control and an input "shifter"?
HD has analog RCA output, and the output gets CUT OFF when the headphone plug is inserted.   No preamp - means there is no analog inputs nor switching capability.

PPS. Just read a little more up on this, and it actually appears, as per the people from head-fi.org, that the volume control of the HD will indeed affect/control the RCA output as well. Total confusion here. Maybe you could clarify... :)
[/quote]

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2011, 03:00 am »
Will it look anything like this  :D

Came up when I was searching for more info on google.
http://picasaweb.google.com/nuforce.com/DAC9#

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2011, 08:19 pm »
Yes, this is the picture taken on the prototype.  The control strip would have Direct input access #1-6, and volume up/down.  The lower right corner is the volume knob for the headphone output.  The left shows both the large and smaller headphone connector (3.5mm connector doubles as optical input for PC).

Will it look anything like this  :D

Came up when I was searching for more info on google.
http://picasaweb.google.com/nuforce.com/DAC9#

worldcat

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:26 pm »
Is this unit fully balanced?   It would of been nice to have a I2S hdmi input connection.

Bene83

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm »
Have the DAC-9 asynchronous USB? Any new release infos?  :D

phusis

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2011, 10:35 am »
The final price is not set, should be between $1500 to $1900 (some of the costs are still not finalized).  Production will begin in 2 weeks time, so availability should be around end of March or slightly sooner.

We are convinced that there is no similar product with so much features and performance anywhere close to this price range

Hi Casey

Now that production of the DAC-9 is soon underway(possibly next week?), is there any settlement on the final price?

I can't figure out whether to try out the Icon HD with the upgraded PSU, or go with the DAC-9 instead - i.e.: whether I'm in for a "substantial" upgrade with the DAC-9 over the Icon HD. I know this is a difficult question, for what is "substantial, "significant," or "clearly noticable" if this is what applies to the perceived difference - in presumed favor of the DAC-9?

Besides the added features of the DAC-9, what really sets it apart in sheer performance compared to the Icon HD? At least to begin with I intend to use the USB inputs, in both cases.

(my setup comprises: NuForce Stereo 8.5V3, Mundorf IC's and speaker cables, J River MC16 via HTPC, and Auto-Tech's "The Mummy" speakers(http://www.horns.pl/index.html))
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2011, 05:20 pm by phusis »

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:45 am »
DAC-9 uses DSP and many discrete components to implement DAC functions. The additional cost and space allow us to do more. Icon HDP/HD uses off-the-shelf DAC chips (even though there are 4 inside).

DAC-9 implementation has been challenging since we keep adding features and changing layout. We set the bar higher and higher so it is getting tough ;)

Pilot production units just came out, still evaluating.

mramsden

Re: DAC-9 release?
« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2011, 07:12 pm »
There was a post yesterday announcing the release of the DAC-9, http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/2011/03/nuforce-dac-9-launched.html

and elsewhere a price of $1300 and says "Signature Upgrade already included", http://www.upgradecompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=15&category_id=16&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=122

If this holds true, getting an es9018 D/A utilizing DAC with what Nuforce brings to it looks awfully good!

Surprised there's no info on the Nuforce DAC-9 page however indicating it's been released...

Waiting..

John Casler

Re: DAC-9 release?
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:31 pm »
There was a post yesterday announcing the release of the DAC-9, http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/2011/03/nuforce-dac-9-launched.html

and elsewhere a price of $1300 and says "Signature Upgrade already included", http://www.upgradecompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=15&category_id=16&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=122

If this holds true, getting an es9018 D/A utilizing DAC with what Nuforce brings to it looks awfully good!

Surprised there's no info on the Nuforce DAC-9 page however indicating it's been released...

Waiting..

Hmmmm.....Looks pretty formidable.

I have a few of my NuFORCE customers and clients keeping their eyes (and ears) open on this one.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:25 am »
Here is the official page - http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/Dac-HPAmp/dac9/index.php

There are some mistakes in the digital audio blog, not sure where they got the information :duh: :scratch:.

Clarifications:

DAC-9 sums the output of 2 current output DACs, and an elegant output stage featuring uniquely constructed I/V conversion and output filters.

The headphone output on the DAC9 is very nice, and the volume on the HP output is separately adjustable.

DAC-9 will ship with a 96k USB option, with 192k upgrade options to be provided very soon.   (There are some Windows driver issue beyond Nuforce's control and we have no choice but to postpone the availability of 192kHz USB function)

The volume control is very transparent, and I can hardly hear any degradation using variable vs. fixed.

Bottom line, you'd be very pleased with the performance.

phusis

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2011, 08:37 am »
Thanks for the follow-up, Casey.

Is there any settlement on the price of the DAC-9?

Best,
M

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2011, 06:11 am »
$1695

worldcat

« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:19 pm »
I take it this unit is not fully balanced? :duh:

phusis

« Reply #19 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:34 pm »
I take it this unit is not fully balanced? :duh:

worldcat -

According the website, and if I'm to understand its true meaning(i.e.: "true-balanced" = "fully balanced"), it is:

The true-balanced XLR output produces twice the gain of the RCA output.

http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/Dac-HPAmp/dac9/index.php

Best,
M