Using Equalizers

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Using Equalizers
« on: 25 Jan 2004, 02:45 pm »
Since there seems to be differences with each experience,esp. with the RM-40 in different rooms..has anyone used an equalizer such as the http://www.rane.com/thx44.html  ????

This is a thx certiffied eq that is used for the front 3 speakers(extremely useful if not all front speakers are the same make or model) and for the subwoofer. They also make one for the surrounds the thx22 model.

The pdf on the bottom had some good info.

Larry

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Using Equalizers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2004, 04:01 pm »
Larry,

I have been toying with the idea of using this:

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

The Behringer has been recommended on many sites and seems to be a good product.  I have been a little hesitant since on the 40's the crossover is high enough that it isn't just pure low bass.

I wil most likely give it a shot down the road or maybe I will try it first with a sub.

GW

ABEX

Using Equalizers
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2004, 06:35 pm »
Behringer
I was thinking about trying to use one of the Behringer units with a Panasonic Digital amps.Not sure about all the benefits of using one yet. That unit looks good also.

Do not own VMPS Speakers ,but I would imagine any component that is inserted before the speakers & amp is going to bring another set of variables into the mix that will need to be worked out which makes me reluctant to do it.

Will be looking closer into what to tryout.Thanks for another option.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Using Equalizers
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2004, 06:41 pm »
Not sure you can use the Behringer with the Panny receiver.

You are supposed to put the Behringer between the preamp and amp.  

Can't do that with Panny b/c... :nono:

Now that I am thinking about it, what could you use with the Panny?

GW

jgubman

Using Equalizers
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2004, 10:56 pm »
Larry,
I can comment on the Rane THX44, I've owned one for a little over a year and just sold it on Audiogon!
I used the Rane w/ great success w/ my old speakers (Paradigm Studio 40 & CC). The Rane was perfect at taming some room modes, but only gave you +/- 6db adjustments, so you really couldn't overdo it (which was a blessing for me).

I quit using the Rane when I got my RM-40s, because the Rane is a THX model and figures that you may not run your front 3 speakers below 80Hz. I like to cross the 40s over at 40hz and my LRC at 60Hz, so the Rane was letting the most problematic frequencies go through unequalized.

Also, I could've used a few more dbs of adjustment on the parametric sliders for the subwoofer channel.

Overall, though it was a great unit and only benefited my old system. I couldn't detect any negative sonic changes w/ the Rane into the system.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Using Equalizers
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2004, 11:01 pm »
Nice reply,Thanks.

Anyone using any other eq's or the like. Like the Parc from rives or audiocontrols diva or the lesser model???

Larry

mb

Using Equalizers
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2004, 01:56 am »
I am using a Behringer in my home setup, where is manages a bad 56Hz mode very well. It takes a narrow -12.5dB notch to partially neutralize the mode (floor/ceiling). Normally the mode is not very audible, as the note seems fairly rare on my cd collection, but on a couple of cds the mode sounds really awful. I say "partially" neutralize, because I feel that the overall sound feels a mite sterile when the bass response is brought really flat.

As for use with VMPS, I've actually tried it! In the listening room where the VMPS was used, there were a host of nodes measured. Some correction was applied (broader, less deep notches were needed), and it made many cds much more listenable. The initial impression was also that "bass was diminished". Well, that's inevitable when you remove reinforcing nodes... The  bass without eq was really very lumpy. Overall, the quality of bass improved, and this in turn allowed midrange to be heard clearer.  DEQ is a serious option for those stubborn modes that can't be managed by speaker positioning and room treatment.

cbartolomei

EQ's and such
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2004, 04:06 pm »
I've never trid the Rane gear.  I have in the past used a Berhinger (8020 or 8024) with a pair of Apogee Duetta Sigs.  I sold the Apogees and kept the Behringer- it's in a box in a closet somewhere.  The Behringer stuff is fun and easy to use.  And it seems to work reasonbly well.  There was a review printed in one of the high-end rags that nailed it's sound pretty well.  I can't quite bring myself to sell it.  Kinda like a old superphon DM preamp that I have somewhere.  I just know that it'll come in handy sometime.    

I now use a Tact 2.0 with my RM/X's.  The Tact stuff is awesome.  But you've got to really work with the stuff to get it the right curve.  Kinda like Brian's pain in the ass to adjust passive radiator.  Don't plan on push button plug and play.    A little- NO, make that A LOT of effort but worth it.