Xtreme Cables "QUICKSILVER" Contact Enhancer Mini-

John Casler

« on: 25 Jan 2006, 03:39 pm »
Brian Kyle is an audio video "enthusuiast", and I should captialize the word ENTHUSIAST :o

He shared the VMPS room at CES, with his cables and contact enhancer.

I beleive there are two grades: Silver and Gold

I also heard him enthusiatically singing the praises of the new GOLD version and how well it worked, even on video.

Well to make a long story short, I was getting bored watching the play offs this last Sunday and began looking for video deficiencies in the picture of my 36" standard def Toshiba TV.

I was running Dish Network, and had it hooked up 2 different ways:

1) I ran the antennae out from the Dish Receiver to the TV and used channel three
2) I ran the signal via S-Video connetctions through my Receiver.

Both yielded a slightly different picture quality, with the S-Video/Receiver route being the most clear.

The Coax cable route produced serious "dot crawl".

This looks like small ants crawling along the edges of light colors and darker colors where the edge should be sharp and motionless.

Colors, detail, and contrast in both routes were not the greatest.  I had contrast, brightness, and color all set to 50.  50 is the factory setting.

Generally when adjusting a video monitor you set the brightness, sharpness and contrast "LOWER" than factory, but in this case it simply looked to bad, even in a darkened room.

So I made my observations "particularly" the dot crawl, which was a big negative visually that was totally apparent and not adjustable out of the picture with any of the on board controls.

Then I applied Xtreme QuickSilver to all the connections on the coaxial side, from the wall, to the power conditioner, to the TV.

I also applied it to all the S-video connections from the DISH receiver to the AVReceiver, to the TV.

While I was at it, I also did the Component connections from the receiver to my Front Projector, and from my DVD player to the Reciever to the projector, also component.

The results:

Dot crawl is not TOTALLY GONE.  Not reduced, not a little better, but NON-Existant :o  :o

Color saturation on the Coax input was now oversaturated, and both brightness, contrast, color and tint could now be set well below the factory settings with excellent results.

The S-video had slightly less improvement, but that is because it was slightly better to begin with.  However it to now had no dot crawl, and ever detail was now better.

So later that night afternoon (as it got darker) I flipped on the projector (In Focus ScreenPlay 4805) and after it warmed up, it was VERY apparent that the DISH TV broadcast was vastly improved.

Color before was "dull, dull,dull" and I put it down to S-video, Upconversion to component (in the receiver) and simply bad broadcast, blown up to a 120" picture.

Well I was wrong.  The colors now were totally improved and the whole picture was not "toned khaki".

Brightness was also vastly improved.  The increase was so dramatic that I had to go into the menue and "dial down" both brightness and contrast, which is normally a good thing for the picture.

So while you can spend big bucks to get that kind of improvement in your video system, I thought I should share this experience, and find it intersting to hear what other might have found on the video side, with this product.

You know with audio, it "IS" possible to think you heard an improvement, when you only have a delicate audio memory to rely on.

Let me tell you, dot crawl is not imaginary, and it is either there or not there.

Mine now is non-existant.

I phone Brian to tell him of what I discovered and that I would post the results and he told me that the Silver (like I have) is $65, and the Gold is normally $159 but on introductory special for $135.

I have to add:

1) I know Brian, but am not a dealer for his products
2) He "gave" me the product to try
3) I can't guarrantee the same result, but would suggest if you have any of these problems that you take a chance (he might even have some type of guarrantee) and check it out.
4) I like finding product that work and sharing that.

I have tried MapleShade QuickSilver on my audio system and found I liked the improvement.

Soon I will use the Xtreme version on the soundsystem and see what I hear and report.

Brian has a website at http://www.xtremecables.com

If you try this stuff, let me know what you find.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2006, 04:22 pm »
Thanks John - as always, well written observation of, for me at least, something new to ponder   :)

I use the Mapleshade silver bearing grease and I'm quite pleased with the itsy bitsy investment.  I really do need to try it on video connections now.

_scotty_

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2006, 07:50 pm »
John, this is a very interesting result. From  Wikipedia,
Dot crawl is the popular name for a visual defect of color analog video standards when signals are transmitted as composite video. It consists of animated checkerboard patterns which appear along vertical color transitions. It results from intermodulation or crosstalk between chrominance and luminance components of the signal, which are imperfectly multiplexed in the frequency domain.

Does the Toshiba or the Infocus projector system have a comb filter to separate the encoded chrominance signal from the luminance signal.
Can you use component video inputs to avoid the problem entirely.
I have a an older JVC 31in. set and have had all kinds of problems with low signal strength from poor connections. The cable guy came to the rescue
by replacing all of the store bought  coax with company issue coax that he terminated with a very heavy brass connector and my problems disappeared.
Bad connections and the loss of signal strength that they cause are probably a widespread problem. It looks like you found a potent solution to the problem albeit an expensive one.
Scotty

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2006, 07:59 pm »
Hi Scotty,

Only the Toshiba had the "dot crawl" problem.  The InFocus Projector did not.

I am not a video expert, so I don't know if componet video will do the same thing, but I can't say I noticed it when I played a DVD (component input) with the Toshiba.

I do know that I occasionally had a weird effect "venetian blind effect" I think it is called.

I will report if I still occasionally see it.

I'm of the opinion, that the weakest (signal) link in most, if not every system, is the number of and quality of all the "compression and pressure contact connections".  I think attention paid to these junctures, can solve many problems and add quality that mega$$ components cannot do.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2006, 08:01 pm »
John, any estimates on how many contacts the silver version would treat?

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2006, 08:19 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
John, any estimates on how many contacts the silver version would treat?

Maybe Brian himself will jump in and answer that, but it is certainly connection specific.

That is, the Coaxial F-connection to next to nothing.  I coated the single lead in the center, and then placed a small coat on the threads of the screw connection.

Probably could do a hundred or so of those.

But if you have a 15 amp Power Cord where you do all three prongs, you might only be able to do 75 or so.

The amount you use is rather small.

I'm sure most could do their system at least 2 x with a small jar.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2006, 08:22 pm »
You know an experiment that would be quite interesting would be to have a shoot out with some megabuck cables vs. some medium to reasonably priced cables "with" this treatment, to see what it does to the performance.

I have a feeling that it could em"bare ass" some very lofty wiring :mrgreen:

Kenobi

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2006, 09:10 pm »
Hi John,

I've had Brian's QuikSilver for quite a few months now and the darn thing just works wonder on video.  Like you, I had to reset all the settings on my TVs to accommodate the improvement in contrast, brightness, detail, color saturation, etc...  

The audio aspect is great too though to to the extent of the video improvement.  Have you had a chance to evaluate any audio differences?

Thanks,

John Ryder

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2006, 03:22 am »
Glad Soundideas isn't around touting this...he got royally ripped by Brian Kyle on another forum when he got caught shilling...His quote:

I came across this thread when I did a google search about my product... QuickSilver GOLD.

First, I do know who soundideas is... and he had tested my product and was reporting his honest opinion. The problem is that this guy has done more harm to my business than I could have imagined... as his reputation precedes him.

In NO WAY did I authorize him posting on the forums... as the product was in Beta Testing. Furthermore, I did not want to be associated with him... as he did something similar when I introduced my first product... QuickSilver Audio & VIdeo Contact Enahncer... and he was not received very well. I have instucted him to please DO NOT post anything about my products ON ANY FORUMS!!!

So please accept my apologies on behalf of soundideas.

The fact remains that there are an ever growing number of audiophiles and videophiles who do believe QuickSilver GOLD is a "breakthrough" product.

QuickSIlver GOLD is cutrrently being used by top Audio Manufacturers, Audio Modders, etc. such as:

Tube Research Labs
McCormack Audio
VMPS Audio
Xtreme Cables
Reference Audio Mods

In fact, QuickSIlver GOLD was even used on their cables by the highly conservative reference quality audio manufacturer Audio Research at this year's CES. And we also used it in our room... and was noted by many reviewers as having some of the best sound at the show!!!

http://www.vmpseurope.com/r-CES06.htm

The product works... and sales are growing weekly. And both QuickSilver and QuickSilver GOLD are GUARANTEED to perform... and with over 900 sales to date... I have yet to have anyone take me up on my money-back guarantee!!!  

I just wanted to add my comments to this abysmall thread... more to set the record straight than to promote my products.

Now if you want to try it for yourself... I would be happy to send you a QuickSIlver GOLD Kit for your thoughtful and honest evaluation. Please call me if you have an interest.

Sincerely,

Brian Kyle

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2006, 03:23 pm »
Quote from: Kenobi
Hi John,

I've had Brian's QuikSilver for quite a few months now and the darn thing just works wonder on video.  Like you, I had to reset all the settings on my TVs to accommodate the improvement in contrast, brightness, detail, color saturation, etc...  

The audio aspect is great too though to to the extent of the video improvement.  Have you had a chance to evaluate any audio differences?

Thanks,

Yes, SBS (Super Bowl Sunday - I must get bored with football) I went through the 2 channel system, and all I can say is it never sounded better.

Was it that every office and business in the city was shut down and the electricity was better?  I don't know, but the sound was as good as it gets.

The video improvements are more easily "seen" simply because you are not relying on "auditory memory" to decide on the differences.

Much easier to see differences, than to hear them, but I am sure they are there.

This will be my last post in open forum regading this product, since I have contacted Brian about "offering" QS and QSG to my clients.  Not because it is some kind of "money maker", but because it is one of the best tweaks.  Even with low to mid priced cables.  In fact, I would compare it to room treatments.  You can have the best speakers and components going and if the room isn't good the system won't be its best.

Comparatively you can have "megabuck" cables and if the contact pressure connections have gaps (and they "all" do) the sound won't be its best.