I Switched sides.

Crimson

I Switched sides.
« on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm »
Yes, it's true. I started playing the bass about 6 months ago after almost 40 years of playing the guitar. And I'm loving it. Unfortunately, there is a learning curve. Yes, a guitar player can handle the physical requirements of fretting and (in my case) finger-picking. But that's pretty much where the similarities end. Timing and progressions are very different. As I was told initially, 'you sound like a rhythm guitarist playing the base'. But with practice that's slowly changing now, and WOW! What an instrument.

After a few iterations, I'm currently happy playing an active Ibanez SR1400 Premium with Nordstrand Big Single pickups through a Hartke 3500 hybrid head which feeds a Hartke 410 cabinet. I love the Ibanez as it's not thick and chunky like a standard Jazz or Precision bass (Ha, it's more like a guitar), and has incredible tone. The hybrid with 410 cabinet are just right. Great punch and clarity. Oh, and I found out that you need a lot more power for the bass when playing in a band. A little 150W (!) combo won't cut it.

Just thought I'd share.

Delta Wave

Re: I Switched sides.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm »
 :thumb: I've been tossing around the idea as well. I tend to dig a fretless bass, they've always had a natural feel every time I've picked one up and played it.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2012, 11:37 pm »
Congratulations man and Wow!  What a nice rig!

It took me a long time to quit trying to be a guitar player when I took up the bass a few years ago. Not that I was ever a good guitar player, but it was all that I knew. I'm still learning how to be a good bass player in the context of a band setting. One thing I discovered is that you need to be a good listener to your band (or the song) and don't worry too much about trying to fill in every space with a note. I have a tendency to overplay my part to make up for my lack of skill . . .   :oops:   It seems like the better I get, the more I notice there is some free time to pay attention to the music and to where it's going. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but there it is.

I am also learning that it's more important to keep perfect time with the drummer and to think about the upcoming chord changes than it is to play with fancy technical ability. But of course I am still working on my chops so that someday I might be able to do both.  :D

Enough about me, I'm just excited for you. Have fun with it Crimson!  :thumb:

Delta Wave

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2012, 11:41 pm »

It took me a long time to quit trying to be a guitar player when I took up the bass a few years ago. Not that I was ever a good guitar player, but it was all that I knew. I'm still learning how to be a good bass player in the context of a band setting. One thing I discovered is that you need to be a good listener to your band (or the song) and don't worry too much about trying to fill in every space with a note. I have a tendency to overplay my part to make up for my lack of skill . . .   :oops:   It seems like the better I get, the more I notice there is some free time to pay attention to the music and to where it's going. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but there it is.

I am also learning that it's more important to keep perfect time with the drummer and to think about the upcoming chord changes than it is to play with fancy technical ability. But of course I am still working on my chops so that someday I might be able to do both.  :D

Enough about me, I'm just excited for you. Have fun with it Crimson!  :thumb:

Tis a baddass rig indeed!

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:20 am »

Thank you! I'm fortunate to have a good friend who owns an independent music shop. Went through a few basses and more than a few combo/head/cabinet setups before I found what I like.

I am also learning that it's more important to keep perfect time with the drummer and to think about the upcoming chord changes than it is to play with fancy technical ability.

So true. The bass is a harmonizing percussive instrument. Quite visceral. I'm working on the fancy. Working hard.

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:21 am »
Tis a baddass rig indeed!

And thank you!  :green:

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2012, 03:25 am »
Very cool another bass player is always a good thing. So many folks think its just a low level supporting instrument which coudn't be further from the truth. I think a good bassman can really make or break the bands sound myself. If you listen to guys like Phil Lesh and John Entwistle and how much they defined the sound of the players around them and influenced the styles of each band they were in its amazing.

mjosef

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2012, 03:28 am »
"Flip-flopper"
 :lol:

ZLS

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2012, 05:14 am »