The great loudspeaker search over!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2006, 03:34 pm »
OK, I am trying to post some snips of how the HT3s are making me feel, kinda rather than analysing the sound.

Emotional impression this morning:

I am in one of the "ultra hi end rooms" at a CES show with zillions of dollars of cables and 300 pound tube amps and tubes glowing everywhere and room treatment accessories everywhere and a set of $50,000 speakers being showcased and played.  This is how the looks and workmanship and the sound, the sound, of the HT3s is coming across (with of course day and night better sound than any room at a show ever)  nothing in my 55 years of listening has grabbed me quite this way, well maybe the Fulton J Modular system 20 years ago.

I am so lucky to have these absolutely awesome looking pieces of exotic furniture here playing music so awesomely too.  How am I supposed to get anything done here now for the time being?

Frank

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #21 on: 24 Feb 2006, 04:25 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
Dennis, I am using the HT3s with the contour switch off (up) of course.

I actually never got to hear the contour switch, since I don't have a pair of HT3's.  I had done one earlier that people generally felt was too subtle, so I cranked this one down some more using my simulations.  I take it you think it may be a bit too much.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2006, 04:35 pm »
Nope, I think the contour switch might be pretty close to just right for people with more mainstream solid state equipment.

Frank

BradJudy

« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2006, 05:07 pm »
Where's the "This thread is useless without pictures" smilie?  :)  Got any pics of your new setup Frank?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2006, 09:01 pm »
Just an interesting follow up.  This afternoon I had a client come in, brought in a older Fet Valve amp for upgrade and ordered a new Ultra SL preamp, and listened and saw the HT3s.

we listened to Graceland for a bit and his comment and I agreed was that we had never heard Paul Simon's voice sound that real and good before ever, not even close.

He also said he had never seen or heard a speaker that good and with that high a quality looks and fit and finish for under $15000 a pair before, and that he had seen and heard it all from Wilsons to Gallos.

Don't tell Jim that.  :)

Frank

texas steve

« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2006, 09:07 pm »
[
He also said he had never seen or heard a speaker that good and with that high a quality looks and fit and finish for under $15000 a pair before, and that he had seen and heard it all from Wilsons to Gallos.

Don't tell Jim at.  :)

Frank[/quote]

WOW, yes!  Im glad Jim's building mine now, after he reads this the prices are going to go up!!!   With all these GREAT comment, I cant wait.  I should get them in the next couple of weeks.

Marbles

« Reply #26 on: 24 Feb 2006, 09:11 pm »
Just an interesting follow up.  This afternoon I had a client come in, brought in a older Fet Valve amp for upgrade and ordered a new Ultra SL preamp, and listened and saw the HT3s.

we listened to Graceland for a bit and his comment and I agreed was that we had never heard Paul Simon's voice sound that real and good before ever, not even close.

Don't tell Jim that.  :)

Frank

Frank, aren't these "B" stock?

His "A" stock is pretty outstanding with his (upgraded) mega coats of hand rubbed laquer finish..........

Quote from: jsalk
One slight correction - the cabinets are curly walnut (not burled walnut). And they were seconds.

I had some "distressed" walnut I thought would look real nice. But when the cabinets were veneered I wasn't thrilled with them. In addition, the customer ordered additional speakers and I didn't have enough of the same veneer to complete the entire set.

So I built replacement cabinets for that particular customer. I never took the time to complete the finishing process on these cabinets. Of course, none of that affects the sound.

When Frank asked if I had any "B stock" speakers he could demo, I recalled having these cabinets laying around. So I used them for this demonstration (since it will be quite a while before I'll have time to build another "extra" pair of cabinets).

I did install the Sonicap upgrade and the "contour" switch.

- Jim

mcrespo71

« Reply #27 on: 24 Feb 2006, 09:51 pm »
This is a great story!  Thanks so much for sharing, as it's nice to see people that are just straight up happy with their new gear.

Michael

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2006, 10:15 pm »
I think they are B Stock now because I put a small scratch on the back panel using a small jewelers screwdrivere putting a wire link in between the upper and lower speaker terminals (I never bi-wire - waste of money). :(

If these are Jim's idea of "B Stock" I would hate to see what "A Stock" is like.  The guys from Raiders of the Lost Ark would chasing Jim for them.

Frank

Marbles

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2006, 10:23 pm »
I think they are B Stock now because I put a small scratch on the back panel using a small jewelers screwdrivere putting a wire link in between the upper and lower speaker terminals (I never bi-wire - waste of money). :(

If these are Jim's idea of "B Stock" I would hate to see what "A Stock" is like.  The guys from Raiders of the Lost Ark would chasing Jim for them.

Frank

Frank, that is Jim's idea of "B" stock and actually, I think you would LOVE to see his A stock, and especially his speakers with the $750 upgraded hand rubbed finish.

As another person commented on Jim's woodwork...it's not high quality, it's museum quality.

I'm glad you like his speakers, I always thought that they would be a great fit with your electronics.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2006, 11:44 pm »

Frank

Here's my "B" Stock:

:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

texas steve

« Reply #31 on: 24 Feb 2006, 11:47 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Frank, that is Jim's idea of "B" stock and actually, I think you would LOVE to see his A stock, and especially his speakers with the $750 upgraded hand rubbed finish.

Jim is doing mine hand rubbed, I cant wait!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2006, 11:51 pm »
Mine have the black woofers, I think maybe I would rather have the white ones if its not too much trouble, just for the sake of the looks.  I can wait, no rush.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2006, 11:52 pm »
Otherwise mine look exactly like one ones in the photo a couple of posts above, I think.  Really nice walnut.

jsalk

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2006, 02:03 am »
Frank -

Mine have the black woofers, I think maybe I would rather have the white ones if its not too much trouble, just for the sake of the looks.  I can wait, no rush.

I talked to TC Sounds today and they said they would try to ship my next manufacturing run yet today.  So I should have more raw aluminum drivers in about a week or so.  I can send you a pair when they arrive and you can swap them out.

- Jim

Gordy

« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2006, 05:53 am »
So, getting back to Frank's original topic...

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 25 Feb 2006, 02:54 pm »
I woke up this morning and went downstairs to the sound room and the "speaker fairy" had put the plinths and spikes on them!  Actually my great friend who does my prototype work and design innovations was here visiting me from Des Moines this weekend and he got up before I did and finished putting them together.

They look even better than ever, if that is possible, and the sound and looks struck him as positively as it does me.

Now its really funny, I am agonizing over whether a white woofer or a black woofer would look better -- me who normally cares only for the sound and the looks are far secondary.

Geeze Jim, you are messing up my brain.

Frank Van Alstine

Marbles

« Reply #37 on: 25 Feb 2006, 05:46 pm »
Frank, I think I know how you feel, this is how I said it after I received mine.

I meant it for both the visual and sonic presentations.....

Quote from: Marbles
Boy oh boy though...when you get them you will swear you got a fine piece of artwork before the artist is discovered for the genius that he is.

jsalk

« Reply #38 on: 25 Feb 2006, 06:33 pm »
Geeze Jim, you are messing up my brain.  

I am told that high levels of brain activity keep you young and active.

I don't know how fast you want to resolve your dilemma, but I will be traveling to Minneapolis at the end of May.  A band I was in in the late '60's (an indication of my age) is being inducted into the Midwest Rock Hall of Fame and the ceremonies are in the Twin Cities area (Medina Ballroom).

I could bring a pair of raw aluminum drivers along, thus avoiding shipping costs.  We could swap one out and you could see them side by side and make your decision. Just a thought...

- Jim

Tweaker

« Reply #39 on: 25 Feb 2006, 07:35 pm »
Personally, I'd stick with the black woofers assuming the performance is the same as the aluminum drivers. Black is less likely to keep drawing your attention so you can keep focused on the music.