SongTowers with Dipole Surrounds

Harmonics

SongTowers with Dipole Surrounds
« on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:15 pm »
I am thinking of getting SongTowers and a SongCenter now and adding surround speakers in the future for home theater use.  I'm curious what my options will be when I add the surrounds.  The SongSurrounds are direct speakers, right?  Are there wall-mountable dipole or dipole/bipole speakers that would match well with the SongTower and SongCenter?

Thanks!

Big Red Machine

Re: SongTowers with Dipole Surrounds
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:25 pm »
They are direct radiator versions.  Don't ever recall seeing a dipole version.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that direct radiating is just fine.  I have had both and prefer the direct radiating speakers.  They still create a sense of space if your system is properly calibrated.

skeeter99

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:31 pm »
I agree, I prefer a direct radiating rear speaker as well. With so much information directly tied to each channel now, vs very little to nothing when the surround formats first took shape and di/bi-poles were brought to market, it makes more sense to me (and my ears) to have the sound coming directly from a particular speaker. This goes back and forth and some people love a di/bi-pole, but personally I prefer direct radiating.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2009, 05:06 pm »
I did one di/bi-pole surround for Jim using the Excel W15's and I think the G2 ribbon.  It was fun to listen to--it could make an orchestra sound like it was coming from two different directions even with only one surround playing--but I have no idea how it would perform in an actual HT set-up, and I never got any feedback from the buyer.

audiocrazy

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2009, 05:26 pm »
I would also like to know opinions on this since I'm upgrading from full 7.1 Polk LSi series setup to Song Series. I have polk LSiFX as side surrounds in dipole mode and LSi7(direct) as rear back speakers.

I have ST now and center coming pretty soon.  I'd like to upgrade my surrounds to either Surrounds I or II's.
Any opinions on II's vs I's.