Super Mini's up and playing over here.

Captainhemo

Re: Super Mini's up and playing over here.
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2019, 04:09 am »
Would the M130 fit in the front baffle width, facilitating a cabinet build similar to the NX-oticas?  Would say a quad of them be able to reach low enough in frequency to get a full-ish range design out of the deal?

Danny will chime in on that  one  but,  I think  for the  lower  frequencies  in  an  OB   configureation, the  M165's  are  going to be a far better solution.   Even in a sealed  configuration, the  M130's are only going to reach  a -3db point of  approx  70hz

In a smaller  room, the  3  M165's  may satisfy  a lot ofpeope  without supplementing    low  end with  subs.   With the  M165x woofers in the  NX-Otica's,  I was getting    down  to  about   40 hz ,  even  a  bit lower  before they began to roll off.    for  a lot of music,  this is    very  pesent to listen  to.

In larger  rooms, they will   roll off much earlier,  likely  up  near  80Hz and  subs   will still be   needed for the last   few octaves

jay
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2019, 05:17 am by Captainhemo »

AKLegal

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2019, 11:02 am »
On top of  3  M165's  in a  same sized cabinet  as the  lower part of the NX-Otica

jay

Not that I am dissatisfied, but I would have strongly considered these with a plate amp to power the M-165 woofers as an alternative the Super 7s. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2019, 01:15 pm »
Not that I am dissatisfied, but I would have strongly considered these with a plate amp to power the M-165 woofers as an alternative the Super 7s.

I've been thinking the same thing. I like the flexibility of being able to control the lower end.

Early B.

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2019, 01:37 pm »
I've been thinking the same thing. I like the flexibility of being able to control the lower end.

How low would they go? I'm assuming you'd still need a sub or two with this configuration.

Captainhemo

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2019, 03:03 pm »
How low would they go? I'm assuming you'd still need a sub or two with this configuration.

In a smaller room you may get  down into the low 40's /  high 30's , with the active M165's  and for some, that   will work  on their own.  to cover the lower  couple octaves,   supplement with   the OB servo subs.

In larger room,  they are  going  to roll off  in the 80 hz   area so  in any larger room,  you'll for sure  want  a pair of the  subs.

Would be very similar to  results  folks are reporting with the  NX  Oticas
jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jun 2019, 01:11 am »
Okay you guys check this out and tell me what you think. It is my first attempt at the use of this new video blogging camera.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s_xvsusaIXnu0u9Ec-b5jn1GiSLWOcrd/view?usp=sharing

The little camera has a dual mic (I think) on the front side of it. I am hand holding it and I am behind it (behind the microphone). But I think the sound came out okay.

I may do some more of this. Please feel free to critic the whole thing. Anything constructive is welcome.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jun 2019, 01:18 am »
And here is a short video clip with audio. The creaking noises at the beginning is me getting in and out of the zero gravity chair. It sounds like an old lawn chair creaking in the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jkTbaaIj1DhLsBk64l-s_blb1ED7oYFS/view?usp=sharing

The obvious sound stage layering is lost in the recording. But interesting it shows how consistent the speakers sound off axis and from behind.

Let me know what you guys think of this one too.

jparkhur

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jun 2019, 01:19 am »
Well done.  Worked well from my perspective.

Early B.

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jun 2019, 02:43 am »
Love the videos. You should do more of these.

Why the no rez on the long wing?

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jun 2019, 03:48 am »
Love the videos. You should do more of these.

Why the no rez on the long wing?

The No Rez dampens out any resonance of the panel and absorbs some of the acoustic energy and minimizing surface reflection from it.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Glad to see you posting videos. My question would be how much dynamic impact is lost in the 200 to 700 hz range due to only having one BG 10 driver?

PS Audio, trying to duplicate Arnie Nudell's statement speaker uses the BG 10 but has a 7" servo controlled driver to cover this range as they feel it's the heart of the musical range. So in their opinion the BG 10 does not have the movement of air to handle power passages. I would tend to agree with that. You do give up some transparency and perhaps coherance, but...

Rocket Ronny

rockdrummer

Hey, liked the videos. One thing I would like to see is maybe seeing how you integrate subs. Or however you go through any setup tweaks. 

Did sound good and I particularly like the explanations.
Ben

revg1952

Danny nice to hear your voice yo put with the face. Great demo and explanation for the system.
Impressive sound.
Thanks
Gary

Jonathon Janusz

Glad to see you posting videos. My question would be how much dynamic impact is lost in the 200 to 700 hz range due to only having one BG 10 driver?

PS Audio, trying to duplicate Arnie Nudell's statement speaker uses the BG 10 but has a 7" servo controlled driver to cover this range as they feel it's the heart of the musical range. So in their opinion the BG 10 does not have the movement of air to handle power passages. I would tend to agree with that. You do give up some transparency and perhaps coherance, but...

Rocket Ronny

This subtlety is what, I think, I had a hard time putting to words when I first heard the Super-7 compared to the LS-X.  I have yet to hear them myself, but based on some comments I've read here about them, I think this is the difference in flavor between the kits that use the neo3/neo10 combo and the neo3/m165nq.  The great thing right now is that Danny has kits of both flavors that go from small to big (super-mini/super-7/serenity line arrays vs. nx-otica monitor/nx-otica/nx-extreme) so there seems to be a speaker of either flavor for just about any size room that can handle an open baffle speaker.

Danny, cool video. :thumb: You might want to check out a few how-to videos on YouTube from some of the bloggers on there who have really elevated this to an art form at this point, and even better in a lot of cases have done a lot of impressive work with cheap/free tools/tricks/hacks.

Nick77

Hey, liked the videos. One thing I would like to see is maybe seeing how you integrate subs. Or however you go through any setup tweaks. 

Did sound good and I particularly like the explanations.
Ben

+1

Danny Richie

Rocket Ronny

I've done a lot of development in this area of where to bring in servo control and where not to. Brian Ding came up once with a two way monitor equipped with 5" woofers that had servo control. It was an MTM design. I designed a passive filter for it that allowed us to switch between all passive filter driven by my big tube amps or passive filter only on the tweeter (driven by my tube amps) and servo control on the woofers.

The comparison was very telling. With servo control on the woofers the bass was far and away better than uncontrolled drivers. It was tighter, cleaner, puncher and extended lower. However, from 200Hz and up the plate amp sucked compared to the tube amp. The mid-range was blah, and not musical at all using the servo amp. The tube amps opened everything up and was musical. Vocals were lush and real. The speakers became beautiful to listen to.

So the critical area to cross over to servo woofers was 200Hz or lower. Higher up got into the mid-range and caused issues. And you never want to split the mid-range up into dissimilar drivers. That is a bad place for a phase shift too.

And as for this design (the Super Mini), the Neo 10 easily handles ranges down to 200Hz. They give up nothing playing down into those ranges even at really high SPL levels the whole system maintains a super accurate response.

Danny Richie

Danny nice to hear your voice yo put with the face. Great demo and explanation for the system.
Impressive sound.
Thanks
Gary

Thanks, I try to be clear and use correct grammar and diction. I'm fairly well educated and try to sound that way. But I am afraid my Southern voice might suggest otherwise. We tend to speak a little slower down here in Texas too.

Oscillate

"But I am afraid my Southern voice might suggest otherwise"

Many a Northerner who felt that way about Southerners and
tried horse-trading with them, ended up going home with a
lame mule that was blind in one eye.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Videos are good, the one thing that will make them look a lot better with very little effort - get more sunlight.  Videos will look a lot better if you use sunlight as your primary light source. 

And play something with BASS!! LOL. 

saygrr

Thanks Danny for the video. I have been interested in the NX-octica since it has been out, but you have several interesting speakers that are just as interesting and now these Mini's. Your video sounds nice on computer speakers and I really like the looks of the Mini's on top of the woofer section. Just can't tell how they image and how they would perform with classical music. I hope to hear your products some day. I like the Mini and woofer section being in 2 pieces. I think I need to make it to an audio show in Texas. LSAF Lone Star Audio Fest?

What is the name of the group performing the music and what is the title of the LP or CD?

Hope to see more video from you Danny. Nicely done.

Jeff