Passive Studio monitors?

Itamar4256

Passive Studio monitors?
« on: 2 Aug 2023, 06:35 pm »
I’m looking for good passive studio monitors, especially for mixing. There are a lot of very expansive gear like Amphion, who they think they are? Bastards.

I have strong amp, I thought if I buy passive speakers I can get better drivers.

Anyways, please give me some suggestions. My budget is 1,500$.

Yog Sothoth

Re: Passive Studio monitors?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2023, 09:27 pm »
Every studio I have ever worked in, both recording and broadcast, used Tannoy monitors (and Crown amps!).  I don't know the models, but it might be a starting point.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2023, 10:35 pm »
Welcome to the site. If you feel like DIY, I can whole heartedly recommend the GR Research NX-Studio. So good with a pretty small amount of elbow grease to build them. With the flatpack should be right about (or just barely over) your budget.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2023, 11:33 pm »
Selling a pair of Amphions. Check out the speakers for sale section.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2023, 11:36 pm »
If I had to use a monitor for mastering I would use a Coaxial driver as SB Satori or Beyma 12KX (BR 100L box).
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186445.msg1954661#msg1954661

https://sbacoustics.com/product/7%C2%BD-satori-mt19cp-8-paper/

This SB are very nice for a small room or near field, certainly SB of Madisound will you the plans. In case you dont want DIY I would take a Yamaha NS or better some KEF two way as LS50.

EDIT : If the purpose is listening small details from the mastertape (?) is suited a no CrossOver FR driver as Visaton B200 or some model from Lii Audio etc
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2023, 03:53 am by FullRangeMan »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2023, 11:56 pm »
Welcome to the site. If you feel like DIY, I can whole heartedly recommend the GR Research NX-Studio. So good with a pretty small amount of elbow grease to build them. With the flatpack should be right about (or just barely over) your budget.

+1

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2023, 12:01 am »
Spend some time on these sites that review and measure studio monitors (as well as other speakers) which are unique in their performance.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2023, 01:17 pm »
Passive studio monitors have been in the minority for decades for a variety of reasons.

Suggest visiting the monitor review section at "Sound On Sound" site.  They've reviewed a few passive studio monitors and their reviews are pretty straight to the point.  Note that professional monitors, passive or active, can be expensive.  One that I found was the Rogers LS5/9, that retails in the UK for $7100.  (I've owned LS3/5a clones decades ago that were very enjoyable.)  Another intriguing option is the Kerr Acoustic K300 that retails for $3255.  Other passive alternatives are the ATC SCM 20 (not cheap), Graham Audio Chartwell LS6 & LS3/5, and the aforementioned Amphion models. 

Several very good active monitors are available that cost less.  The JBL 708P is one, possibly the best overall loudspeaker I've ever owned.

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2023, 09:05 pm »
I’m looking for good passive studio monitors, especially for mixing. There are a lot of very expansive gear like Amphion, who they think they are? Bastards.

I have strong amp, I thought if I buy passive speakers I can get better drivers.

Anyways, please give me some suggestions. My budget is 1,500$.

LOLLLLLLL What do you have against Amphion? Price? Have you ever heard them (One series, Two Series)? Have you tried to mix on them?

I've had the One15s with the Amphion amps and cables for a few years and they translate quite well. Very useful and responsive. Lots of people use them and love them for their work and results, including those with expensive ATC, Genelecs, PSI, Barefoot etc and other top end or custom monitors.

Go audition a few monitors and do a couple of mixes on each and then compare the results and how they translate. That's the only way to find the right solution for yourself.

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2023, 09:37 pm »
Every studio I have ever worked in, both recording and broadcast, used Tannoy monitors (and Crown amps!).  I don't know the models, but it might be a starting point.

At the specified price point, I'd recommend the original poster look for a used pair of Tannoy System 10 DMT II or System 12 DMT or System 12 DMT II.