Using Alexa with an IDA-8 and its Dongle

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Using Alexa with an IDA-8 and its Dongle
« on: 10 Jun 2018, 02:38 am »
Has anyone tried to use Alexa with the bluetooth dongle on an IDA-8?

I'm trying to set up a system for a non tech. person that sounds decent and is easy to use. What I would like them to be able to do is tell Alexa to play music and have it play over there stereo system. I know how to do this with Sonos since they make receiving devices that you can connect to the input of your pre amp.

Does Alexa have a way to do this?

JackD

Re: Using Alexa with an IDA-8 and its Dongle
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2018, 03:57 am »
Greg

According to what I read you do it though the Echo app by pairing a new device and let it find the IDA-8.

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2018, 05:42 pm »
Alexa devices stream music via bluetooth to IDA-8 BTR-8 receiver, or a simpler way is to connect the 3.5mm analog out from Echo Dot to IDA-8 analog input.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2018, 09:41 pm »
Alex devices stream music via bluetooth to IDA-8 BTR-8 receiver, or a simpler way is to connect the 3.5mm analog out from Echo Dot to IDA-8 analog input.

Thank you Jack, thank you Rusty.

Rusty or anyone, why is it easier to use a Dot rather than a BTR-8 when sending information from Alexa? Is the Dot just easier to set up? Or, I guess there would be an advantage to having a Dot next to the IDA-8 since the Alexa is in the kitchen which is a different room. This way she could use either device to control music to her IDA-8.

Please let me know if I understand this correctly.

Thank you,

Greg

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2018, 10:12 pm »
Greg

I would first see if the Alexa set-up software finds the Bluetooth dongle of the IDA-8 and see if the sound is satisfactory to them.  I didn't care for it but that's me.  If not then put a Dot beside the IDA-8 and connect them with a 3.5 mm to RCA male cable like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66

Don't know if it will sound any better though but could.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:22 am »
Greg

I would first see if the Alexa set-up software finds the Bluetooth dongle of the IDA-8 and see if the sound is satisfactory to them.  I didn't care for it but that's me.  If not then put a Dot beside the IDA-8 and connect them with a 3.5 mm to RCA male cable like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66

Don't know if it will sound any better though but could.

That's great Jack, thank you very much.

Take Care,

Greg