All hail the New king of the Jungle: The integrated amplifier. or is it?

martyo

While I'm not young so can merely observe/comment, frankly it seems to me that the younger crowd are far more sociable than those of our age ever were.

I'm even more "not young" and I agree. They have their own ways and do not use the same "base line" as we do or did have at that time in our life. It's different now, and it was different before everyone had a hi-fi and TV too.

FWIW, in '74 my first set was an integrated with a separate tuner. Separate boxes ever since.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Yes, but that isn't the experience of listening.

Of course, but that doesn't mean that everything has to be non-self either. I guess I don't really even see why there's a dichotomy being proposed/promoted here.

The anti-Internet thing is odd, though. Surely that is sharing experience? It might not include someone who happens to be watching someone typing, but just because you're excluded from that particular interaction it doesn't mean that everybody else is. While I'm not young so can merely observe/comment, frankly it seems to me that the younger crowd are far more sociable than those of our age ever were.

We're entering an age where our self-image is more defined as an individual rather than being part of a community.  More and more of our interactions are with via A/V gear or with machines.  We're losing intimacy.  What depth of the 'human experience' do you share posting or texting back and forth?  We can't see, hear, smell, or touch each other in this media.  Empathy, devotion, and loyalty have become intellectual concepts versus shared feelings.  Service to self trumps developing rich relationships.  Emotionally we are becoming more passive (we watch, normally dysfunctional, relationships on TV while sitting alone).  Our youth now only play sports under supervision and within an organization.  Any wonder why sadly some youth have committed suicide based primarily on hurtful posts. 

How many audiophiles would rather 'listen' alone to a 'sterilized performance' (practiced and planned to death, scrubbed of any imperfections or live foibles) in a dedicated room versus getting 'real' and going into a crowd to witness the total experience live?  Would the audiophile relate to how your friend(s) or the crowd reacts/appreciates the performance?  Is that not what the concert experience is all about (and why you attend)?  Can you really or should you separate the audible inputs from the rest?  I certainly think there should be room for private space on our lives, but I fear the loss of society (shared identity).

JohnR

How many audiophiles would rather 'listen' alone to a 'sterilized performance' (practiced and planned to death, scrubbed of any imperfections or live foibles) in a dedicated room versus getting 'real' and going into a crowd to witness the total experience live?

Overall, I sort of fail to appreciate or perhaps really agree with your point. But this quote is an example of what I mean when I said why does it have to be either/or. "High fidelity" refers to a reproduction or a recording. That's the whole point - enjoyable reproduction of a recording. Making it something contra some purported "live event" is counter-productive. If one had the money and time to go and see a live concert every time music was desired, then of course, do it! But most don't; and furthermore, recordings enable us to have access to a vast number of performances that we simply wouldn't otherwise have.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Seems my situation might be a perfect example of this thread.  My wife and I recently moved into our new downsized retirement home.  I no longer have a dedicated listening room and my wife asked if I really needed all of those "boxes" and wires in the living room :duh: . . . . . well, let me think about that  :scratch: . . . so, as I'm writing this I'm awaiting word that my new LSA Statement Integrated amp is being shipped . . . . if it had a built-in headphone amp it would be a perfect one box solution for my situation. :thumb:

Yes. If I am honest, I didn't have to retire or downsize to be in your situation. Music room turned to playroom and living room...well, as above. So the perfect integrated needs a headphone amp? So doe that mean you need to be near the amp when listening or do you have headphones on a really long lead? Would a high resolution wireless system solve this issue?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
If one had the money and time to go and see a live concert every time music was desired, then of course, do it! But most don't; and furthermore, recordings enable us to have access to a vast number of performances that we simply wouldn't otherwise have.

Yes I have to agree. I think this argument takes us into a different area completely as the availability of more and more sophisticated recording tools and instruments have truly secured recording as an art form in itself. I would also argue that live recording is also an art separate from the live event. I have some, if small, experience in this area and it is a subject that can entertain through much prose on its own.

our job as developers and manufacturers of the instruments of playback of this recorded material is to convey as honestly as possible the essence of these recordings.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

jimdgoulding

Personally, I think IA's make a lot of sense.  See reviews of IA's from Mystere and Prima Luna.  Speakers should be on the more efficient side and there shouldn't be a penalty there.  In a moderate size room, that's the road I would take.  Ones with a phono section are rare if at all these days, but good separates are out there.  How about that wee giant killer Vista?  Other good ones can be had new for 600-700 bucks.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Personally, I think IA's make a lot of sense.  See reviews of IA's from Mystere and Prima Luna.  Speakers should be on the more efficient side and there shouldn't be a penalty there.  In a moderate size room, that's the road I would take.  Ones with a phono section are rare if at all these days, but good separates are out there.  How about that wee giant killer Vista?  Other good ones can be had new for 600-700 bucks.

Thanks, and yes indeed. I am far from a speaker design expert but I do think solutions should fit the problems and inefficient loudspeakers always strike me as failed solution. Of course I can understand the problems with current over efficient speakers that are a little trigger happy. These have other flaws which I am sure can be designed out by clever and innovative engineering.

Price of a good product? Well I would say value is in the heart of the buyer. My Timex watch I bought for $20 tells the time more accurately than an IWC and is full of features but I did not aspire to own it and it is but a utility. i have my eye on  a couple of time pieces which would need bank and family consultation to buy and I don;t care how accurate it tells the time. BUT I will rationalise every positive aspect of it to justify the purchase for sure. I am, however, already convinced.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
With space becoming ever more precious,especially here in Europe,  we're seeing a lot of demand for our integrated amps here at Sonneteer.  Is the Pre-power separates combination option now a thing of the past?

Also we'd be interested in knowing what do you classify as an integrated? Are digital inputs a must? A desire?

Or are we even potentially going the other way where we have a Phono pre-amp, a digital/line pre-amp and a power amp?

It's open season on formats on one of our other threads so let's bring equipment into the game.

looking forward to your thinking.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Hi just thought I'd wake this thread up. It has been a wee while since posted and things may have moved on a little with some.

We'd love to know how.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

Mike Nomad

Didn't come across it in its original form then, so, it makes for interesting reading now.

I've always been a fan of the fewer parts the better. Personally, I think most problems for hi-fi listeners have been driven by a mismatch between how many sources/formats folks want to run into a system, and whatever the norm is for that time.

I seem to have hit my maximum evolutionary density some time ago: Not less than a Two Box Solution (number of components, not including speakers). However, the roles and responsibilities seem to be changing:

/ For a long time, I had some kind of then-universal player (typically a Pioneer) plugged straight into a SS amp w/trim pots.

/ Then I got somewhat civilized: A Peachtree Audio Nova, with an Oppo BDP-93. I had the Peachtree doing as much of the DAC work as possible.

/ When I changed my speakers to Klipsch Cornwalls, the Nova got replaced with an SET that has two sets of inputs, and a stepped attenuator. So...

/ The TV remote handles volume control for OTA and Roku stuff, and I use the attenuator when I am playing the Oppo. When I replace my current Oppo with a newer one, I will have remote volume control for it, and the ability to feed it other digital sources (computer/whatever pushing out FLAC/DSD, etc.).

/ In the current setup, the DAC in the Oppo doesn't sound as good as what I had in the Peachtree. However, the improvements I got when going to an SET more than make up for it. And I have only just started messing around with rolling the input tube...

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Thanks, yes, the fewer bits to make it all sing the better, certainly from my perspective. Filling holes and flattening bumps is still patch up work. Clean and simple form the start is ideal if one can get it.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Another Update on this topic.

As we had a great deal of wonderful feedback on this thread and a couple of others, including some polls on some sites, we are actually in teh latter stages of product development on a product that was truly inspired by all the comments here.

Project Heartbeat promises to be the ultimate customisable and upgradable, integrated product.

More soon. Oh and by all means continue with comments.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
We are nearly there and much is thanks to your help. Would love any more thoughts on this topic before we get to the finish line. Even after we do, we are always evolving and responding to thoughts, ideas and critics.

Haider

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Any possibility for a more powerful (@100w) Alabaster priced (or a bit lower) basic integrated?

Thanks,
Lin

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Hi Thanks for your question.

The Alabaster price point is just about the best we can do for Made in the UK as things stand and for the quality we can deliver for you. As we develop new products and ideas 'trickle' down the range we do our best to maintain quality and pricing at this entry level.

So basically, we will do our best, but no promises. Alabaster, by the way, does deliver 105 Watts into 4 ohms. So technically we are there already.

Haider

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
.....but my ATCs are 8 ohms.  :green:

Thanks for your reply.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
haha, yes point taken. It will give you the full 55 watts into your ATCs regardless of efficiency. Alabaster likes hungry speakers.

Haider

Bonzite51

Hi Haider!

Do you have any dealer/representative near/close to Latvia, except Russia?

Thank you,
Janis

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
Hi Janis,

We currently do not have anyone in Latvia. Finland or Russia are the two closest. If you know of anyone who would be looking to represent us then we are looking.

What are you interested in. Maybe we can find a way to help.

Haider

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant

Part of the solution maybe?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk