Reflector Audio

matevana

Reflector Audio
« on: 27 Jan 2020, 12:02 pm »
I came across this pro sound company at a show, and thought I'd pass it along.  Their Bespoke and Lite models are open baffle or baffle-less, and use tuned class d amplification. Not exactly cheap, but fun to look at and listen to. The patents they hold seem to be more structural (clover mounting system) than acoustical in nature. Some of the drivers are products of Roland, a long time musician supply manufacturer.

http://www.reflector.audio/products/bespoke/e15.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Reflector Audio
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:30 pm »
This is a lot of woofers, seems Acoustics Elegance.
May be interesting to listen these speakers.
Wonder why they dont put the woofers near the floor for more bass :scratch:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2020, 12:35 am »
Well Dawid Grzyb seemed to like them, even at $35,000 or so.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/reflector/1.html

matevana

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2020, 12:17 pm »
One could attempt a DIY knock-off using something like (4) Eminence Deltalite 2515's, a B&C DE85 2" HF driver matched to a B&C ME60 horn, powered by Hypex Fusion Amps. The raw driver cost per side would be around $1k plus the cost of amplification. The Hypex fusion amps, one per side, would each power the HF/LF sections and provide the XO and equalization capabilities needed. I would look at drum kit hardware to provide the basis for a DIY stand. Would be a cool project if someone had the means.   

That being said, I do have respect for the Designers and their "white-glove" delivery and setup philosophy. I am sure they have spent many hours perfecting the design, and for most, DIY is a bit out of reach.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:20 pm »
Seems these 4 woofers/8 per stareo are intended to large rooms only, but the soundstage must be tall what looks great apparently.

Bumpy

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2020, 08:40 pm »
Not really my taste. Uses gobs of amplification to get the bass to performance and loads of DSP. All very over engineered and no finesse.
Also a Class D amp to run the higher frequencies on a £35k speaker - no thanks.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2020, 10:07 pm »
Well Dawid Grzyb seemed to like them, even at $35,000 or so.

Not including legal fees for when your wife files for divorce.
I mean, you can buy Maggie 30.7's for less, and they aren't eyesores.

matevana

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2020, 10:33 am »
Yes, as I mentioned in the original post, they are fun to listen too.  Their impact comes from how dynamic they are. Ridiculously high levels with low distortion but definitely not a finesse speaker.

Regarding class d amplification, I have been using a Cherry amp from Digital Amplifier Company (DAC) for the past year or so.  Their strength is in how they handle high frequencies.  Their designs are proprietary and don’t use boards from any of the big 3 class d houses.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2020, 04:43 pm »
Sorry, but for 35 grand, I'd expect finess to be part of the deal. At that price, I think it's reasonable to expect performance across the board, not a speaker that does one thing superbly and everything else 'meh'. Their fugliness would make me do a180 before I got that far though.

matevana

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2020, 12:32 am »
Yeah... and I'd like my Hellcat to get the gas mileage of a Prius. But it doesn't.  And I'm sure that has everything to do with design goals, and nothing to do with cost.