Data only USB cables

Bumpy

Data only USB cables
« on: 7 Feb 2020, 04:05 pm »
Most quality off board DACs incorporate their own 5 volt power supply and in that sense do no need to draw power from the source.

There is a breed of USB cables that are called data only (no power) and as such are more likely to give audiophile performance. Can anyone recommend any.

WGH

Re: Data only USB cables
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2020, 05:47 pm »
I use the JMaxwell Data Only USB Cable. I have tried a few USB cables, from a no-name generic, Straight Wire, and uber-expensive Dana Cable and the JMaxwell is the only one that stayed.

https://www.jmaxwellusb.com/Cables.aspx

I used the Shiit Psyt (rebranded Staightwire) for years and the JMaxwell is clearly better. A while ago I switched USB cables while I was troubleshooting my music server, when everything was working again the music still didn't sound right, it was flat with no low bass, then I remembered the Schiit was still in the loop, after replacing the USB with the JMaxwell the magic was back. That was a totally blind test.

Bumpy

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2020, 08:23 pm »
Looks good, but not sure available in the UK. :(

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2020, 09:16 pm »
Send Ken at JMaxwell an email, he will probably ship across the pond.

mhconley

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2020, 09:22 pm »
Option A - Make your own: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Data-Only-USB-Type-B/

Option B - Use a piece of electrical tape to cover the 5V pin on the A connector: http://folgerforum.com/t/quick-and-simple-non-destructive-mod-for-a-data-only-no-power-usb-cable/2086

I use option B and it works great.

Martin

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2020, 04:15 pm »
  What difference in sound can one expect with data only USB vs USB/5V ? Using a split TWL cable.

charles

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2020, 06:06 pm »
Most quality off board DACs incorporate their own 5 volt power supply and in that sense do no need to draw power from the source.

If this is true, they won't use the +5V of the USB.
If the +5 is not connected at all at the DAC, there won't be any DC on this line.
Makes one wonder why one should spend money on a cable without this wire as it is not used anyway.

Even if the USB receiver of the DAC is internally powered, there might be a need to draw at least some current from the USB of the computer as this is often the signal to start de device enumeration.
Without this, the PC won't recognize the DAC.

Well designed USB receivers are in general galvanically isolated from the source including optocouplers on the datalines.
You better do some cheap DIY as  mhconley suggested before wasting money on a data only cable.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2020, 08:14 pm »
  In my case I contacted the DAC manufacturer and they stated that my DAC has a 5V power supply and using a USB with power leg was NOT required. Now need to try data only. We shall see , I mean hear any difference.

charles