Help me mod my D50s

viggen

Re: Help me mod my D50s
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2020, 02:56 am »
Hi, viggen.

Thank you for your input and experimentation. I enjoy tinkering myself when I have the time (little free time now). By any chance, have you heard the Sabaj D5 DAC w/volume control?

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I was interested in the D5.  However, am more prioritizing downsizing and simplifying my stereo.  The D50s allows me to do away with a lot of wires and my audio pc.  D90 only because D50s infected me with upgraditis.  If it weren't for changing priorities I would never had tried a Sabre based dac as it never sounded good to me.

Regards,

Ed

viggen

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:00 am »
I am supposed to be switching the dacs between tracks.  But, though I was questioning D90s' long term listen-ability, I've listened to 4 tracks straight without wanting to get out of my listening lounge.  Maybe the Fisher amp has warmed up?  Maybe my ears have acclimated?  What I am noticing is I am not missing anything like I was with the D50s.  With the D50s, the sound was polite and limited range.  With the D90, the sound is solid.  There isn't that obvious tone or being melodious but am not missing that as much now... more like I am forgetting what I was missing. 

Got to switch back to D50s to make sure it's not the amp warming up that is making me like the D90 more now.

Mental note, now with BT 5.0 and LDAC, it's hard to go back to an audio pc.

viggen

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:12 am »
And, I am back.

Back to Paperback.  Yes, the amp is definitely making a difference after it's warmed up.  It's been in storage for about 6 mos after all.  There is more flavor with D50s.  The vocals are to die for.  It practically makes me want to cry if I had tears.  (i only cry in my sleep these days).  It doesn't make me listen as intently as I did when D90 was in play.  I wasn't thinking about this or that.  I just sat there listening without trying.

Next track is French Navy by Camera Obscura.  This track has a bit of a garage band sound to it despite it using some synthesizers.  It sounds good yet thin at the same time.  Still have that wanting feeling. 

Next track is You Want TaKiss by Cancisco.  It sounds alright. Now I am anxious to switch back to D90 to confirm that I will enjoy D90's lack of flavor more.

viggen

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:22 am »
OK I think I can confirm it.  D90 with Fisher amp makes me intently listen not wanting to feverishly skpping track or wondering whether I regret selling the metrum. 

Honestly, I went through years of not being able to intently listen to music. 

There are a couple of more tests I want to do. 

First, I really wanted to match the D50s up with the Greatec Muvac, the other amp I haven't tested.  Reason is they are all nice and small black chatzkies.  They look so cute together. 

Second, I want to remove the MZ2 from the chain.  After I am settled with a single DAC, I don't need a switcher anymore.  I do not know whether I still need MZ2 massaging the signal. 

If I keep the D90, I am less likely to hook my sub up.  That's more reason I don't need a preamp for that second pre out to the sub.

Listening to French Navy, the bass does hit a bit hard for my taste.  I prefer it mellow.  God I wish I could swap the opamps out in the D90 for a muses.

Off to dinner.

viggen

« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2020, 02:06 am »
I did a few more listening sessions but didn't leave any notes.  My impressions were that I couldn't find a sweet spot between the two dacs and the three amps I've been testing.  On one end, the music sounds great on the first song but starts to sound too heavy after a few more songs.  On the end, the sound is more tonally balanced with faster speed but lacks focus and drive. 

I had neglected my last amp and decided to finally put it in the system with the two dacs.  Still using my Essential PH1 as source, I hooked the D50s up to the Grundig Muvac.  And, it sounds great.  It has drive and is fleet of foot.  I then switched to the D90, the noise floor dropped, the background became black, there is more thrust in the drive but in a full but not too full sense.  I think I found my balance.

So, I couldn't just leave it be, right?  I got curious about how the D90 will sound with my pc as source.  I hooked up the PC.  but, sorry to share some frustration, my PC was malfunctioning.  Wifi and sound wasn't working, and the PCIe card wasn't powering up.  Spent a few hours trouble shooting and gave up.  Stuck the Win 2016 Server OS install USB drive in it to reformat with backup file saved.  Afterwards, I am back in business.  There has been a ton of Windows updates lately.  Maybe one of them screwed my PC up.

Anyways, my audio PC consists of a Gigabyte mb with DC power input.  A linear psu powers the mb.  A matrix element H provides USB output. the USB card is powered by an iPower ac adapter.  Mapleshade USB connects either directly to D90 or it's connected to a Matrix X-SPDIF into D90's coax input.  Software wise I am running Jplay 6.2 and VB audio asio bridge.

Going to compare D90s three connections: BT, USB and Coax.  I hope I won't lose too much with BT because ultimately want to use a tablet as source.  Just received a Samsung S5e in the mail and will be dedicated to music server duty assuming BT connection is close enough.

viggen

« Reply #25 on: 2 Feb 2020, 05:11 am »
Just listened to Notting Hill Blues by Aztec Camera using audio PC via USB.  It sounded gorgeous.  Never heard this song rendered this beautifully.  The speed, the dynamics, the details... all there.

Switching to Samsung S5e tablet via BT.  Still sounds very good.  Slightly smaller picture, detail and stage slightly rounded out, everything less grand and less live but still very good but not quite giving me chills down my spine or leaving my hair standing on ends like with the Audio PC (yes, i am exaggerating a bit to get my point across).

Switching back to audio PC but via coax.  One drawback when using audio pc is when switching sources jplay could freeze and only restarting the computer can get it back on line...

Coax is the warmest of the three... top hats has a warm glow when it shimmer... vocals are deeper and softer... a bit more emotional... like you can tell the vocalist is a smoker a bit better via coax than usb and bt.  my eyes are slightly tearing up more than when using USB. 

If my memory serves, USB still has more drive, speed and dynamics than when using coax.

The Matrix X-SPDIF is an older self powered model.  So, maybe it's a bit subpar as an usb-coax converter.  Another caveat is I just realized I am not streaming CD quality off Tidal.  I have the $10 per month service and it shows "Hi" but not "Hi-Fi" in its streaming level. 

viggen

« Reply #26 on: 2 Feb 2020, 05:28 am »
Now listening to Notting Hill Blues on audio PC using Foobar playing FLAC via USB to USB-Coax conversion to D90's Coax input.  Yes, there's a difference between FLAC and Tidal's "hi" streaming.  It's not a big difference.  Slightly more detail.  Very slight.  The vocalist's roughness in his voice is slightly more rough.  It does sound more "right" overall.  But, nothing I'd feel is missing when streaming FLAC if I weren't doing back to back comparisons like I am doing now.

Now listening to the same song as same setup as above except using USB instead of coax.  Sound is slightly brighter, less warm.  Voice is less rough a more sibilant in higher notes... less rounding off.  The combined distinctive dynamics of each drum/kickdrum/highhat hit is much more noticeable and dramatic like Boom Boom Da Chi... instead of boomboomachi when using coax.

So... I think USB is most concert like.  Coax and BT is better for background music... music for multitasking.

Jon L

« Reply #27 on: 2 Feb 2020, 05:36 am »

The Matrix X-SPDIF is an older self powered model.  So, maybe it's a bit subpar as an usb-coax converter. 

Good work so far.  The Matrix is likely still good enough for your purposes.  Do yourself a favor and use one (or both) of the adapters below to get rid of either one spdif cable or usb cable.  Obviously getting rid of both is better, but you would have to align the audio pc, DAC, (and Matrix if getting rid of both cables).  The improvement by doing this may exceed the improvement by switching DAC's IME. 

RCArca by drjlo2, on Flickr

USBa-b by drjlo2, on Flickr

viggen

« Reply #28 on: 2 Feb 2020, 05:41 am »
So, what to do now.  I bought the new D90 specifically so i can go wireless, make the living room more child safe and to control of the music source from the comfort of my listening position.  I've really grown attached to using my phone as source so much so that i splurged on a tablet so I can play games on my phone while the tablet is used as sole audio source.  But, for certain nights when I want to be lost in my music, I think I can't put my audio pc out of service yet. 

Final verdict:

1) Sunday - Thursday: Tablet-BT-D90-Grundig-Altec
2) Friday - Saturday: Audio PC-USB-D90-Grundig-Altec

Only other consideration is whether I want to up my Tidal subscription from hi to hifi.  I started Tidal with 4 month free hifi subscription then downgraded to hi after the 4th month.  I was mainly using headphones at work during those 4 months and can tell a small difference in sound but wasn't worth the premium for how I was using it.  but, now that my system is sounding much better either using USB or BT, I think the premium might be worth it as long as i have time to waste on my listening lounge.

I have to say, since I bought the D50s then the D90, my overall life quality has lifted.  I hypothesize it's because I've been listening to more music in the past week and have calmed my soul a bit hence taking life more in stride.  Speaking of which.. time to get back on the couch.

viggen

« Reply #29 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:01 am »
Good work so far.  The Matrix is likely still good enough for your purposes.  Do yourself a favor and use one (or both) of the adapters below to get rid of either one spdif cable or usb cable.  Obviously getting rid of both is better, but you would have to align the audio pc, DAC, (and Matrix if getting rid of both cables).  The improvement by doing this may exceed the improvement by switching DAC's IME. 

Thanks for the reminder.  Always enjoyed your responses here and at headfi.  I don't want to use coax going forward though.  Trying to be as wireless and converterless as possible.  USB would be the occasional treat.

Jon L

« Reply #30 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:13 am »
Thanks for the reminder.  Always enjoyed your responses here and at headfi.  I don't want to use coax going forward though.  Trying to be as wireless and converterless as possible.  USB would be the occasional treat.

I'm intently watching posts like yours to "discover" that lower-cost DAC for my second system that will equal/exceed the SQ of my Chord Qutest DAC.  Although there are already several DAC's that measure better per ASR  :green: , I wouldn't be too suprised if I end up with another Chord after all...

viggen

« Reply #31 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:21 am »
I'm intently watching posts like yours to "discover" that lower-cost DAC for my second system that will equal/exceed the SQ of my Chord Qutest DAC.  Although there are already several DAC's that measure better per ASR  :green: , I wouldn't be too suprised if I end up with another Chord after all...

If you're near OC, would love to do a dac shoot out.  Well, you can always buy a D90 from amazon then return it if you don't like it.  Seems to be sold out on amazon though.  I got a great deal on amazon via apos for a refurbished one. 

viggen

« Reply #32 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:22 am »
D50s is going back to Amazon.  Going to un mod it now.  Got a spare Muses02 opamp... message me if interested  :lol: