Do you use your Truth unit as a preamp?

Big Red Machine

Do you use your Truth unit as a preamp?
« on: 2 Mar 2009, 02:21 am »
Do any of you guys use your Truth units or even stock TPs as volume controls for your systems?  I was wondering if eliminating the preamp unit sufficed if you only had the digital source anyways?

Philistine

Re: Do you use your Truth unit as a preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2009, 02:27 am »
I've used my TP without a preamp into a Butler 3150 as a temporary measure, and it functioned fine as a volume control.  Over on the SlimDevices forum Sean Adams councils against using it direct into an amp on the basis that software glitches can max out the volume unexpectedly, some guys over there put an attenuator in the path to compensate for this when not using a preamp.  I'm not aware of anyone with a MWTP who is not using a preamp. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2009, 02:56 am »
George used to use his "Truth unit" (sounds like a lie detector machine) direct to amp, but says the addition of a preamp has transformed the sound.  In full disclosure, his At-Ma's didn't have enough gain without anyway, but the added Plinius M8 (their lower end but highly regarded pre) was startlingly good (weight, soundstage, everything).   On a few occasions I've run the MW TP straight in (for grins or when pre is being updated, etc.), but it loses organic qualities, weight, soundstage depth.

The digital volume control loses bits (and resolution) at the lower end; all do, basically.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2009, 02:58 am »
Do any of you guys use your Truth units or even stock TPs as volume controls for your systems?  I was wondering if eliminating the preamp unit sufficed if you only had the digital source anyways?

Pete,

I have tried it both ways with good results.

In my system, I really needed the extra gain that a preamp provides.  My amps need relatively high voltage and my speakers are only around 87db's.  That, plus the fact that my room is decent sized, means that I could only hit so high on the SPL meter without an active preamp.

Before I added the Plinius M8 weeks ago, I was running the Modwright without a preamp and it sounded quite good.  I never had any issues with the volume control and thought it did a good job.  Due to my gain issues, I never had to attenuate the volume substantially, so I also never had to worry about too mny bits being lost.

George

owenmd

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2009, 04:07 pm »
I've used the MWTP direct into a couple of different SS amps over the last year or so and while it sounded "OK", I thought it was a bit anemic, unexciting and lacking dynamics and detail.  I happened to have a Burson buffer and so tried this single ended in between and there was significant improvement.... the unit adds about 6db gain and through impedance matching (so I am told?) improves transparency, dynamics and detail.

I've also tried a couple of sub 1.5K preamps in the TP system and found no significant improvement over the Burson.  My gut feeling is that a "really good" preamp would definitely be a significant improvement, but as we all know, also cost big bucks.... other domestic priorities etc!  So my current conclusion and YOMV..... is get a really good preamp, or stick with the $400 Burson.

I'm currently running my TP into the Burson and then into a Vaughn Carina.... which technically is an integrated as it has its own volume control.... but I've never felt so emotionally moved as with this combo.... its is beautiful.  I set the Carina volume control so I can operate in the top 20% of the TP volume control to keep all my bits together!

Mark

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2009, 05:02 pm »
I have run my TP both directly to my amp and through a pre. Every time I have found an increase in bass weight, soundstaging/imaging, and micro detail retrieval by having the addition of a quality line stage.