Denon DVD5900 Universal Truth Mod has arrived

Cyberbod

« on: 25 Jul 2004, 03:58 am »
I received my Denon DVD5900 with the Universal Truth mod, Signiture mod, AC Bybees, Stereo analog out Bybees, LC Audio XO3 Clock, and Revelation Audio Reference Cryo-Silver Tube Power Supply umbilical. Give me a couple weeks to burn it in, and I will submit a review. My impressions so far are very listenable improved dynamics, lots of space between instruments, and overall I find myself just enjoying the music and not being analitical. More thorough impressions to come.   :lol:

StevenACNJ

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2004, 12:59 pm »
Sounds lke it should be a really nice player. Cant wait to hear your results.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Denon DVD5900 Universal Truth Mod has arrived
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2004, 01:19 pm »
Quote from: Cyberbod
I received my Denon DVD5900 with the Universal Truth mod, Signiture mod, AC Bybees, Stereo analog out Bybees, LC Audio XO3 Clock, and Revelation Audio Reference Cryo-Silver Tube Power Supply umbilical. Give me a couple weeks to burn it in, and I will submit a review. My impressions so far are very listenable improved dynamics, lots of space between instruments, and overall I find myself just enjoying the music and not being analitical. More thorough impressions to come.   :lol:

What was the cost on the mods?

George

Cyberbod

Cost
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2004, 04:26 pm »
I PM'd you the grand total. All prices are listed on the modwright websight except the three channel only signiture mod ($400.00.) Also Dan honored an early quote of $1400.00 for the absolute truth mod (now $1600.00 because it became a bit more involved than originally expected.) It is "sweet" and keeps getting better as the burn in progresses. It's dirty work, but somebody has to do it. :roll:

Cyberbod

Modded 5900 Review
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2004, 04:49 pm »
For mod details: See the first post.

Let me just say right out front that I have not been able to do a direct comparison with any other "hi end" source.

Well, the 5900 is burned in and blooming. It blossomed last night (while the wife's away the audiophile will play.)

I'm a 55-year-old truck driver with a BBA and a history of Rock & Roll. In the late 60's early 70's I was an FM DJ at a progressive rock station "Album Oriented Rock" (meaning we played the long version of  "Light my Fire.)

I had two decent systems back then. One featured Dalquist DQ 10's with an active crossover and separate power amp for the DQ 1W subwoofer,and a Harman Kardon linear tracking turntable. The other featured Magnapan MGIIb's bi-amped, an AR tube pre-amp, Linn LP 12 turntable with a Dynavecter Ruby Cantilever MC cartriage.

I was without a system until my divorce about eight years ago. It built up gradually to what it is today, a close to state of the art budget (within reason) home theater system. I have B&W matrix 805's front with matching center, all three have Bybee Slipstream Quantum Purifiers on the + post of each driver. Mirage MC 3's surrounds, Mirage 190is rears, and Paradigm Servo-15 subwoofer. My receiver is a Denon AVR5800 upgraded and I have an X-Can v2 (modded) with Seinheiser HD600 headphones and Stefan AudioArt wire. My 5 channel interconnects are JPS labs ultraconductors. My stereo interconnects are JPS Labs Superconductor FX, with Audience AU24's connecting the headphone amp. My power conditioner is a Monster Power HTS3500 mkII with Auricap mod at the mains. I have VH audio power cords throughout with the exception of the Denon DVD5900 which has a  JPS labs digital power cord. Speaker wire is DIY dual run from "Secrets of Home Theater" website.

I will limit this review to redbook CD,s, played on 7 channel stereo, through JPS labs Superconductor FX interconnects. The musicality of the Modwright DVD5900 is nothing short of stunning. I listen primarily to jazz and classical music these days with a smattering of classic rock. I started listening to some familiar reference stuff like "Mellisa Walker: May I Feel," a lot less grainy in the vocals. Milt Jackon's "Memories of Thelonious Sphere Monk" came alive like never before; Lots of black, much more attack on the bass and drums but with an overall mellowness that was not there before. The best of both worlds: Dynamics and Smoothness. That’s a difficult feat, but the Modwright does it effortlessly.

Ok, that all happened in the "burn in" phase. Last night I had the music machine to myself, so it was time to "Kick out the Jams ****** ******'s". There are some CD's I just didn't play because of "poor sound quality" on CD. I remember how wonderful they were on LP way back when. I decided to try one of these previously unlistenable CD's "The Yes Album" by "The Yes." You could have flown a 747 into my mouth! Yowzer! I have seen "The Yes" live twice. The Modwright experience took me back to "being there" only better. I got to choose the perfect volume. I had the best seat in the house, a smoke free environment. I was THERE folks. I distinctly heard every note from Tony Kaye's organ, Steve Howe's guitar, Bill Bruford's drums, John Anderson's vocals are always superb, and this was unlistenable on the stock player! Separation. Detail. Musicality. It sprung to life like one of those time lapse photography gardens you see on TV. So this is the flashback thing I heard so much about in the 60's. Thanks Dan.

modwright

Thank you!
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2004, 05:26 pm »
It has been a VERY busy and long past few weeks....I really appreciate your positive feedback :).

I truly think that this player with these mods is some of if not THE best digital that we have produced to date.

Thanks again for making a bright spot in my VERY busy day :).

Dan

ScottMayo

Re: Modded 5900 Review
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2004, 08:14 pm »
There are some CD's I just didn't play because of "poor sound quality" on CD. ... The Modwright experience took me back to "being there" only better.

I can second this. I have a modded 2900, and the difference in audio between it, and both my old DVD player and my old CD player, are huge. Low frequency sound, which was once muddy, is now crystal clear. Highs are less brash. I'm listening to old CDs again, and smiling.

Psychicanimal

Re: Modded 5900 Review
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2004, 06:08 am »
Lots of black, much more attack on the bass and drums...The best of both worlds: Dynamics and Smoothness. That’s a difficult feat, but the Modwright does it effortlessly.

That's how my Modwright modded belt drive transport sounds... :mrgreen:

Cyberbod

Even Better
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2004, 02:54 am »
I swapped out the JPS Labs Superconductor FX interconnects for Audience AU24's. The dynamics are still there, but with an almost liquid flow. No listener fatigue here. I was using these on my headphone amp and attributed much of the sound to the amp. I now know that it was largely the interconnects.  :mrgreen:

Psychicanimal

Re: Even Better
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2004, 03:00 am »
I swapped out the JPS Labs Superconductor FX interconnects for Audience AU24's. The dynamics are still there, but with an almost liquid flow. No listener fatigue here. I was using these on my headphone amp and attributed much of the sound to the amp. I now know that it was largely the interconnects.  :mrgreen:

If you try some cotton insulated silver interconnects like the VenHaus or Ridge Street you're going to be blown away! :bounce:

Cyberbod

interconnects
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2004, 11:30 am »
I'll be checking out VH audio tonight. I only wish I got in on Chris's introductory offer on those.

ampgalore

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2004, 11:42 am »
What was the introductory offer?

Tom Bowlus

« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2004, 04:22 pm »
I can also attest to the phenomenally musical, detailed yet warm, involving sound of the Universal Truth Tube mods from Dan.  I also did the multi-channel Signature Truth mods, 5 channels of Slipstream Bybees, and upgraded to the Ref. Sig. cryo'd umbilical.  This is definitely the best digital source that I have heard, though it is my first with a tubed output.  So far, all my listening has been in 2-channel, but I am stunned by how good it sounds!

jnug

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2004, 08:51 pm »
Mine should be returned from Modwright shortly.

I am wondering if you have noticed any improvement in detail especially in the mid to upper frequency bands as a result of the mods.

I am not sure that the tubes would help in that area but the clock and the filters might.

Your thoughts?

jnug

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2004, 08:51 pm »
Mine should be returned from Modwright shortly.

I am wondering if you have noticed any improvement in detail especially in the mid to upper frequency bands as a result of the mods.

I am not sure that the tubes would help in that area but the clock and the filters might.

Your thoughts?

Cyberbod

detail
« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2004, 12:41 am »
There is a definite improvement in detail. It is easy to pick out individual instruments when a lot of stuff is happening all at once.

jnug

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2004, 03:47 am »
That is good to hear since detail has been one of the weak points of the stock 5900 in my view.

In fact I think I might try some rollerblocks or devices like rollerblocks as they are often a useful tool for source equipment that seems a bit biased toward base response while being a bit short on detail. I would not be surprised if the result was an overall more neutral presentation with  a bit less bias in the bass and a bit more detail even with the mods.

Tom Bowlus

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2004, 12:44 pm »
I had Dan mod mine before I even took possession of it, so I can't compare it to stock, but I will say that my modded 5900 has equal or greater detail as compared to my Arcam FMJ CD23T, which is a respectable CD player.

Cyberbod

« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2004, 04:25 am »
Thanks Psychicanimal for the suggestion. I completed the relevant assembly of VH audio DIY .9999% silver unshielded IC's. Spent a little time critically listening. In a word the silver IC's are "revealing". Whereas the AU24's are in a word "polite". I would have no qualms recommending either of these fine interconnects. But this thread is about the Universal Truth mod. The 5900 has nothing to hide from the VH silver's. I guess the silver IC's bring out a closer to real life sound: deeper bottom end, a little more brilliance in the snares, a little more punch in the drums, vocals are as smooth and grain free as the AU24's but slightly forward. I'm liking the modded 5900 even more. Now I need to make four more pairs to replace the 5.1s and the headphone amp IC's. It's tedious work, but rewarding.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2004, 05:30 pm »
Thanks Psychicanimal for the suggestion. I completed...

You're welcome.  I've tried many types of cabling.  I would still like to try silver insulated with rice paper, like the Japanese do.  I understand these cables are really good, though cotton might be more durable and longer lasting.

As you insert more silver cables in the audio train the sound will get better and the distance between the Audience and the VenHaus will increase.  One will sound like music, the other like really good Hi-Fi (no offense meant to anyone). :nono:

The Black Gate's in my modded belt drive transport finaly broke in.  I had to call Danny Boy and say that I love him!!! :oops:   The sound is phenomenal:  super fast, detailed, smooth yet dynamic.  He's got it... :mrgreen: